Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
s932 #585078 Sun Dec 07 2014 08:19 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I agree with Shawn. I've always got my phone with me, so I always have the globe book with me, but I do use the down loaded copy on my computer also.

Always looking for Standard Oil of Indiana, or any globes!
Buddy Koehrn
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
HoneyBearFarm #585085 Sun Dec 07 2014 09:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I guess maybe I need to clarify something. A printed book is simply not possible. Even a series of books would be impractical and expensive. And I am fully aware of all of the limitations on the existing 2012 edition of the globe book. Add "it didn't sell" (at least in enough quantity to make with worth the time that went into it) to the list of its limitations.
I, too, am a book person, rather than favoring any kind of digital media. I am of the in-between generation, who uses computers and related devices, but not to the degree that those younger than we do. A book would be my first choice. However, I have studied the practicality of the project and here are the facts.
We did confirm that it had finally become a technical possibility to create a book that had over 600 pages that were twice the size of a normal piece of printer paper. Its physically possible, a change from just a few years ago. However, to do so we would have to invest something like $140,000 to create a book in a quantity that would allow it to sell for somewhere upwards of $200 and still make enough from the project to make the project worthwhile. It would have weighed roughly 11 pounds, twice what my Hundred Years book weights, and would cost more to mail than most of our previous books have sold for. Are there 700 people who would pay $200 for a book (plus something like $35 first class shipping) just for us to break even. Simply put, no. A year into selling One Hundred Years of Gas Stations and sales are still around the 1000 mark, and that's at $55 retail, and most have sold for wholesale discounted rates. Even if it would be profitable, if we wait around for us to be able to afford a $140K investment, , it would put this project off for many years, maybe forever. Furthermore, the pre-selling of books is used to pay the printing bill with most books, and most pre-sales are to resellers who, in the trade, generally buy at 50% off cover list. Putting us further from the target. Working through this set of facts since August, I have come to the conclusion that there is no practical way to print and market something this size where the potential customer base in limited, and where it would be obsolete before it actually was committed to print - remember we discover new globes every week.
I'm not on a crusade to sell some new type of device or rewrite the bookselling business, I'm just trying to get my information out for others to use. Some combination of concepts from everyone's input is the only practical way I can see to get there, and this inquiry is simply to get everyone's take on the good and the bad of it. To answer questions that have come up, I offer the following:
First off, what I envisioned is not a Nook or Kindle specifically. Older versions of those devices are obsolete and do not work with photos.
Secondly, I'm not even certain what I have proposed is technically possible today, as we are still looking into it. This is theoretically fact-finding only.
Thirdly, anything we do would be available, separately, on CDs, for those with existing devices. Bundling it all together was simply a way to add value to the project, making it more palatable.
Finally, anything we do would be printable. However, a black and white copy that I had Kinko's print locally cost me about $40, printed in poor quality on 8.5" x 11" size paper, where the globe images are approximately 1" square. A color copy, still on 8.5" x 11" paper would cost something like $150 to print at a copy shop. When you look at that number, then over $200 for a professionally printed book is not so bad, but its still not a price most folks, including me, would pay.
If someone's got a better way to do this, I'm willing to listen to anything. Without a mechanism to get this information in everyone's hands, information that I have and that others would enjoy is simply hidden away in this computer, waiting for a way to package it for sale.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Dave's Garage #585092 Sun Dec 07 2014 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wayne, I was looking at your CD its 398 mb (of a 700 mb CD) very little space left if you wanted to put the original program + any additions on it.The PDF format is good.. Might I suggest to go to a DVD which can hold over 4 gb of data and don't cost any or much more than the CD.(a DVD can hold more than 5 cds worth of info)That way you could add about anything you want without that much of a price jump. And keep the fancy cases for regular retail sales but sell at shows in paper sleeves would be ok with me ( I know those fancy plastic cases cost ya quite a bit.}I just thought id throw that out for ya...Anyway I love your books and CD... Thanks for your and Scotts work.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
s932 #585154 Mon Dec 08 2014 09:57 AM
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: s932
If you have an iPhone or iPad and have not put the globe cd on it your missing out. I loaded the cd in my computer then my iPhone and iPad. Since doing that I have not looked at it on the computer nor have I picked up the books again. It's just to easy to do a search in my phone. And since i always have my phone I always have the globe book.

I need to do this, gonna try and dig out the CD tonight and see what I can do

-Brian
LSx #585157 Mon Dec 08 2014 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
love the globe cd on my computer... rarely use it on my phone - just takes way too long to do a search (find) in a PDF that large.

if it were me... I would look into creating an app to put into apple's app store and google's play store. this would prevent the unauthorized duplication that may occur with the current format (pdf). and users from everywhere could easily download on any device. lots of apps can be created within a reasonable cost. just a thought.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #585168 Mon Dec 08 2014 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No dvd! I want the pdf so it's searchible. Sucked bad enoug looking for globes in the 2 globe books.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #585169 Mon Dec 08 2014 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wayne, I would rather buy a $39 cd with a few dollars shipping than a $200 book with $30 shipping.

Jarvis #585176 Mon Dec 08 2014 12:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would be interested in the CD only. I have it on both my computer and ipad but use the ipad much more frequently. I also printed it out but its the size of a phone book and too cumbersome to haul around. Besides, I would probably go mad trying to find independent globes in a book of that size. Thank heavens for the Search feature!

Last edited by TheGriffin; Mon Dec 08 2014 12:01 PM.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Jarvis #585181 Mon Dec 08 2014 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, You must have missed the part where he said the CD hasn't sold well enough to make it worth the effort.
That speaks volumes about what people in the hobby want (or more accurately what they don't want).

The CD vs book cost comparison isn't valid unless you include at least part of the cost of the electronics needed for the cd.

Wayne, I thought the 2 volume set was outstanding! I don't like the idea of an 11X17 book, but a multi-volume set of 8 1/2 X 11 books would be fine with me.

It's interesting that nearly half of the respondents to your poll chose the CD or flash drive option, yet the current CD isn't selling well. Perhaps your poll should have included different options like....

600 page 11x17 book

Multi volume set of 8 1/2x 11 books.

The current CD format.

The preloaded reader concept.

Or maybe some other option that hasn't been mentioned.

IMO the reader idea won't work. Globe guys won't want to pay for the sign portion, sign guys won't want to pay for the globe portion, and some won't want to pay for the PCM portion.

The 11X17 book is just too big.

According to you the 2012 CD hasn't sold well enough to make it worth the effort it took to create. That says all that needs to be said about a CD only option right there.

Why get away from what has worked so well for you in the past? Seems like EVERYONE that is interested in globes bought the two volume set of books. Many of us have multiple sets of those books. Instead of the giant 11x17 book why not print a 4,5 or 6 volume set based on the current CD+ the updates you've come up with. You could still offer a CD version for those that want to use their electronics.

I also don't see the $140 investment as a roadblock. It's more of an obstacle. There are ways to finance the 140K. If you don't want to go with traditional sources of capitol, you could likely find someone in the hobby to put up the money for a piece of the action.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Mon Dec 08 2014 12:38 PM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #585212 Mon Dec 08 2014 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob... To many old people like you in the hobby that don't like technology. LOL

If you had 8 books and had to find a globe.. It would be an all night event. I can search a globe on my iPad in minutes with the search feature.

I see globes collectors that have bought book that decided they don't need anything else.
You can't compare globe book sales to cd sales or even another globe book sale. I agree sales might be down to the old guys rather thumb through a book.

I have now had the cd... No more books for me. LOL

Jarvis #585219 Mon Dec 08 2014 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, you're overlooking the fact that Wayne said the CD sales weren't worth the effort to make them. I don't expect anyone to do all the research and write a book without making a return on their investment of time.

It wouldn't be a problem for me to find a globe in a well written multi volume set of books....I know how to use books.

Careful who you call old. I'm not that much older than you. LOL

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #585221 Mon Dec 08 2014 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL you will always be older than me!

Wayne said cd didn't sell well.... Is he comparing it to the globe books?

Bob... Order your cd and then tell me you would rather own the books. By the way you can't load it on your flip phone. LOL

Last edited by Jarvis; Mon Dec 08 2014 08:42 PM.

Jarvis #585266 Mon Dec 08 2014 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob your still caring a flip phone and it works

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved