Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#619992 Wed Jul 01 2015 07:59 AM
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi guys, I'm starting on my 50 restoration. Been soaking screws and other things getting ready to tear it down. As I often do I was sitting there just looking at it building a metal plan and the more I looked at the more this thought keep coming back around in my one brain cell about the pump mech.

There was a thread a while back on the pros and cons about leaving a pump complete. It was a more common pump so opinions varied as usual.

Here is what I'm thinking, I'm going to leave the guts in which I normally never do. There is not a whole lot of stuff down there and because of what kind of pump it is I'm leaning to clean it up and leave in. I doubt if all of the pump mech weighs more than a 100 pounds and in the scheme of things it ain't that much more. This thing is a real pig.

So, what do you think? Just need some outside input, thanks. Les

photo 4.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG
Last edited by Done4; Wed Jul 01 2015 08:01 AM.

Have gas all the time
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Leave that pump unrestored.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ryan, it is real rough and I'm totally with you on unrestored pumps but in my opinion this is way over the edge. It did cross my mind as I sat there looking at it.

Last edited by Done4; Wed Jul 01 2015 08:23 AM.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sweet pump,leave the guts and restore it.

buy/sell and collect gas station items,
315 794 8265
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you do take guts out...Keep them!!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd personally leave the pump in it. Especially on such a sweet unique pump. Do as you wish on restoration, but leave the pump inside and clean it up a bit. I always leave them in, but that's just my opinion.

Braden Splichal

That pump in the future will have way more value if just left alone. Finding original rare pumps is getting tough. I can understand wanting it nice though. Once they are restored, they will never be original again.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Wouldnt touch it! Ryan is 100% correct. JM2C

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am with Braden and Rocco2. I like the look with the motor inside in this pump. Restored, it will look great. Keep us updated on your progress!

S
S
Just a thought on the term "original." Originally, your pump had no rust, shiny paint, and factory-fresh signs. If you restore it, you're probably bringing it closer to original than it is now. Either way, it's clearly in the right hands.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From a value standpoint, Ryan is clearly correct! My Wayne 50 came without the guts, so I had no choice but to proceed with a total restoration. It isn't painted yet, but I would trade you my completely restored and painted in your colors pump, for the one you have, if left alone!
I hope that illustrates to you the value of leaving it completely original!
In any case, remove the guts and completely clean and paint them and then reinstall, before proceeding with any type of restoration.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention that when I found this pump it had this sitting on it. It's had a hard life but my intentions where to use it anyway. I'm still on the fence which way to go. I will keep the pump mech in place though. Now I have to make the decision on the resto or rusto ?

phot.JPG photo.JPG

Have gas all the time
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink I think you made the right decision to keep the guts in, as Kevin said, it is rare to find one this valuable still intact. So why not just replace the missing parts, a little Rusto here and there, and see how you like it that way for awhile. That won't cost much either. Later on you can Resto it if you choose that option. But remember, they're original ONLY ONCE!
JMO, Ed.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The end game is what I would look at. In my world...I'm keeping that pump...I would never think of selling it.

So....change in valuation in unrestored vs. restored wouldn't matter to me.

How do I want to look at this pump every day when I go out to the shop. Me...I would restore it because I think a pump like that deserves the best presentation I could give it...and that's what I want to see every time I look at it.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I am excited just looking and its not even my pump. All good points and I do see the value in restoring the pump mech also if you should so decide.

Craig
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved