Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Gang, I did try to search the forum for this info, since I thought I saw a posting about it awhile back. Couldn't come up with anything, however.

I'm wondering what some of you are using, instead of the metal snap rings, to retain the glass lenses in 15" or 16" metal globe bodies. Does anyone have a link to an earlier, similar topic? Although I've used the snap rings before, I am scared to death of them.

I thought some guys were using a few dabs of silicone for this. However, to me, the globe doesn't look finished without the retaining rings. Has anyone experimented with the dabs of silicone, and the addition of a heavier, non-springy wire simply for looks? Thanks for any comments. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've had reproduction steel bodies where the lens is still loose with the snap ring in place. To the point where the lens can fall out with the ring remaining in place. I placed a little dab of silicone at 12-3-6-9 O'clock positions. Place the silicone between the body and the edge of the lens. This way the silicone can easily be cut and removed if you wanted to remove the lens. In my opinion, never place silicone on the back side of the lens and the flat mating surface of the body that the lens rests on. Only a few dabs to fill the void between the body and the edge of the lens. After the silicone has dried place the snap rings back in place as the globe looks complete.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's no reason to be afraid of installing snap rings. Removing them can be scary though.
Be sure the snap rings are seated properly. If the lens is too loose use a few dabs of silicone like Dave mentioned.

I do have a globe that someone used coax cable to retain the lenses.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Lastgas15
Removing them can be scary though.

that's an understatement! i cannot put into words the fear I've had with removing some of them.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Installing the rings is easier if someone helps you. I usually compress the ring at the ends and have someone else help me make sure the ring is fully down in place before I let go. Pretty easy.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK how many people do you need to remove a snap ring then?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

It would be fun to look back and watch a guy put them together in the twenties & thirties. He'd break one and say. "Pass me another one would you" ? ; )

J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Nifty thought, blacktee. Yes, "Pass me another lens, and dock my pay the usual eight cents for the one I just broke"!

My thanks to each of you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the input. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Two guys to take off would be ideal too IMO!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Whether removing or installing snap rings I start at one end and work towards the other.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If your lenses can be pushed out of the body (with the body laying down!) with the ring installed . . . remove the ring and add a couple of wraps of electrical tape at the 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00 position.

Reinstall the lens and the ring and try again.

Nine times out of ten this will fix the problem.

If it still persists, add another wrap or two to each position and try again.

This will replicate the three 'bumps' that were on some of the original retaining rings.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Gasman84470
OK how many people do you need to remove a snap ring then?

1 watching, 1 giving instructions, 1 removing the snap ring, 1 holding the globe and then have the wife quickly & easily remove the lens after she tells everyone to get out of the way.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By T-way
If your lenses can be pushed out of the body (with the body laying down!) with the ring installed . . . remove the ring and add a couple of wraps of electrical tape at the 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00 position.

Reinstall the lens and the ring and try again.

Nine times out of ten this will fix the problem.

If it still persists, add another wrap or two to each position and try again.

This will replicate the three 'bumps' that were on some of the original retaining rings.

Later . . .

Jim

I've had pretty good luck putting the retaining ring into a vice and bending it either in or out.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Paul, that will work if it's just the tension of the retaining ring that is the problem.

But if the lens is too small or the body is too big, that won't help.

Adding the tape makes both the ring seem bigger and captures the lenses at least in the three areas of contact.

And as an added bonus, it a 'soft' engagement.

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I feel the problem with adding the tape is that you are relying on 3/4" width of the tape x 3 = 2 1/4" of friction (contact area between the retaining grove and the tape) to support the entire weight of lens. Considering that the painted surface is smooth and so is the electrical tape this could be an expensive risk (value of lens) that can be all together eliminated by a few dabs of silicone. Takes less time to apply the silicone or remove it then the electrical tape. Not to mention that as the diameter of the ring increases (by adding tape to it) it's ability to fit the groove also decreases.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Dave:

Valid concerns. But the rings still push against the body, the tape to body contact compresses the tape, and the tape tabs keeps the lenses from moving. So nothing moves around - in fact, since the tape has a slight 'grip' on the lens itself, the lenses are as solid as if you used silicone. And it's much easier to remove the lenses for cleaning.

I've got a bunch of lenses in aluminum bodies this way.
(Since the aluminum bodies are 'spun', the openings vary up to 1/8" in diameter.)

I've never had a lens come out from behind a 'taped' ring.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved