Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I'm not for auction companies purposely advertising a piece to be authentic when they know it's not....but on the flip side...
there are so many in our hobby trying to rescue people that have no desire to be saved.

Shawn is right..there is a segment of collectors that flat out do not care. You can shake your fist at those who make and sell repops...but the reality is that there is a huge and booming market for it. You can get mad about it, you can curse anyone who knowingly or unknowingly sells it...but the real problem is the people buying it like little kids wanting more candy.

As stated..if you have a problem with something from an auction house that advertises here..I'm confident if you contact them they will look into it. Slinging mud at them is not the answer.

Absolutely been what I've been saying for years on OLDGAS,

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good point Shawn... Also keep in mind these guys like Ron that bit paid big money but also seen many high end pieces go real cheap. Many of these big car collectors are wanting gas pumps and globes and signs to decorate. Some don't care if there is a repop in the mix. Most of them have pickers that they buy from... Doubt they are out digging through attics or ebay buying. End of the day when they are auctioning I would hope Rory or morphy or any other auction company would treat a guy with millions or a guy with $500 the same. Anyone spending money with an auction company needs to keep in mind the guy with $500 could have millions later.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When auction house charge 15% or more to auction petro and are experts in the hobby I would expect they look at every piece and give there advise on condition and info of double sided sign or complete globe or where it's original or repop.

If not than what makes them any different than any other auction company that had no BP.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
P
P
I was wondering if anyone was going to call you out on this statement. Let's see....20 minutes is 1200 seconds....which means you can spend less than one second looking at a picture to determine accurately whether the item depicted is authentic? Sounds like either an absurd claim or a GROSS exaggeration. Since I don't know you personally Kevin I'll assume it's the latter. As others have said, it's often difficult for even the most knowledgeable collectors to get it right with an item in hand.

Just as interesting to me is WHY you chose to publically criticize Rory or BJ for bringing more petroliana to the market. Sounds a bit like "penis envy"....his is bigger and better than yours so you attack him to cover-up any shortcomings. Of course, by "his" I mean his collection or his business or whatever.

Let be realistic.....this is the internet. It's not like everything you read on the internet is true or accurate, right?

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Guys guys guys, lets all take a chill pill and put our guns away.

Pegasus, impressive math problem, however, you missed my point.

Wes, I think you and I both know that some stuff is obviously fake and some stuff it is nearly impossible to tell, even in person. You missed my point. The items that are obvious, that even me, a little ole no-it-all rookie 25 year old can pick out, are being advertised as real. How can we justify this as being a good thing for our hobby?

Guys on this site will absolutely crucify someone for selling unmarked reproductions. Am I correct? However when a celebrity offers falsely advertised items for sale, we hold his jock strap for him?

That makes no sense.

There is no place for people like that in this hobby. Weather it is little Jim Bob Smith who has a small garage with a dozen rusty oil cans and beat up pump he adores, or a multi millionaire with every porcelain sign known to man kind.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gmstuff
Guys guys guys, lets all take a chill pill and put our guns away.

Pegasus, impressive math problem, however, you missed my point.

Wes, I think you and I both know that some stuff is obviously fake and some stuff it is nearly impossible to tell, even in person. You missed my point. The items that are obvious, that even me, a little ole no-it-all rookie 25 year old can pick out, are being advertised as real. How can we justify this as being a good thing for our hobby?

Guys on this site will absolutely crucify someone for selling unmarked reproductions. Am I correct? However when a celebrity offers falsely advertised items for sale, we hold his jock strap for him?

That makes no sense.

There is no place for people like that in this hobby. Weather it is little Jim Bob Smith who has a small garage with a dozen rusty oil cans and beat up pump he adores, or a multi millionaire with every porcelain sign known to man kind.

BOOM! That's strong and well put.

Last edited by luminor89; Fri Dec 19 2014 03:07 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm sure some of the pro collectors will not agree with me based solely on my age. And I am OK with that! Everyone is entitled to an opinion and nobody has to agree!

(By the way, I have been around this stuff since I could walk, My father has been collecting for over 35 years and my brother for about a decade, So I am not as stupid as some of you may believe)

But, I hope the one thing we can all agree on is that there is NO place for falsely advertised pieces in this hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
if we all had the same opinion it would be pretty boring . That's the great thing that we take for granted in the countries we live in , is the freedom we do have , to have different opinions . I like seeing these "discussions" on here . I think they are great , good points by all . Education is what I like to call it .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gmstuff

But, I hope the one thing we can all agree on is that there is NO place for falsely advertised pieces in this hobby.

Well put. I do think we should give sellers the chance to correct inaccurate descriptions. That's why I think it's best to notify the auction company privately before we get on a forum talking about people getting ripped off.
If they don't remedy the inaccurate descriptions and let the item cross the block while being misrepresented then that's when the gloves should come off.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Fri Dec 19 2014 04:13 PM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I had a very experience fellow with the last name of Elza sell me fisk tire sign in Columbus a few years ago and told me it was real, and found later that it wasn't and asked for money back and it never happened, wouldn't even return my emails, so you really never know who the good guys are???
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!!!!!!!!!!!!

2485.JPG
Last edited by Hud Oil; Fri Dec 19 2014 11:07 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Gentlemen: Lots of activity since I posted the original auction notice. Please understand that putting on a 1600 lot auction is no small endeavor…in fact this will be the largest automobilia, petrolinia auction ever. I had five days to photograph, describe, measure every item in the collection and given the work parameters of everything still hanging (some at 35 feet or higher above the floor with all the cars still placed underneath) it was no small task. If you read the catalog you will see that reproduction items are marked as such and same with tin or porcelain signs which have been restored.
The Gulf sign in question I examined today. If it's a fake..it's very good. It was part of a small Kansas museum collection that Ron purchased around 2002.
The sign appears to be factory painted (not dot matrix or silk screened) The white shows a hint of yellowing and age spots. There is light crazing present in the lettering. If you examine the hardware the nuts and bolts are completely fused and it looks like the sign has not been removed from the frame in decades. If you look under the flange where the bolts run through the sign mounting holes the paint has popped and rusted due to electrolysis and the paint is continuous under which I would interpret as meaning not a repaint.

So if you have information regarding it being a fake or who is making signs of this quality please do tell. When there's a questionable piece in an auction the respectful thing to do is to call the auction company and convey your opinion.

My cell # is 612-581-9189

Also if you're looking to bid on an item and would like more detailed photos or information concerning a particular piece please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Rory

Gulf 1.JPG
Double-sided Gulf Oil tin curb sign.

Gulf 2.jpg
Light yellowing and age spots in field.

Gulf 3.jpg
Faint crazing present in lettering.

Gulf 4.jpg
Nuts and bolts are completely fused as one due to rust. Sign cannot be removed from frame without removing nuts and bolts.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
I'm not for auction companies purposely advertising a piece to be authentic when they know it's not....but on the flip side...
there are so many in our hobby trying to rescue people that have no desire to be saved.

Shawn is right..there is a segment of collectors that flat out do not care. You can shake your fist at those who make and sell repops...but the reality is that there is a huge and booming market for it. You can get mad about it, you can curse anyone who knowingly or unknowingly sells it...but the real problem is the people buying it like little kids wanting more candy.

As stated..if you have a problem with something from an auction house that advertises here..I'm confident if you contact them they will look into it. Slinging mud at them is not the answer.

Absolutely been what I've been saying for years on OLDGAS,

I call people like this "CROWS" they don't care where the item came from or if it is authentic or not they just want something bright and shinny to show everyone.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have never had experience with Brinkman auctions, but I feel that from what Ive seen, they put on a first class job. Rory is obviously trying to do a good job here, and given the circumstances, He is doing all that he can.
As for Keith and Kevin Elza..They are very experienced in what they do. I have known them very well for 5+ years, and they have always bought some of the best automobillia smalls and display items I know of. They would not to to cheat anyone or start any arguments unfoundedly.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, I think Maxgas was agreeing with you and Shawn, and was calling the people that don't care about authenticity crows.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Sat Dec 20 2014 07:36 AM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can see this turn on the tread causing more problems than it solves...

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved