Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57939 Mon Jun 05 2006 11:16 AM
C
crfonck Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am new to the site, as well as searching for DX information. My father owned the "30 West" DX station in Cedar Rapids Iowa from the 1960's to 1986, and after he passed away I have been more interested in collecting bits and pieces of DX memorabilia.

Can anyone tell me their preferences on what books are good for the history of the brand, color schemes used thru history (particularly the 70's & 80's), gas pump styles, etc? From this web site, it looks as though several books are available, but just wanted to know if any contain a decent amount of DX info. I have a couple of DX gas cans I would like to restore, and I would eventually like to restore a gas pump in DX colors.

Thanks for the help and advise

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#57940 Mon Jun 05 2006 12:11 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Welcome to the site.

Was that the station on the corner of Bowling St. and Wilson Ave. on the S.W side of town? I've seen a ton of original DX pumps, most were Tokheim 39's painted all red.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#57941 Mon Jun 05 2006 03:16 PM
C
crfonck Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Brian, thanks for the quick response. My father's DX station was on the corner of 16th Ave and edgewood rd, where the Quick Trip is now. The station you are referring to is near where I grew up and is owned by the Novaks, and I think used to be a Sinclair before it was a Texaco.

Where have you found the older red DX pumps? Also, do you know of any books that show color schemes of DX pumps thru it's history?

#57942 Mon Jun 05 2006 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gas pump restorations book by Benjamin/Henderson should give the correct color combinations for the differant DX brands.
Someone else will have to tell you which book is best for history.
db

#57943 Mon Jun 05 2006 07:24 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
The DX was across the street from Novaks, Jim Novak is the one who got me into this crazy stuff. Novaks went from Getty to Texaco to Sinclair.

I remember the one your talking about though.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 06-05-2006).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved