Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#608830 Fri Apr 17 2015 11:23 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
i have this photo from the early 1930's that i look at quite often. It is a picture of my real life hero standing in front of his really cool Plymouth PE. He is dressed in some really impressive clothing and an incredible hat, posing for a snapshot in a rural out in the middle of nowhere field, in Washington pa. A picture taken by the lady he was courting and the lady for whom he was all dressed up for, for a simple afternoon picnic. That picture taken by my grandmother, of my hero grandfather, shows a man of dignity and pride and kindness. A man whom worked hard and loved his mate equally as hard. To me it represents a simple time of respect and dignity for ones self and for others. A time seemingly long gone by. In order to relive that time through my hero's eyes, i certainly have that picture! However, i soon discovered that my passion for collecting petroliana stems from my desire to forever revisit his era and to forever see those things he and my grandmother might have seen through the windshield of that plymouth as they drove to and from that field. It is the sole reason i collect. Fast forward to this simple globe that recently found it's way into my collection. It is a plain globe with no graphics and no color and with simple hand painted letters, yet to me, it represents so much more. I have other globes that i look at, and find it hard to believe that such graphics and color adorned the top of a pump so long ago! So darn fancy and eye catching! I see them as incredible, yet probably more so appropriately placed at stations along more trafficked old highways in bigger metropolitan cities. Whereas this lone inexpensive globe advertising "silent" gasoline somehow is the one globe of all of mine that for some odd reason places me in that plymouth PE, riding along some old dusty road, with my grandparents, on a return trip from an afternoon picnic, when they pull in to an old out of the way rural station with a lone visible pump in the front, holding hands while some crusty old gent fills their car with "silent" gasoline. This lone globe is an indicator that it doesnt cost a whole lot of money in this hobby to obtain something that is a vivid real life reminder of those who only exist in our thoughts and memories. I hope others find that one item in their collection that puts them too in an era beside those they never will forget.

Silent.jpg

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Wow,What a story! The one thing in my collection is my dads old gas pump that he used in his trucking company,He gave it away twenty years ago! I tracked it down,and was able to buy it! So i know what you mean.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Kevin, well written thoughts. I love going out to my garage and just taking in all the stories that have been absorbed by these items. It's a great way to allow your mind to let go of any stress that has accumulated from a long day or week.
I couldn't help but notice your avatar, do you own that red '48-'50 Ford F1?

Wally

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great story and passion for the hobby.
I would love to see the pic of Grandpa with the Plymouth?? Take a picture of it with your phone, email it to yourself, and then post it if you wouldn't mind. Or scan it if you happen to have a scanner.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I do have a '49 ford. Not f1 but rather f3! I will work on trying to get that picture of that Plymouth.

KEVIN
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I think Kevin that some people have the ability to see life and our collectibles through "historic eyes". I will be 39 years old in 12 days, but I've been what many would consider an old soul as far back as I can recall. I've always had the ability and the mindset to look at things how the persons in history saw them or used them. For instance, when I viewed Abraham Lincoln's shaving mirror in a museum, I stared at that old wavy glass mirror for several minutes and was in awe of the fact my face was being reflected in the same piece of glass that reflected Lincoln's. I would think the majority of folks look at the shaving mirror and see just that, a mirror and pass on by. I was awed by it, because I could view it differently, I could picture his face over mine.

I live in Amish country.....today I saw several 8 horsepower teams in the fields plowing. You then look at the old farmsteads they live in, where the scene has changed little in 120 years. Sometimes it's easier to "see" the past, as in this case, but when you think about what the items we collect have seen over the years they were used, taken down after the glory days of full service, then rediscovered as collectibles around 40 years ago, they have a lot of history to share. When I look at my collection I picture how it may have looked in its original setting, where has it been on its life journey, etc.

I've been on the board of the Hillsdale County Historical Society since my mid 20's, and now serve as Vice President. When kids visit our museums, I can always pick out the youngsters that have that extra vision of the past and the ability to put themselves into history...they remind me of myself at their age. I can't help but think some of them will be the future of the hobby. I guess I've rambled on long enough!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin, I liked the comments !

see ya on the road folks !
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I wanted that globe and just missed it, but it went to the right home. I am also fascinated with this era in America and can't get enough of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story! Wow.

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a neat globe and story!

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's an awesome story. I myself have pieces that aren't worth a lot but they are "worth a lot" to me. Great story and great globe.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here you go steve!

Pap.jpg

KEVIN
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Plymouth PE

Car.jpg

KEVIN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice memory's and great old pictures.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice globe and an awesome story...now, go find that Plymouth!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved