Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635972 Sat Nov 07 2015 03:56 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
This post is not about the show, it's about the globe. The guys came across this very rare globe on this weeks episode.
According to the globe CD, 1920's and it lists it as "rarity 5", potentially less than 10 known to exist. Well now I guess it's 11. Amazing piece to find just lying in a pile of junk!! Staged? No way!! If you see the video, when Mike finds it and picks it up, the lens falls out of the frame on it's way to the floor and disaster. But luckily it falls right into his chest and arms. There is no way that was staged.
Single lens, crusty frame. Paid $500. (now that part may have been staged, I leave that to the critics).
Amazing find IMHO!!

Screen Shot 11-07-15 at 05.46 AM.JPG
Last edited by Steve C.; Sat Nov 07 2015 04:05 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Nice no matter what!

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I was watching the episode with a friend of mine...when the lens fell out and was caught, I shared with my friend that I literally had a nervous shock wave (hard to explain) go through my body as I thought it was going to fall and shatter. I'm sure other globe collectors who watched had the same feeling!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool globe...Its great they saved it from busting.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great find and always love the education on items. I just wish I could watch the show knowing they actually bought every one of the items they say they do instead of all the un-reality!

And why if the whole family has been going through dad's stuff and looking for this Rooster is there one building that's never been opened and OMG there is the rooster right in plain sight! LMAO

I met Robby this year at IG, seemed like a nice guy and a true collector but later watching him running around with all the "want to be" American picker kids on his tail, made me realize he's just enjoying all the attention his ego needs.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Whether it is a movie star, tv host, race car driver, whatever, it must be tiring putting on that public face all the time (and yes the do get paid well for it). Gotta keep those fans likin' ya' I guess.

There was a story a friend told me years ago meeting one of the old Victory Garden hosts in a bar, where he was complaining about all the attention and not being able to pick his nose in public. shocked

Not sure it's true, but there it is.

Back OT, still waiting for 'the critics' laugh to talk about the price they paid. I guess a lot of meat was on that bone--huh? (Blech!)

Nicole

Last edited by Nicole; Sat Nov 07 2015 02:49 PM. Reason: something stuck in my thoat using that expression....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...they are free to drop off the face of the earth, whenever they decide the money and/or ego-stroking is no longer worth it - or sooner...

...insomuch as they have greatly contributed to the ruin of this hobby by filling their time slot with pre-packaged drivel and misinformation - inspiring a legion of wannabe middlemen, speculators, and reality TV hosts/imitators - it wouldn't break my heart if they were besieged by drooling fanboys and fawning suckups for the rest of their days...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just to be clear, I was explaining, not defending them and their in-the-public personas. I had seen a couple of shows because some of the stuff they showed was stuff I had never seen. Too bad it is staged. A great premise ruined by 'reality' television.

That's why I really like the 'on the road' or 'you won't believe how I got this' stories members put down here. It almost puts you there at a real discovery of something quite cool.

So is what they offered for the single lens and frame fair for any mark up they would make to sell it?

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Very rare globe. Seen maybe 3-4 or so...Glad it didn't break! Scott B.

J
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Nicole. Sorry to post off the topic....but I wanted to contact you, and found that your PM box is full. Would you please free up a bit of space? Thanks. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet globe wow!

Braden Splichal

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Sometime last year I was at a sale and found these 3 globes. They were priced right and even though I had no idea what brand they were, I bought them anyway. So you can understand my surprise when I clicked on this thread and "WAA-LAA!", here is the answer. Vickers. I can honestly say that I learn something every time I jump on line here. Thank you Jim Potts.

IMG_0847.JPG
1 member likes this: Mamakat
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom--All I can say is WOW! To have the presence of mind to buy all three when they were in front of you, is a great thing! Most times, a buyer will get the first one and then the others get bid up higher and go to other bidders! Must have been a deal where you get choice, and you just took all three??

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
then the others get bid up higher and go to other bidders! Must have been a deal where you get choice, and you just took all three??

They were priced right and even though I had no idea what brand they were, I bought them anyway.

doesn't sound like they were bought at auction.. ... cool

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Actually they were bought at auction. If I remember right, I bought the High Compression first thinking that was the only one I wanted. Then when the others came up, nobody wanted them, so I took them too. Glad I kept the set together, even though I'm not a Vickers collector, someday possibly they will find their way into one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved