Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Howdy team. I stumbled across this site trying to do research. I have a serious collection of high end quality signs I am going to need to be selling in the near future. It is an inherited collection so I don't know a lot but the appraiser I had come out and get started described the collection as MIND BLOWING and Once in a LIFETIME. So I am looking for legit collectors. Am I in the right place? :o)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say post some pictures, there are a lot of serious collectors here!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Welcome aboard!
I strongly suggest you take quality pictures and post them in the value section and find out what they are worth BEFORE you start selling!
Also dont let ANYONE come in and pick and choose ANY choice pieces!
Do ALL your homework BEFORE you sell anything...
There are value guides, ebay, auction results from matthews, live auctions etc etc...
Take advantage of the FREE value forum and the FREE selling forum!!!
Be leary about sending pictures to lots of people you dont know and Keep an eye on the signs as depending what you have, they could be extremely valuable!
Good Luck...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion, Old Gas is the best petro sight on the internet. I have not seen them all of course but Old Gas has been around for awhile, possibly one of the first. A lot of knowledgeable collectors check the site daily. A lot of different ways to sell a collection, eBay, auction, go to the shows, have people come to your place. All have advantages and drawbacks. I would suggest you take pictures of everything and make an inventory list. Have the appraiser put numbers down for each item, or for each group if there is some small cheaper stuff. Maybe even have two people appraise it and compare the two? Maybe then post a couple pictures here and see what others think to see if your guy or guys were close. If it is in fact high end stuff, it should bring strong prices. Everyone wants a bargain when they buy stuff, as a seller you should try to get a fair price also. Good luck with the sale. Post pictures here if you can.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
smile Welcome. The first thing I would caution you on is to be in NO hurry to just dump/sell the collection. If it is an inherited collection as you say, think of how long it took to accumulate and the years of joy it must have brought the collector. The most common pitfall to avoid is the "Cherry Picker" that will want to buy the best and leave you with the rest. And the advice already given about research and school yourself as much as possible on values and conditions of the signs. Rarity, sizes, you have a lot of variables that will translate into dollars in your pocket. Look at some pictures posted on here of recent sales and auction results. If the collection is as extensive as you say, get a second appraisers' opinion. A few hundred here and there on different signs will make a big change to the bottom line. Good Luck, you have a lot of Fun and Work ahead of you.
Ed Steagall.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd sure like too see a sneak preview-
you've received good advice above, do
your homework & don't be in a hurry or
you'll cut yourself short. I'd get 3
or 4 opinions- I don't know what you
have but the value might surprise you ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Howdy yourself! Always good to have someone else from Texas on the site. I'll second and third the advice everyone else has already given. Get multiple folks to give you appraisals/values BEFORE you let anything go. Take your time, do your homework and research as much as you can. That will get you the best return on this collection. The folks on this site can give you a wealth of information. Best of luck to you!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the thoughts gentlemen. I will try to post a few pictures if this is allowed in this forum. It is over 400 signs an addition to lots of other stuff collected over 40 years.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Don't feel so all alone, Jim. I lived in Houston for 13 years prior to Atlanta.
When people ask where I am from I'll say "I claim Houston, but don't know if Houston will claim me!"
There is a reason its The GREAT State of Texas!
Dave

Last edited by Dr Dave; Tue Apr 21 2015 06:02 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the vast majority of items can be found on ebay, liveauctioneers, matthewsauctions, proxibid, worthpoint, etc. it will take some time to research each, but thats what is required to figure a value for a collection overall.

for the rare & highly desirable items... all you would have to do is post a picture in the value forum and if it truly is rare & highly sought after... I guarantee you will get a large amount of response. just dont expect many to do the work for you on the common stuff... the values are out there on the web right at your fingertips.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How does one put a value on the truly rare and unique items in todays collectible market?
Granted, there are a lot of comparable sales out there on the web for the average stuff, but anyone that says they can put a value on the truly rare and exceptional items, is only fooling someone.
A good case in point is the Husky sign that sold at auction in Peotone! A good many "experts" were in the room that day, and the consensus was that it would probably top 30K but land pretty close to 35K. It was a long way off from the 82K that it brought!
Does that mean that the next one in comparable condition will bring close to that figure? Absolutely not, but there isn't anyone available that can tell you where it would land either.
Use the resources available to price the common items and you won't be far off, but take the exceptional, rare pieces and place them with a reputable auction company to maximize sales return!
In fact, with that many signs and other assorted pieces available, you have enough material to put on your own estate sale (with a reputable auction co). Its a lot of work, but the rewards and satisfaction you will get from your efforts will be worth it!

JM2C

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Lol!! Brand new member offers collection for sale and his mail box is full in one day!

So Aggie, any Sunoco stuff in there?

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Apr 21 2015 07:33 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The Vultures circle !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Michael, contact Dan Matthews, he's a member of this site, and has been auctioning petroliana for years...his user name is Mattgas, and his number (listed in his profile) is 217-259-7059...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
AUCTION with a reputable and knowledgeable auctioneer in this field. Don't forget to have heavy duty contractor bags ready to put the money in. Ron Lease-Collector ;;;;;;

Last edited by oillease55; Tue Apr 21 2015 10:00 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved