Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#635965 - Fri Nov 06 2015 11:29 PM Price guide book
Danthepontiacman Offline

Loc: Monroe county Mississippi
Ok so those signs I posted about are the only gas station related things I have, I've always walked by old signs because I don't know what to pay for what brand so my question is this, what would be a good beginners price guide type book that I could study so I know more about what to look for and what to pay for old signs.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#635966 - Fri Nov 06 2015 11:41 PM Re: Price guide book [Re: Danthepontiacman]
Oilcanman87 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Michigan
It's hard to go by a price in a book because there out of date so quickly after printed. Values in this hobby is like the stock market it goes up and down. The best way is to watch Ebay and other auction sites and look for sold signs pumps cans etc. and you can always ask here before buying.

The most recent auction of mostly globes pumps and signs was the first part of the Kyle Moore collection. Here's a link to the results. http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/catalog/64039/october-5th-2015-premier-gas-and-oil-sale?tab=0

Edited by Oilcanman87 (Fri Nov 06 2015 11:42 PM)

#635967 - Fri Nov 06 2015 11:47 PM Re: Price guide book [Re: Danthepontiacman]
Danthepontiacman Offline

Loc: Monroe county Mississippi
Ok but I guess what I'm trying to learn is what brands are common and what's more rare and thanks for the quick reply.

#635993 - Sat Nov 07 2015 09:59 AM Re: Price guide book [Re: Oilcanman87]
Mike M. Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Western, WI.
Originally Posted By Oilcanman87
The best way is to watch Ebay and other auction sites and look for sold signs pumps cans etc. and you can always ask here before buying.

The most recent auction of mostly globes pumps and signs was the first part of the Kyle Moore collection.

IMO the Kyle Moore auction prices are a little over the top for quite a few items.

Always use E-bay, and any other completed auctions from proxibid, auctionzip and other sites to help. My biggest learning experience was taking time to go to those auctions and get the true feel for it all.
Also ask on Old-Gas by using: http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19&page=1

And the final rule I use is if I want it for my collection I may pay more just knowing I'm going to own it long enough that chances are it's going to be worth more.

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

#636078 - Sat Nov 07 2015 09:25 PM Re: Price guide book [Re: Danthepontiacman]
Jack Sim Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
One thing few explain is condition. Is the sign a 9.5 (out of a 10) or is it a 7. Learn how to estimate the condition, then determine the value depending on the condition and the rarity.

The condition estimates made by Dan Mathews for the Moore auction were some of the best I have seen.

Jack Sim

Edited by Jack Sim (Sat Nov 07 2015 09:27 PM)

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved