Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I am in the process of completing the purchase of this Model 17 pump. Appears to have been first "registered" in Pennsylvania. The area where the conduits enter the top of the bonnet don't look like a typical two hole cap. Is the bonnet incorrect for the Model 17 or just a different adapter someone installed where the conduits insert? The blue-tinted glass tank is intact and no BB holes. The lower access panels are missing. I don't know if gate valve is original. No hose or banana nozzle. The seller is looking for the original pricer box.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
The conduit junction is correct. What's missing is the globe holder cup. It was either left off when the conduit/dome was reinstalled or it rusted away.

The bonnet is correct. Gate valve looks good too.

You are lucky to have the selector lever and especially the lockout. Most lockouts got removed and scrapped back when.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Congratulations Joe! I'm glad that you got something you had been looking to buy.
Your gate valve looks to be the same as my 117. Kinda doubtful they would be different don't you think? Nice to have the "Fry" badge on the conduit too!
Certainly someone more knowledgeable will chime in but do accept my congratulations!
Dave

M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
The owner just found the two lower access plates. That is great news. The next challenge is to get it shipped via Beltmann from OH to north TX area without breaking the glass tank. Beltmann plans to ship it upright. There are probably mixed opinions on shipping it vertical as opposed to crating it horizontal.
Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The conduit is correct - if you want it replaced with the right original style you will need Ron scobies 5 gallon because it is th.e only hidden slip conduit I know of on the market. You also are lucky to have the correct pump handle bolt, they are almost always gone.

Travis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you get to working on the pump to free it up, just take the aluminum packing nut off and pull the spring and packing out - pour oil into the unit and it should free up, then repack with wood stove packing and the spring. A hose clamp will secure the packing nut back on.

Travis

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
The packing nut is usually brass/bronze. In 30+ years of these I've never seen an aluminum packing nut.

Most old hardware stores and plumbing houses will have the square graphite packing to repack the pump shaft if you want to do it right. Elliotts Hardware in Dallas would probably have it. If not, shoot me a PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can clearly see in 2nd to last photo it's aluminum. Trust me I know these frys inside and out. The fry center pipe packing nuts are also aluminum. And they are always seized on. I make a lot of fry parts and will be making these just later this year as long as my cnc lathe takes the program right. The other parts we just blueprinted is the handle shaft nut.

You will need to put anti seize compound on the nuts when you put them back on.

Travis

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I agree with Morgan. I have shipped visibles upright with no problem, just have the seller wrap the cylinder in a moving blanket then shrink wrap into place. Beltman takes good care of pumps when moving.

Thanks, Phil
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Travis, you are seeing what you want to see. That pump shaft nut is brass. Trust me, I know these pumps too.

M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Attached are a couple of images of the upper and lower packing nuts on the brass overflow pipe. They don't appear to be the color of tarnished brass. If they are aluminum, I don't see any way that they will come off without being destroyed. The seller said the pump handle moves freely; so I assume the pump is not froze up.

Shouldn't the pump handle be closer to the pump body? The photos of Fry 17s I have seen show the handle much closer to the pump body
Is the Fry placard mounted on the conduit painted or porcelain?

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Yeah, those two are aluminum. And brittle. The nut around the pump shaft is the brass one.

If you can get that whole assembly out, find a way to soak it in white vinegar. It will remove rust and may help get those off in one piece. If not, I hope you got a buddy with a lathe.

Last edited by Morgan; Fri Mar 20 2015 06:55 PM.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Looks like the handle may be bent slightly mine is about the same distance Never tried to straighten it out

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After you get the handle off...just heat it up with a torch and straighten. Nice pump. Just missing the conduit cup. You'll have fun with this one. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That is such a Nice original looking pump I would think twice about restoring it! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved