Next Thread
Print Thread
#591991 Mon Jan 12 2015 09:46 PM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
I was at an auction a couple weeks ago in California and they had a 50 year collection of gas/oil/soda etc. They had a She'll milkglass globe going up for auction and when it was time to bid on the item, I turned to my father and said that's a reproduction a mile away. I never even gave it a thought while previewing everything. I said it will go for $2-$300 max.

Well the auctioneer stated it was an old original, and bidding went through the roof it got up to about $1200, and looked like it may have gone as high as $1500 or more, until the guy holding looked inside and seen a label from a label maker "Reproduction" I died laughing inside. I didn't no who was stupider the auction house or the dumb asses that call them selves collectors. The auctioneer said sorry I didn't no let's start over, and then it sold some where around $250. It just proves that collectors don't know a damn thing or either have to much money to care or both. And there were plenty of people with money nothing went cheap.

It was also funny, I found on the Internet the exact same stuff that was being auctioned that day. The owner had bought a lot of it at the Rich Penn auction house in 2011, so I got to see how much money he lost on each item that sold.

Last edited by SeinfeldKramer; Mon Jan 12 2015 09:47 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been to many auctions and watched people spend good money on repro items because they would not take the time to educate themselves.

I have also gotten some great deals over the years because I can generally tell the real from the fake.

60wayne #592288 Wed Jan 14 2015 03:03 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I watched an auctioneer hold up a cobalt blue Tiolene bottle and swear to the crowd that they found it in the attic of an old farmhouse. These of course are fakes but they proceeded to sell the thing for $350 bucks. You have to educate yourself, don't just assume that the people running the show are experts.

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are experts and then there are experts. The term "collector" does not denote any degree of knowledge or level of expertise. It simply means "one that collects". lol Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Catauladave #592354 Wed Jan 14 2015 10:30 PM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
I know a collector just means one who collects and is know mean of an expert, but I mean come on after you start passing the $1000 threshold on an item and you don't know jack ***** about the item your bidding on then there's something mentally wrong with you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was at an auction many years ago and a friend asked me if that Texaco globe was real or not. I told him it was right and a nice globe. He did not ask what it was worth? I planed to bid on it and figured it would go for 350 to 400. I went to 350 it went to 1200. At a bid of 1000 I notice the friend that had asked about weather it was real or not was biding. I felt like throwing a rock at him from the other side of the crowd ,for his ignorance. He did not get it and later I asked and his response was I wanted it.
It takes at least two at an auction.

Last edited by 60wayne; Thu Jan 15 2015 06:15 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved