Next Thread
Print Thread
#62314 Fri Nov 04 2005 01:02 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Have any of you purchased the new "Warman's Gas Station Collectible book?
It seems the author has no connection to this hobby other than having access to a collection of the quaterback of the Minnesota Vikens and having attended a couple of Aumanns auctions. He took pictures of the collection and the things at the auction and wrote a book.
I know I am sticking my neck out, because his publisher is the same publisher I used for my Gas Pump Identification book, but I believe, any book published should be researched and written with authority, not just going around taking picturs and asking "how much do you want for this?"
I know I spent years researching for my Gas Pump Identication book, (and have spent the last two years researching the Air Meter book I am working on) and I know Scott Benjamin spent a great deal of time researching his globe book, and again much research has been spent on the two can books, but I really get ticked after spending money on a book that is based on one collection and a couple of auctions.
I know I am opening a can of worms here, but this is our money they are asking us to spend.
Jack Sim, Author Gas Pump Identification book and soon to be published "Air Meter Identification" book.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, I agree that when you write a book you should know or be a so called expert on what you write but in this case what he did you don't need to know anything other than how to gather information. I personally think the book is great! He took a bunch or most of items that aumann auctions did and put together pictures and prices. If you notice there is nothing else there... no dates or information on the company. Him taking pictures of Rich's stuff to me isn't any differant than some of the other colletors books that have pictures of someones collection of globes. I think it's cool when they do that.

I think the book is great and i know Jim Potts the master of our website sold a bunch at Peotone. It has a ton of great quality color pictures. Just my 3 cents.

[This message has been edited by Jarvis (edited 11-04-2005).]

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a shelf full of books about the things we collect. Some are good and some are next to worthless. I understand your frustration, but comparing the pump book to this book is like comparing apples and oranges. Very few books have detailed information. It would be a monumental task to write a book on general petroliana and give much detail. I've yet to see a book on general petroliana that has detailed info on company history, info on dating logos, etc. If you want that kind of info you need to buy books devoted to one area of collecting (the globe books by Benjamin & Henderson, or the pump book by Sim, the restoration book by Henderson & Benjamin), or books devoted to one company like the Esso book by McIntyre.
What's wrong with using info from Gannon or Aumann? Gannon is a heavy hitter in the hobby and has a great collection. Noone has sold more collectible petroliana than Aumann. The "few" auctions the items pictured in the book came from noted collections like the General Petroliana Museum, Jerry Winston, and Roy Reed, and others.
The Warman's book is a good book on general petroliana. I reccommend it to anyone interested in all areas of the hobby. While it doesn't give detailed info like a book devoted to one area of the hobby would (or should) it can be a valuable tool for the collector. Judging by the way it sold at Peotone the Warman's book is the hottest thing going.
Books on collectibles are nothing but tools for the hobbiest. Some are more useful than others. I've found the globe books to be the most useful, not just because I'm a globe guy, but because there's a wealth of info on history, logos, etc. I've identified and dated signs and cans using the globe books. Pump collectors would benefit from having the pump book by Sim and the pump resto book by Henderson & Benjamin (& Sconyers). Can collectors could find the books by Miller and Sonewald useful. The list goes on. For general petroliana the Warman's book and the ones written by Bruner, and Summers and Priddy are all very good. Remember, ALL of these books are GUIDES. NONE of them are perfect, and none can give you all the info you need.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I HAVE ALOT OF PETRO BOOKS....ABOUT 30+. I WOULD SAY NONE OF THEM ARE PERFECT AND ALMOST ALWAYS NEVER GIVE THE WHOLE STORY ABOUT WHAT IS PICTURED. A FEW BOOKS HAVE GREAT PHOTOS WHICH IS WHAT WE ALL LIKE, BUT WHEN OVERALL PERTINANT INFORMATION IS LEFT OUT ABOUT WHAT IS PICTURED SUCH AS DATES, SIZES, VALUES, ETC. SOME BOOKS HAVE NO COMPLETENESS AND LEAVE ME LOOKING FOR MORE WHETHER IT'S FOR THE COMMON ITEMS OR RARITIES AS WELL. I'VE OFTEN THOUGHT ABOUT DOING A BOOK ON PETRO BRANDS THAT ARE NOT COVERED AND CURRENTLY AVAILABLE....HOOKING UP WITH COLLECTORS WHO DO A CERTAIN BRAND AND WILL OPEN UP THEIR COLLECTIONS FOR ME TO PHOTOGRAPH. I LIKE IT WHEN I SEE CREDITS GIVEN NEXT TO THE PICTURES AND DESCRIPTIONS.

I HAVE YET TO ORDER THE NEWER BOOKS, AMISTADI'S INCLUDED. I SOMETIMES GET THEM JUST TO HAVE THEM AND OF COURSE USE THEM FOR REFERENCE....SOMETIMES IT'S HELPFUL AND SOMETIMES NOT. THERE ARE PLENTY OF BOOKS I DON'T HAVE AND WILL NEVER OWN. WE ALL BUY WHAT APPEALS TO US AND THAT'S THAT. RUDY LE CODIAC (sp?)FROM BROOKLYN, NY JUST RELEASED A BOOK ABOUT MICHELIN TIRE HISTORY.
WHILE I LIKE MICHELIN ADVERTISING, I'M CERTAINLY NOT GONNA SPEND $25+/- ON A BOOK TO LOOK AT PICTURES...BUT I'LL TAKE A SIGNED COPY FOR FREE! LOL!!

I PERSONALLY THINK IT'S RATHER RUDE FOR ONE AUTHOR TO PAN ANOTHER AUTHORS BOOK AND PICK IT APART. SOME THINGS ARE BEST LEFT UNSAID AS ONE VOICE.

JUST MY NICKELS WORTH.

DOC @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob (Lastgas15) I agree with you on this one. Jack your book is outstanding and the detail super. The thing I think is funny Warman is not a collector but his pricing is more accurate than a ton of collectors that have put out books.
Just for the record Rich Gannon finishied his career in football with the Oakland Raiders and was seen at several of Bill Campbells San Jose gas bashes. I would love to visit his collection if in Minn. My 2 cents.
Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Home of Roach & Darnell Texaco 1952 -1963 & Richfield Arco 1963 - 1972
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 11-04-2005).]

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Jack,
There are in my opinion two types of books-one that stays on the shelf for the most part and the other goes with you everywhere, you make notes in it, it gets dog eared, dirty, and greasy. It's the book that's on the workbench, (the bathroom-hehe)or remains on the dashboard of your old truck.

Jack, your book is the latter. To compare to the former is "apples to oranges". Anybody can write a book.

It takes hard work to write a good book.

Thanks for your hard work.

Mark Standard
Junk Collector, Esquire

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Jack, I've never met you, but I think you are right on! Why do we need a book to see what things brought at an aumann auction, or any auction for that matter? Anyone can go to Aumann's website and look at all the results.
Plus there are SEVERAL errors in the book. He states globes sold as complete when they were actually singles. He also states globes are 13.5" when there are actually 15".
It's NOT a good book to use as a pricing resource. Auction prices are ONLY good for that day and in that room. Plus we've all seen these items, it would be nice to see some great rare or unusual items that we haven't seen......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John,
You're looking at it from a dealer's viewpoint. YOU already know about what's in the book. The average collector doesn't have the knowledge that you have. The book isn't perfect. None of the price guides are. The pricing in this book is actually more accurate than most. Its just another tool for the collector. Compare it to any general petro book and see how it stacks up.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Picked up the book from Jim Potts at Peotone and for a guy new to collecting I found it kind of nice to see what different things are going for. At least it should give me a ballpark figure to work with so I don't overpay for something I may wish to add to my collection. Hard to do that at a show when one dealer has a globe for $450 and the guy 20 feet away is selling the same thing for $300. Of course, he could have added some DX stuff to give the book some class
Ken

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi all, just got mine the other day. I'll ride the fence re: item prices and say from my limited experience some seem right on, some seem high and a few seem low.
256 pages with 6 to 8 full color photos a page = 1800-2000 cool pics of all kinds of petro stuff. Sure you could go around on the internet and cut/paste/print pictures and prices from ebay & auction sites and staple them together and put THAT on the coffee table.....but BOTTOM LINE, a penny a pic, in hand a couple days after paypal click for $20.00 and change, and Jim makes a buck I say buy it. Heck, buy Jack's book too while you're at it and save shipping.

Tok

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I liked the book. As a new collector, I like to see a lot of pictures of a lot of different things. I gave the book to my brother and will be ordering another one.
I also want to get a copy of the Gas Pump Identication book. Alot of info from different sorces can save a person a lot of money.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved