Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#615671 Sun May 31 2015 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Just wondering if anyone has seen these b4. I can't find any others after much research.
The gent I got it from swore up and down that he thinks it's real saying he saw the station owner reach into a Texaco branded box and get this out saying it was never used.
I believe his story or that he believed the story given to him but I know it's not a original.
The size is odd and the back is odd too.
I know the grommets aren't in the correct position and the porcelain is thin like late 60s/early 70s porcelain and not heavily shelved like it was on the 15" originals that I had at one time.
The back is a brown kinda sand-papery tan color and feel.
Did some company make some repops in the 70s/80s that anyone knows of?

...and... no worries, it's on my Wall-O-Repops and won't be sold, ever! My Oilzum repop has already served as a example that saved someone from spending $$$$?? on another one!

DSCF5539r.jpg DSCF5540r.jpg

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Overseas Petro repops have been around since the 1950s, for the most part they are very crude compared to those made now...

A flood hit the Marketplace in the mid 1970s... And another hit when the "Ande Rooney Company" started making more "true to the original" repops starting around 1980...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks like an ande rooney with the spot on the back where the label was...

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yes, I said the exact same thing to him when face to face. He quickly said it was from a price sticker he put on but now that I have looked it up on ebay, it's definitely a Ande Rooney repop.
Gotta follow that first gut feeling!

So, if your looking at Texaco round porcelain signs, always remember the rule of 8", 10" & 15"!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
a lot of fake 8" ones as well though with the date so you gotta be careful with those.

-Searching: SC, NC, GA oil companies, Anything Gulf, Clockface Pumps & Gulf Patina Pumps-
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anytime you see that tan color sandy/gritty back it's an Ande Rooney sign.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved