Next Thread
Print Thread
#628541 Sat Sep 05 2015 07:41 AM
Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Good morning. I know that a lot of people take the actual pump and motors out when they are doing a gas pump restoration. ( I have a couple that way and they sure are easier to move) I would like to do a detailed restoration of everything inside a Bennett 150 that I am doing. Does anyone have pictures of restorations of other pumps including the plumbing, pump and motor? It looks like the motor in mine was black and some of the other parts appear to be a light grey under some of the other paint. Thanks, Jim

Bennett 150 # 1.JPG photo 8 rs.JPG

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Jim, there was a very nicely restored Wayne 60 I believe that Mattgas had some years ago. Very detailed at least I think it was him, was on ebay. It might also be in the archives here if someone knows when or how to look that far back.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Old Racer's website has the 36B he just sold with some nice pics of the guts fully exposed.
https://oldgaspumpguys.com/Gas_Pumps_Unrestored.html

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Here are the guts of my 36 that is completely original and I have never even cleaned them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to hijack the thread but that is a nice pump and top!

Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Huskybob- thanks for sharing. Even has some original tags!! j

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
YVW Jim I do have to admit that I did wipe these off before taking the pictures.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Keep in mind that what you have inside your gas pump is first a motor, the belt from the motor turns the pump. The pump, pumps product up to the meter. While most will call the V/R the meter, the big thing just below it is actually the meter, and this is what it was called when the pump was new.

Both the pump and the meter probably has some very old, very bad smelling gasoline in them. So, assuming you want to keep the pump original and want to leave everything in it, you need to take the pump and the meter apart to make sure there is no old gasoline in them. Imagine you selling the pump without doing this, and for some reason the buyer turns the pulley on the pump and some of that old gasoline comes out the pipe on to his game room floor.

In 25 years of messing with these pumps I have heard every reason why you should or shouldn't leave the parts in the pump. The worst argument is "you should leave the parts in the pump in case someone wants to hook up the pump and use it." Believe me, between EPA and state and local laws, your pump will never pump an ounce of gasoline in the future.

So now, the decision is yours.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved