Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BryceG #625096 Mon Aug 10 2015 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with most others. The start time should be enforced (at all shows for that matter). Like others already mentioned, Ron stated that in 2016 vending will not be allowed until Tuesday morning.

I also agree with Signs&Neons. The hotel is old and smelly. The parking is always an issue and even though you can park at the Jet lot across the street, there were times when the attendant turned people down, because they needed to save room for their airport customers.

Maybe it is time to change venues. I ate dinner at Draught House 50 in the Mills Creek area of west Des Moines (Mills Civic Pkwy, west of I-35) and wow, that was a nice area. A clean area with a lot of great restaurants (pubs, steak houses, bars, familiar chain restaurants dinner, quick places to grab lunch), a lot of very nice hotels and a lot of parking. If you Google map the area, zoom in and search restaurant or hotel, you will see what I am talking about. Street view will give you an idea of how nice (and clean) the area is.

The only downside in that area is that it doesn't appear any hotels have windows looking into the rooms. Although the window shopping is neat (especially in Columbus), do you really need the window for room-to-room???

That is my two cents...... however, we can all be armchair quarter backs. And I know what a pain it is to run events similar to this, as I have been there - done that. So even though we are trying to be constructive in our criticism; hats off to all the people who run the show and make it possible for the rest of us to attend. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be talking about what a great time it is anyway.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
BryceG #625167 Mon Aug 10 2015 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
This is a great topic Bryce. Everyone of you who posted has made honest valid points, I won't rehash them. However I will mention that I had a good conversation with Ron and I thought he really listened to what I had to say and I thank him for letting me express my opinion.

The start time is out of control! It is very clear thru the ages that as a society we cannot govern ourselves without some rules, I am all for rules (hey I work for the government, I know about rules....LOL). Rules protect people and also make it fair for everyone which is why adhering to a strict start time would make it fair for both the dealers and buying public, which leads me to another part of our conversation.

As I understand it, at one time when they tried to clamp down on the start time, it angered some dealers and they threatened to never come back, some claim that it really hurt the show. So without dealers you don't have a show, without buyers then the dealers have no one to sell to. It's simple to me, no one is more important than the other...oh I almost forgot, without a promoter you won't have a show....it takes a huge effort on everyones part to make for a successful event. Overall I had a great show, really enjoyed the people and want to thank all that stopped in to say hello.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
BryceG #625168 Mon Aug 10 2015 02:40 PM
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Every year it's the same thing, Promoter doesn't listen to complaints about start time. Few sellers don't show up because they can't make their own rules should stay home. Went 2 years in a row, but since I can't determine when the Real Start time is,haven't been back since, which I'm sure doesn't matter.

BryceG #625181 Mon Aug 10 2015 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Someone mentioned earlier a vender next to em @ IG routinely buys a swap spot outside in the swap area,but never occupies it & lets it sit empty as a back up and sells in the hotel instead.He stated that really hurts the show as a whole,and I completely agree with that,and think this is something that really has to stop going un-noticed by the promoter.That's a swap spot that someone more willing & eager to occupy,would love to have.Maybe someone who would draw more people into the show as well,year after year.
SuperChevy Indy 20 years ago.I stood in line on Thu. to buy a 3 day pass,and then proceeded to find a parking spot and walk the swapmeet.A "friend" I met up with later on,told me I was a chump.As he just pays the vendor fee every year,drives his giant 10 door SUV into his waiting 20X10 swap spot,locked it and then walked around the swap & car show for the next few hours.Also had easy access to load his vehicle for heavy items and would even drive it around like a golf cart when he got tired of walking."Out of my way everyone,I'm a vendor" he'd constanly say under his breathe.He did this all 4 days for the next 15 years or so.Finally the shows promoter saw more & more like him and policed who was really setting up to sell items,and who was actually taking advantage of the system like him by just parking their vehicles inside the swapmeet.
Unfortunately that show is no longer with us,and it's no wonder.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
BryceG #625182 Mon Aug 10 2015 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No matter what Ron and John do, whether they leave the show alone or make changes, there will still be unhappy people. I was there for 5 days and made great purchases on all 5 days. This show is so large and has so many vendors and so many items available at all different collector levels, that IMO, if anyone goes and doesn't have a good time, that's their own fault. Great show..I'm already looking forward to next year....

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Signs&Neons

I arrived Tuesday morning before 9am and I felt LATE. This is for a show that "starts" on Wednesday? I personally love the way CTO does it in Columbus. A set time for vendor setup that is well enforced makes it convenient and doable for those taking time off work to enjoy their hobby. Why have to take a whole week off for a show that honestly does not need to be more than 3 days including the auction? I understand early bird gets the worm, but why spend a week's vacation and additional lodging/meals because the show is stretched out? IF they are going to ban Monday vending, why not ban Tuesday too and keep it as a true Wednesday start (or even better- shift back to Thurs-Sat)? A shorter schedule means more people can/will take time off to travel to the show AND feel like they will really be able to take in the whole show. More people coming means more vendors AND more customers - a win for all, no matter what your goal is for the show! I had PLENTY of upset customers on Wednesday wondering why all the empty spots and people packing up?

..............If this show were Thursday, Friday, Saturday at a nice hotel where everyone could get a room, have more vending space and parking- it could reclaim it's title as the "Best GAS show". Until then it will be another one that I will continue to go to since it's close - but still always think "if only" or " why not____"??

VERY good points!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
BryceG #625203 Mon Aug 10 2015 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Didn't go to Iowa but bought an item through the auction online. 20% buyers premium is ridiculous. Plain and simple. I bought because i wanted it and knew what was the max bid to keep it where I needed to be. I missed some items due to the Live Auctioneers site which is a joke. I bet a lot of sellers think their stuff sold cheap. Summer is a tough time to sell online and it sounds like most the people left before the auction started

I was planning on going next year to Iowa but you all are making me want to stay close to home and do Peotone and CTO.
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
BryceG #625206 Mon Aug 10 2015 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There may be issues, some of which may be addressed, but to skip the show?? I would never! It is still an awesome show with tons of stuff, great pieces, vendors, and friends.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #625246 Tue Aug 11 2015 07:32 AM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By keithia
There may be issues, some of which may be addressed, but to skip the show?? I would never! It is still an awesome show with tons of stuff, great pieces, vendors, and friends.

Agreed. Dan... don't let any comments scare you from going... its still the best show merely because of the amount of vendors and wide spectrum of items for sale. It just doesn't accommodate the working people's schedule at all... anyone who thinks people should take a week off for a show must be either self-employed, retired, and/or unmarried!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By pumpingethyl
No matter what Ron and John do, whether they leave the show alone or make changes, there will still be unhappy people. I was there for 5 days and made great purchases on all 5 days. This show is so large and has so many vendors and so many items available at all different collector levels, that IMO, if anyone goes and doesn't have a good time, that's their own fault. Great show..I'm already looking forward to next year....

X2

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
BryceG #625263 Tue Aug 11 2015 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said.... X3

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By pumpingethyl

X4--I agree with Dennis too! I don't care when it starts--I'll be there! I have more fun in Iowa than I do the rest of the year. LOL

Last edited by K W FRITH; Tue Aug 11 2015 11:09 AM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
X5. Great show!

keithia #625282 Tue Aug 11 2015 01:26 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By keithia

I would also agree with above. Simply offering feedback for discussion. I had a great time and always do my best to make it. I do agree with Bryce on the schedule. I can't justify a week's vacation for a gas show. Great time with great people and plenty of nice stuff at Iowa!

BryceG #625302 Tue Aug 11 2015 02:54 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
X6, I agree with Kevin 100%, "I don't care when it starts--I'll be there"! I got there Sunday morning and left Wednesday morning. I saw all I wanted to see, bought all money would allow me to buy, and sold everything I brought. Who cares if the hotel is old and smelly, just drink another beer. Another GREAT Iowa Gas and looking forward to my 20th year in 2016!

-Matt
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved