Print Thread
#61862 Wed Jan 16 2002 08:02 PM
D
DCpate Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I just bought two mint condition 8" Ethyl pump plates tonight from a friend. He found an old gas pump behind a shed and took these off it. These were the only signs on the pump. According to the guide to gas station logos, these plates were in production no later than 1941. I asked about the pump and he thought it wasn't that old of a pump (he's not a collector). The only detail he told me about the pump was that it had a rolling number system (like more modern pumps I guess)of reading the amount of gas, so it wasn't a visible or a clockface. I'm thinking about going to look at the pump but I'm mainly a sign guy and know little on what to look for. Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for in order to tell if the pump is desirable? thanks

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#61863 Thu Jan 17 2002 09:39 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
First, look for the name plate/ID tag. Get the mfg. name and model or cut number.

Next, check the overall condition of the pump. Dents, holes, obvious missing pieces. Then step back and look at the pump. Observe the style or design. Is it basic or a pleasing design? Is it boxy or art deco? Note the overall height, width and depth of the pump.

Get back to us with that info and maybe someone can give you an idea. The right model pump is worth a good bit depending on condition. Even basic pumps in good shape can be a good find.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved