Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sunoco Restroom Sign Bracket (new)…Unpainted.. $75.00 plus shipping...$10% to Oldgas... Thanks, Owen

sign bracket sunoco restroom.jpg sign bracket top view Sunoco.jpg
Last edited by LOWright; Wed Dec 03 2014 06:19 PM.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that was quick, nice work... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I had it all made, just needed the spacing…Thanks

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I saw this on ebay.
Of course you have stamped this DEEP with "REPRODUCTION 2014" right??
These restroom signs are somewhat dear to my heart. This brkt looks real nice, but personally, I'm not thrilled to see it reproduced like this. But then again, I do see a need for it, and if need be, I would proudly display my own sign on this brkt. You've done a nice job. But it has to be marked.
Please tell me it is so!!!!

On a more technical point, how accurate did you do this? Aside from the spacing asked about in your other posting, did you have one to measure or did you get measurements supplied by someone? Or was it created only through pictures and proportion?
Again, nice job, I just want to know how to tell yours from an original 20 years from know.

Last edited by Steve C.; Thu Dec 04 2014 03:33 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
WOW Steve,, are you kidding me ?
Tell all the guys reproducing all the gas pump parts, air meter parts, metal globe bodies, glass bodies, hoses, decals.. does that really sound necessary or practical ?
This subject of reproduction stuff has gotten ridiculous ...
I only wish I were that talented ,, great job., price is right too.. keep up the good work

Last edited by Wes Hague; Thu Dec 04 2014 05:50 AM.

Wes.......
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I will take it. PM me info.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
PS...are you the guy that has been asking about spacing on my ebay auction..I wish I knew what the heck you were asking for if so...I thought you were trying to tell me it was fake or something. I will PM the info.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wes,
I couldn't be more serious. But at the same time, he can tell me to take a hike if he wants.
As to all the other parts you spoke of being marked. I imagine there are those that wish they all were. I would be in that camp. But I don't know the process in which they are made so I cannot speak to the difficulty that would exist in making that happen.
But this piece, it would be nothing to take 5 minutes and stamp them on the back of the flange.
Imagine how many fake signs, being sold as originals, are going to be hanging on these brackets in a couple of years??

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sold! I can make a few more if you need one! Thanks Matthew !

Jim,
Can you give me you Paypal account? Thanks OLDGAS!

Last edited by LOWright; Thu Dec 04 2014 01:49 PM.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Paid. thanks.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I also thought you would enjoy having some fun with this...Obviously I should stay out of the ring with ALI.

http://i61.tinypic.com/357kcpu.jpg

Last edited by Man Cave; Thu Dec 04 2014 10:33 AM.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Well said Wes, I agree that ALL globes and signs need to be dated however this bracket is certainly another thing. MANY people have made and reproduced all sorts of brackets and sign rings for our hobby as most rings have been destroyed, thrown away etc. My vote is that it's not necessary to mark this type of item
Ray

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Try telling Ron Scobie, Robbie Dinsmore, Scott Anderson, the list can go on and on,,literally dozens of good guys on here and around the country working their a ss off making things for restorers,, isn't that what the word restoring pumps, air meters etc. is all about ?
Be reasonable in your thinking..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will add my 2 cents...
Some guys will want all original! Some people need to realize that for example there are more lenses than bodies out there. So repop bodies are a necessity so we can display lenses, do we wish the bodies were marked... yes but their not. There for the value of repop and original are about same.

I see signs the same... brackets being aftermarket doesn't hurt the sign as there are more signs than brackets.

True value is in the sign and globes it's in the lenses.

Same goes for cans... relidding doesn't hurt the value because the value is in the can.

Now there are guys that do want original lids, brackets and bodies... you bet but does it warrant more money?
You just have to draw the line some where right?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Hi Owen, I would buy 2 of them, thanks Dan

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
That's what I'm saying, don't be ridiculous on the marking everything reproduction.. of all the gas pumps out there in the world there are less than 1% that will have 100% original parts on it.. I know this to be fact as I worked on gas pumps as a private contractor back in the 60-70-80"s,, if the pump manufacturer didn't have it we had it made or used something else,, same as paint, red was red , yellow was yellow, green was green, as long as it was close, it didn't matter.. gas pumps, signs,etc. are NOT matching numbers items, these aren't Corvette's ,,,

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really... i think pump restoration is a little different Wes. Same applies to guys that want nothing but original parts and some don't.

There is no correct right or wrong answer.

I don't like reproduction that is UNMARKED! It all needs to be marked!

30" signs or displaying repop globes or cans is decorating... not collecting.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For what it's worth; I agree with Steve. Any collector, should be able to see Steve's thought process and passion.

No need to drag any other names into this. One can only be responsible for their own actions and cannot compel or make others do anything. At the end of day, it is up to that individual to do what they deem is necessary to preserve the integrity of these items we collect. I have never been one to justify my actions based on what others are or not doing.

Personally, I feel that Owen is very talented and takes great pride in the items he fabricates. This is a great piece and he should be proud to display his name and date on it.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Dave if you go back to Steve's original statement, he is trying to tell Owen that he should mark the items, I didn't see where he wanted to display his name and date on it.. All I'm saying is where do you stop with this marking reproduction items,, sign brackets, gas pump parts, air meter parts, metal globe bodies,all the small pieces inside an air meter ? We already all agree that signs and globe lenses should be done,oh ya and quart cans.

Wes.......
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
From my original posting.

Of course you have stamped this DEEP with "REPRODUCTION 2014" right??

I would proudly display my own sign on this brkt. You've done a nice job. But it has to be marked.
Please tell me it is so!!!!

Wes, I dont want to argue about it. It's just how I feel about such a piece. And it would take 5 minutes to do it.
Can anyone give me ONE good reason, why not to stamp it?
And FWIW, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed that Owen didn't even comment about it.

Oh well, on to other things.
Agian, great looking brkt Owen.

Last edited by Steve C.; Thu Dec 04 2014 05:03 PM.

Steve Coppens
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
One reason is it would take five minutes to stamp it and two minutes to grind it off.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gas stuff.com
One reason is it would take five minutes to stamp it and two minutes to grind it off.

Very true

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Somebody is ALWAYS Raining on someone's parade . Too bad but that's the way it is nowdays.
Great work , keep it up and hope you sell a slew of them.

Last edited by buzzy56; Thu Dec 04 2014 09:43 PM.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will be buying one of these sometime soon. Awesome work.

-Brian
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Two on the way to Panama Dan, Thanks! Made six and have two left if anyone else wants one for this price…Thanks

Last edited by LOWright; Fri Dec 05 2014 08:19 AM.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I will take another....Damn Should have thought about it earlier huh? I owe someone a favor.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Last one for the Oldgas price…Anyone! Thanks!

Last edited by LOWright; Fri Dec 05 2014 07:18 PM.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
No need to mark it reproduction, because he made it.

Your ridiculous if you think people should mark them.

Mike
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
With brackets especially, there are so many different styles and they have been interchanged throughout the years with different signs. I don't see a need. Pretty easy to look at it and know it's not original. Plus, maybe I haven't ever cared enough to look, but are the original brackets marked regularly?

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What are the dimensions of these brackets? I must have missed that in the thread.

Thanks

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Everyone I Have seen made with a sign attached, has increased the value of the sign more than just the cost of the bracket. These brackets arn't just something that holds the sign on the wall. They are custom made pieces of art. Extremely high quality work . The only marking he should put on them is his logo or signature. Not so we can know they arnt original. But so Owen gets the credit for something he designed and Hand crafted.

Just to be clear, here is the repro marking rule from the For Sale Guidelines:
"All reproduction and fantasy signs, globes, cans and bottles must be marked in a permanent manner for said items to be offered for sale on Oldgas.com."

So we don't require that new sign brackets or new gas pump parts be marked.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Oldgas

So we don't require that new sign brackets or new gas pump parts be marked.

So let it be written. So let it be done.
But with all due respect Jim, and I hope you know that I love this site and this hobby, but my issue here transcends any rules that may exist on Oldgas.com

Look, I'm not here to argue about it. My intentions were only for that of the hobby. And I still stand by my original statement that they should be marked. What possible reason is there not to?? If you guys can't see that in 10, 20 or 30 years or more these are going to be being sold as ORIGINAL, then I can't help you. Do you honestly not see that?? And it's not about the money or any value it may add!! It's about the history!!

And for what it's worth for those who didn't actually read my entire original post, I said I would be proud to hang any sign of mine on one these brackets!! They are very nicely done. That was never the issue.

And one more thing and then I am done with this. And this is just were "I" stand on such a thing. ANY, bracket, curb sign stand, bla bla bla, that is recreated to mimic an original piece, should be marked!! Even a one off piece that you make in your garage! Put your name on it! Put the date on it!! It is not about us!! It's about the future and the history!! What if someone decided to start casting curb sign bases? Would you not think they should be marked??

One real quick thought relative to the repop pump parts. When you take a pump and stip it down to it's birthday suit, and give it a new SEMA quality paint job. Polish the brass and shine it all up. What difference does it make at that point if there is a repop window bezel or rubber door strip? It's not the same thing! Now the large pieces like I've seen cast that go on top of certain pumps and such, these piece should be marked. Are they, I imagine not.

Thanks for your time. Now go ahead and flame me if you want.

I'm movin' on!!

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Not the hill i am going to die on!

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I personally think OLDGAS has left it's self wide open to criticism on this one. When you pick a select group of companies ( signs, globes, cans , bottles )that have to be clearly marked when there are so many other items being reproduced today , literally hundreds, it's not fair to them. I know a while back maybe 2 years ago or so I advertised a Red Indian door push for sale and said it was a reproduction piece ,although it was not marked, and it wasn't even a reproduction piece as they were never made originally, it was a fantasy piece. A member on here bought it knowingly that it was not an original item but just liked it. OLDGAS said I couldn't sell it on that particular thread. To me it didn't fall under the category of signs, globes, cans and bottles. So what I'm saying is when you start trying to determine what's allowed on here as a reproduced piece and what isn't it's going to be up for discussion.. or not...Just like this bracket,, signs not allowed but brackets are.. globe lense's are not but the metal bodies are. Air meters are a whole new subject, you can build the whole air meter out of reproduced pieces now.. none of that's stamped... gas pumps are the same.. I'm just saying ,this subject is likely the most discussed topic on here and the topic that has the most opinions because it's so unfair to some guys that reproduce stuff. Every time there is an item on OLDGAS that someone hasn't seen before the first thing they cry out is " MUST BE A FAKE " and there goes the arguments..

Wes.......
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
All this for a sign bracket? End this thread and leave the man alone.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
no body is picking on the man if you read this thread,, it's not about the sign bracket,if you don't like reading it , get lost

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sat Dec 06 2014 07:49 AM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will take the last one of these contraversial brackets and I do not even have one of these signs yet. John

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Bbburke
Everyone I Have seen made with a sign attached, has increased the value of the sign more than just the cost of the bracket. These brackets arn't just something that holds the sign on the wall. They are custom made pieces of art. Extremely high quality work . The only marking he should put on them is his logo or signature. Not so we can know they arnt original. But so Owen gets the credit for something he designed and Hand crafted.

The only marking he should put on them is his logo or signature. Not so we can know they arnt original. But so Owen gets the credit for something he designed and Hand crafted.

Kind of hard not to agree whith Bbburke..... Owen is a True Craftsman.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's amazing how passionate many of us are on our hobby. LOL

Owen you have talent and you did a nice job building something our hobby needs to hang a sign.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Agree...and Owen should stamp PASSIONATE on it too. laugh

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'll take an apology Wes

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
My apologies Terry , I shouldn't have been so harsh.. It really bothers me on OLDGAS when some people try telling others what they should and shouldn't do with their items on here..should they mark them or shouldn't they.
Ya there fakes, no there not.. many think they are experts on everything and I've always said on here, nobody knows everything or seen everything.. I think Owen has done a great service to the hobby by making such needed items.. only to have them judged by someone who thinks they should be marked for his convenience... JMO...

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This thread is proof that any publicity is good publicity. If you go back and read the past comments you will notice something. During the course of the arguments between different people. Owen sold all the brackets he originally had, made more, and sold those as well. Nothing like a little controversy to get people paying attention to your thread

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I was thinking the same thing,, grin he does GREAT work.. nothing wrong with productive arguments/discussions.. because we are all passionate about the hobby or we wouldn't be on OLDGAS...

Wes.......
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I was done with this, but...

Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
only to have them judged by someone who thinks they should be marked for his convenience...

Wes, for my convenience? Have you read my post's? Of course you did. So what does it have to do with me? Please keep it about the hobby and don't make it personal.

And FWIW, the only judgement I cast on the brackets was to say they are great and fill a needed void.

Last edited by Steve C.; Sun Dec 07 2014 06:37 AM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Nine more if you need one $80.00 plus shipping and these are signed on the scroll side of wall plate. Thanks, Owen

Yes they are five dollars more and i said the others were the last at $75.00 Plus there signed!

Sunoco sign bracket stack.jpg signture L.O.Wright.jpg
Last edited by LOWright; Sun Dec 07 2014 09:12 AM.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another one headed to New York! Thanks John!

Last edited by LOWright; Sun Dec 07 2014 08:45 PM.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
And to Ohio…. Thanks Jim!

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Nice looking brackets, good job.

Can't believe people are getting worked up over unmarked iron brackets to hang signs on.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Steve C.
I think you've made some valid points.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I agree - and I also like Owen's signature on the brackets...if I were him, I'd sign everything...everything I've seen him post on Oldgas is first-rate...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
One on the way to California…... Thanks Jason!

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Anybody have any advise on where one can purchase a sign bracket.
THE END

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
hotcidr. Owen will make you any style bracket you need. I would get ahold of him.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Owen. Can't wait until it arrives!

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

R
R
Great looking brackets LOWright. I've made a few brackets for myself and the fact that I used a wire welder or a TIG welder to do so should be a dead giveaway they are not original. Just my 2 cents on judging how old something is.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bracket arrived today and is beautiful. Fast shipping. Thanks Owen!

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ditto what Jason said .... arrived today and it is great. Thanks Owen.

John

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
It looks this good:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2e4g7yc.jpg

Last edited by Man Cave; Thu Dec 11 2014 05:59 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Guys!

Matthew,
I'll ship another one in the morning. Thanks

Click link to see Matthews sign.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e4g7yc&s=8#.VIpHOUvIrw4

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Owen,You are a true craftsman and your work speaks for itself.

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
C
C
i do lots of woodworking i sign everything. nice metal work

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well it's not a restroom sign but it is Sunoco.

Thanks again Owen, great work!

IMG_6042.jpg IMG_6043.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow, Mike that is a great example of that sign! Nice!

Steve Coppens
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved