Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Does anyone know a way to remove rust stains from porcelain signs without ruining the gloss??
Thanks!!
Bob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BOB, THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED MANY TIMES BEFORE AND WE ALL HAVE OUR METHODS FOR QUICK AND SOMEWHAT SIMPLE RUST STAIN REMOVAL!

HERE ARE MINE:

LOAD UP THE STAINED AREA WITH "SOFT SCRUB" W/BLEACH. IT'S A CREME TYPE CLEANER. I LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT AND GO AT IT WITH "00" AND THEN "000" STEEL WOOL. I THINK IT WORKS THE BEST. AN ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE A POWDER CLEANSER CALLED "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND."

OTHERS HAVE SUGGESTED "EASY-OFF" OVEN CLEANER. READ THE USAGE DIRECTION IF YOU DO ALSO.

TOILET BOWL CLEANER HAS WORKED FOR ME AS WELL....USUALLY A COLORED THICK LIQUID.

"C.L.R" PERFORMS SOME MAGIC IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE GLOSS ON THE SIGN. IF LEFT ON TOO LONG LIKE IT SHOULD TO REMOVE THE RUST, IT WILL DEF DULL THE SURFACE!

NEVER USE SCOUR PADS THAT WILL SCRATCH THE SURFACE. THEY HAVE NO-SCRATCH PADS AVAILABLE.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

DOC @ TAG.WEST

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 12-12-2005).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Muriatic Acid

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I've had real good results with Barkeeper's Friend & also a product called "Zud". They're both found in the cleaning supplies aisle at the grocery store. Muriatic acid works great when you're going to do some "repairs" to the sign. Be VERY careful around the stuff....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A 600 grit WET sandpaper with water...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
STOP..do not use Muratic acid...way too strong. Toilet (porcelain) cleaner is the best. it works fast, stay up-wind of it, and you will be done in minutes. Use a brass brush and wash off with plain water. Then polish and wala..a new sign...or almost
Ray
Looking for Seaside items

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
3M rubbing compound and elbow grease.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've used muratic acid with good results. Thats whats in some tiolet bowl cleaners.
WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Always a good topic! I wish we could put these in a leauge of there own. People ask "how do you clean a globe" and you will find some of the same thing. Every one has a differant way. I use SOFT SCRUB W/BLEACH on both signs and globes... just keep it wet!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
The brown 3M rubbing compound and a good wool buffing pad has absolutely worked wonders for me and all the buffing is done in one step.You dont have to do this and then that and then finally buff it out.My2cents

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF, the porc. has cracks, the MURIATIC ACID will attack the metal and lift the porc.

I DESTROYED some TIDEWATER well head signs that had been in a fire, useing ACID in LESS than 5 minutes.
db

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Seems like topics like this come up a lot and new people to the site aren't familiar with how to search previous forums on topics like this. I ran into the same thing when I first came to this great site.

Has anyone thought about creating a new forum or area on the site that would include previous tips on topics like this that a newcomer could easily reference. It might also be an area where new ideas could be shared and used as future reference by folks looking for repair advice, rust removal, tips on painting, bodywork, metal polishing, etc.

Just a thought and perhaps it's already been discussed as an idea. My 2 cents.

Mac

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Naval Jelly. Spread it on and leave it a few minutes. Rinse it off. No scrubbing, no damage to metal or gloss. Practically no effort and it's cheap to use.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks to everyone for tips and comments. I'm going to try a few of these. My major concern is losing the gloss. I've tried ZUD before and it took the gloss off. Jarvis, how long do you leave soft scrub on a sign?
Thanks
Bob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hubba should have LOTS of Naval Jelly !!
ROTFLMAO !!
db

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved