Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#579008 Sat Nov 08 2014 06:02 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Any PURE oil experts here who might be able to tell me if there was a PURE oil gas station in Toledo Ohio at the corner of Monroe & Stannard streets? I bought a globe off a gent who worked for Pure oil and when they were sold to Union Oil in the mid 1960's, it was his job to jacket all of the Pure oil pumps in the Ohio area and he told me he destroyed many PURE oil globes as he eliminated all references to PURE oil at the time. Anyway, he states he kept one for himself and thinks that is where the globe I purchased from him came from. Thought someone on here might have an old Ohio PURE oil map with a listing of the dealers in the Toledo area. Any help, I would appreciate it!

Kevin

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Currently there is a gas station there according to Google Maps.

Mike
strnge #579937 Wed Nov 12 2014 10:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The building at that location, although a Sunoco station today, is of the style built by Union Oil in the 1960s and used by their Pure Oil subsidiary beginning in 1966 or 1967. These were often built to replace older stations, so that part of the story makes sense. However, most of the Pure Oil stations in Toldeo had originally been Hi Speed stations, which rebranded to Pure in 1951-1952. Pure was not usually using globes for newly built or branded sites by that time period. Pure would have, by the early 1950s, used globes only when they took over a site where pumps had globe holders and needed globes to seal them up. Almost no new sites specified with them in that era. If the globe came from here, chances are it was one of the few in Toldeo to use them.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
That is some great information and insight! I really do appreciate your thoughts regarding my query. The gentleman seemed pretty sure that is where he snatched it from, in fact he stated it was amazing after all these years he could remember the specific street address (226) when most simple daily things slip his mind! Actually, he stated that years from the point in which he began his career with Pure, he ended up as an executive with Union oil. Regardless of whether he is accurate in his recollection or not, the globe has found a home in my collection for many years and the care and expense he put forth in shipping it to me is a solid reflection of just how much he valued it and wished for it to survive for years to come. Thanks again. I really wanted to know so that when my guardianship ends, I can pass along a neat story to the next owner of the globe.

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Pure didn't generally mark its maps with station locations the way that DX and Cities Service tended to do. I don't think I've ever seen one post-1930s with any locations listed, either.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved