Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#605048 Mon Mar 23 2015 08:15 PM
J
JR Pat Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I bought 2 Bennett Model 607 Lubesters at an auction this week. They are painted green and orange with Phillips 66 decals on them. The brass plates on the pumps say Standard Oil on it. Is there a way of telling the age of these lubesters by the serial numbers on the pump plates? The serial numbers are 5332 and 5402. Thanks in advance. JR Patton

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As most of the guys here on OG will tell you I don't like the word "lubster." When I owned three service stations back in the early 1970s, the word lube meant grease not oil, so, as many of the companies back even in the 1920s called them, they are oil dispensers, they did not dispense grease.

So, go to this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bennett%20pump.htm

and click on 607

Besides what is shown on the site, I also have a parts manual available.

My email address is: jhsim@petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Mar 23 2015 10:27 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
J
JR Pat Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank You. I'm called to go to work and will check your website when I get off. JP

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I know this bugs you jack but when you click on your website for highboys they are call LUBE oil dispensers & the barrel pumps also have the word LUBE oil in descripton so apparently the manufactures use lube as anything no matter how thick viscosity so the generic term of lubester dispensor is proper and accepted in our gas/oil industry just my 2 cents Laroy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This discussion comes up every so often.

Did they call gravity dispensing pumps "visibles" back in the day?

Did they call the Wayne 491 a "Roman" back in the day?

We use a lot of terminology that wasn't around back in the day when these items were used.

When you use the word "lubester" everyone in the hobby knows exactly what you're talking about.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Ohio Oil,

Yes, early literature shows companies calling visible pumps "visibles."

No, they did not call the Wayne pumps "Romans," actually the name Roman first appeared in the early 80's when a restorer started making parts for the pumps. I can't remember his name, but I believe he was from Texas. It was not done on purpose, it was just a case of someone seeing the pump and saying that looks like a Roman column. When the first piece of Wayne literature was found, it was discovered the design was taken from a Greek column, but the name stuck.

Yes, I do agree with you we use terminology to describe things, but, I still remember my grade school teacher correcting me when I said "Where is it at?" She would always say, right behind the "at."

In a few month I will turn 80, and I have been thinking I should maybe I should stop being so vocal, instead of speaking out, I am just going to bring in more beer.

Aren't we having fun?

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's all good Jack..hope I'm doing as good as you when I'm 80. smile

J
JR Pat Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I appreciate being corrected by anyone who knows more about a subject than I do. Especially someone who is 20yrs older than I am. I knew that gear lube dispensers were called "lubesters" , but wasn't sure about oil dispensers. I simply Googled "Bennett Lubesters" and it brought up several sites to go for information. I realize that my search followed other's input of the word lubester combined with the brand name Bennett. So let's just blame the internet! Jack, will one of your manuals tell me the year my oil dispensers were made (by serial number), or will it only give me repair instructions and parts list? The pumps that I have both work well, I am just trying to determine their age. Once again thank you in advance for your help and knowledge. JP

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The literature we use to determine dates of manufacture only covers gas pumps. But if you send me the info that is on the ID tag, I might be able to figure something out.

You may not know this but Bennett went in business around 1919, but they didn't make a gas pump until 1927 when they were merged with the Shotwell Pump Co. Between 1919 and 1927 they just made oil and grease dispensers. By around 1925 they had total sales of over $500,000, and I believe they were the largest producer of this type of equipment in the country. I wrote a lengthy history on the Bennett company for my Gas Pump ID book, but I also listed it on my website at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/company_histories.htm

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Mar 25 2015 09:16 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved