Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
prices in the ozarks this week will probably be reflecting BJ by alot of vendors

Always Available 973-932-2980

Joe - Iron Vise LLC
sales@ironvise.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: j0eyjuice
prices in the ozarks this week will probably be reflecting BJ by alot of vendors

Not if those vendors want to sell anything! The two venues cater to different markets.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Every January we talk about this,and for 11 mos. after,we see it happen no place else.
The fact that BJ won't consign Automobilia,but will buy Automobilia outright,then sell them as their own,should tell you something right there.
Their bidders will overpay for it & BJ doesn't want to share that.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i believe they do take consignments... just don't know what it takes to be an consignor.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
maybe your name has to be R Brinkman ? Looks to me like he controls the automobilia part, " lucky guy " or just plain smart is a better guess, smile

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Jan 12 2015 07:23 AM.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
we are all going to be hurt by this in the future.

Originally Posted By: Rabbitman
I think we've touched on this before, but BJ doesn't take consignments, right? They just buy their own inventory every year to sell at their auctions I believe. I haven't been to that in a few years but it is definitely another world when it comes to the people walking around there with more money than you can imagine. Somehow they have managed to get billed as the top place to be for the elite to blow their money. It's a lesson in American capitalism for sure....GB

Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
Every January we talk about this,and for 11 mos. after,we see it happen no place else.
The fact that BJ won't consign Automobilia,but will buy Automobilia outright,then sell them as their own,should tell you something right there.
Their bidders will overpay for it & BJ doesn't want to share that.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Watching this from the bidding gallery the last two days I noticed that there were 3 guys that were bidding up the majority of the high dollar items. Just a guess, but I believe at least two of the three were taking the opportunity to build collections. Obviously can't say for sure but I highly doubt that they had any idea of what the market value was for any of the items they were bidding on and they really didn't care - they wanted it and were going to get it no matter what the cost. They have the ability to do that and I envy them. But at the end of the day, do we really think this will have a major impact on hobby prices - the heart and soul of this hobby is embedded in guys that use this site and others just like us. I don't believe anyone here is going to go out and pay $2000 for an Apco capco globe just because someone at BJ did. Insanity will only last for a few more days and this too shall pass.

Steve
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Rising tides lift all ships' for us collecting before ebay ,prices fluctuated a lot between sales and venue I for one like seeing compatition in collecting stuff. u can't take it with u . U can't fix a car with it. It's a art market like buying modern art.but looks better in the garage . When I decollect I hope to get more money than I payed to show up my brothers hedge funds return.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Chevrolet SS have you found anything that is coming home with you?

Yes

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Everyone wants to say they have part of the Ron Pratt collection. That is a big part of what is going on here. His collection is in the neighborhood of 1500 pieces that will cross the block.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with the argument that this is probably more about bragging rights among the guys with money. It's a game. Who can hold their breath longer? Who can drink more shots? Who can outspend whom? is how the rich boys play. What you and I take seriously with careful thought, they play games with on a whim. I'm not saying that's good or bad. It's their money and that's a very exclusive club. In the end, it's a successful day for the auctioneer and the seller. So, good for them.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree that prices are very high on this stuff. Anyone who has ever been to an auction, has seen bidders overpay for things? I have been {that} person, a time or two. An auction like Barrett Jackson is a Premier Event. Like it or not, they do a great job in promoting and executing the entire affair. I think that if a buyer is spending his money, he can certainly pay as much as he wants. If it wasn't done at Barrett Jackson, it would just be some other auction house. The discussion would be the same, the names would be changed, to protect the innocent. " Just the facts, Ma'am." Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
whats the story on the Beacon sign... was there something less desirable on that one than the 2 that sold a couple years ago by Matthews?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron , Was the Harley sign all original ???? Thanks

Follow the Red Indian Trail
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
$190,000.00 for a Model A circus pickup wagon !! Tuesday evening. They also announced that so far the total for memorabilia is $4.9 million.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Tue Jan 13 2015 09:15 PM.

Craig
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved