Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Hello Group,
I'm new to the hobby and would like to introduce myself. I'm JP White and I live in Hammond, LA.
A friend has a Southwest 45 gas pump for sale. It's missing most glass (including globe,)the turn back handle is broken off and one computer face is badly bent. The nozzle and decent hose are present. The only glass visible are both "sight glass" (?) but both are dark. It appears otherwise complete to my unschooled eyes. Lots of surface rust but no rust through. I did not think to check for hinges, being one door was tied to the pump.
I looked around the parts vendor’s websites but only found a repo computer face.
This thing could be missing a lot of trim pieces and I would never know having never seen a similar pump or image.

The price is $300 which seems fair if it's mostly complete. (Opinions?)

Could someone please point me to an image on the net or send an image of a SW 45?

This would be my first pump project so any and all advice is welcome.

My restoration experience is limited to Jukeboxes, antique Coke machines, Penny Scales... But I'm going to do a pump sooner or later!
Thanks, JP

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Welcome JP. for $300.00 your not going to get hurt. just make sure the skins are nice and striaght.you might even thing about giving Vic's place, Gas pump heaven and mainly Ron Scobie a call on the parts. if you can get the parts buy the pump. Just my opinion. good luck.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.
www.vintage-logos.com
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/Items_for_Sale.html
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/misc_.html

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I also recently obtained a Southwestern 45 pump. Mine cost me a 30 pack of Keystone Light, maybe I got a better deal. Mine does not have a computer or faceplates. Ron Scobie has faceplates, and although I've not yet recieved my catalogue yet, I've heard that Vic's Place has some other parts. I am currently gutting mine, to install a TV. I will make a false faceplate and install an ordinary clock in place of the spinner. Mine has 2 small stainless steel trim pieces above & below the glass, but no other trim. The glass should be no big deal, but the gaskets may require a little bit of thought. The sight glass on yours is likley just dirty. They will come out by removing the 4 screws on the flange. I washed mine with a little Ajax. There will also be 2 hinges & a latch bar for the doors. The latch bar is behind the acces door on the side panel, as is the light switch. If your hinges have failed, like mine, the Tokheim 39 hinges look like they might work. Good luck & have fun we were all newbies at one time, for me it was just last month that I got my first pump. And there's more on the way. Hope this helps.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Duane and Thunder for your replies.
Thunder I'm interested in the trim pieces you mentioned. Does your pump have one above and one below each glass? Mounted horizontal?
I will take a better look at the pump this weekend looking for trim, hinges...

Does anyone know if Jack Sim's book "An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps" has an image of a Southwest 45?

Thanks, JP

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Yes, one above & one under, horizontal, about 4" long. I'd send a photo of the pump, but it's in pieces, all over the shop.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I do not have a pic of the 45 in my book. Southwest brochures have always been a little hard to find. I have been able to identify a 605 and a Gulf Twin made by SW, that are not in the book, but if anyone can help with a pic of the 45 I would sure appreciate it.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
IF YOU NEED ANY ITEMS, INCLUDING DOORS I HAVE LOTS OF THE SW 45 PARTS. ALSO TRY WEBBERS IN FT. WORTH TEXAS 800-433-7867

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Thunder, Jack and Ken. Your help is much appreciated.

Jack, I plan to see the SW-45 this weekend and will take a few high-res images. I will be happy to forward you a few if you want them.

Ken, I may be sending you a request for parts assuming I buy this pump. Thanks for the offer.

I'm warming up to the idea of buying this pump. Thanks for the help guys!

I wonder what the wife will think...

JP

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved