Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all! I am new to this Forum and looking for some help finding the production dates of my (2) Gilbarco FMP2A farm pumps. Here is the identification information on the pumps:

1) FMP2A1 E17059, No. 124544
2) FMP2A4 F16921, No. 154389

Any information will be appreciated. When I figure out how to upload a picture, I will. I have ordered Jack Sim's book but have not received it yet. Thanks everybody in advance for all of your help!

Bennett 766, Wayne 505, Gilbarco 1006, A.O. Smith L-3 "Smithway", and a multitude of Gasboy, Gilbarco, Tokheim, Bennett consumer pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
"Bump" .....anybody? I think they are from the late '40's - 1950's but not sure. I will have to post a picture.

Thanks!

Eric

Bennett 766, Wayne 505, Gilbarco 1006, A.O. Smith L-3 "Smithway", and a multitude of Gasboy, Gilbarco, Tokheim, Bennett consumer pumps.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Sorry, I didn't answer your question earlier.

The only reason we are able to date pumps is because of the second world war.

Once we got into the war, scrap metal became the most needed items for the war effort. Just about everything use by our fighters was made of metal. Think about it, just about everything from our air planes (which my older brother flew in) down to the M1 carried by our infantrymen was made of metal.

In November, 1942 the Office of War Information, War Production Board, Office of Petroleum Coordinator for War, came out with a list restrictions concerning installing tanks to store gas, the use of gas pumps put in storage because there wasn't going to be that much gas available, and information about gas pumps that we can use.

They developed, what they call the "Blue Book." Basically this was a list of gas pump model number that the government felt were out of date and should be scrapped. This list, listed all the pumps from the companies that were still in business, not every company responding to the governments requests and listed their old pumps the same way, and of course, if the company was out of business, they were not listed at all. Remember, that in 1925 there were about 100 companies making gas pumps, but by 1935 there were less than 20. It was the depression.

OK, in 1947, the Gasoline Pump Manufactures Association, re-issued the Blue Book (the 2nd Edition). And again in 1952 they came out with the 3rd Edition. Each of which listed gas pump model numbers that the government felt should should be scrapped. Keep in mind, in 1952 we were fighting the Korean War.

Officially the Korean War ended January, 1955. And, the Viet Nam War started in the early 1960s. So.... the Gasoline Pump Manuf. Association re-issued the fourth edition of the "Blue Book," in 1961. Again listing pumps that they felt needed to be scrapped.

I believe I am the only one having all four editions.

So, why such a long explanation here, it to say, I am sorry, all these editions of the "Blue Book," do not list commercial pumps, such as your FMP pumps, just pumps that were used outside the front of a service station.

I would like to help you date your FMP pump. I have a stack of FMP from the FMP1 to the FMP304, but....Gilbarco did not date their Parts Lists at this time.

The first FMP pump was just that, a pump, no face, no meter, just a pump. I do show a picture of the FMP-4 (with a face) on page 168 if my 2nd Edition of the Gas Pump ID book. For those of you who want to keep the book up to date, the pump is listed as a FMP-2, it should read FMP-4.

I would say, your pump was made in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Jack - thank you so much for all of the good information! I think half of the fun for us "new folks" in this hobby is in the learning. I did order the (2) pieces of Gilbarco FMP literature from you (via PayPal) that you mentioned in your email. Thanks. I also just received the 2nd edition of your Gas Pump book. It's very helpful and very well done.

Thanks again!

Eric

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved