Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#639832 - Mon Dec 07 2015 02:17 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Done4 Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Michigan, Union Pier
Very nice. Can't wait to see it completed!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#639834 - Mon Dec 07 2015 02:22 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Petroholic Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Berlin,WI USA
Looks great!! Nice work!!!

#639867 - Mon Dec 07 2015 07:31 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Nicole Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maryland
I don't know how it is where you are, but I have two Clydesdale farms within an hour of me. They mostly do paid jobs, but maybe your project might be interesting enough if you have such a horse farm near you.

I know the owner of one of the farms (a funeral home) collects all kinds of carriages, and I would see him interested in at least trying something like that out. I took pictures of a mid-1800's hearse he had, that I used to help me with a painting I did that included a carriage from that era, for the shine/reflections in the polished exterior/hardware/wheels/paintjob/etc.

There are collectors in every field. And I bet also carriage horse associations. Here is a couple I found in your state.

http://www.bitsiowa.org/

http://www.midiowadriving.org/

Can't wait to see it finished, and behind a couple of horses! smile

#639873 - Mon Dec 07 2015 07:53 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
bsplichal95 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hays, Kansas
That is so cool! Fantastic job!

#639876 - Mon Dec 07 2015 08:03 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: bsplichal95]
Stu K. Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Western, IA
Thank you, all, for the positive comments. To answer some questions. As much as this needs horses, we are not going to go that route. Expense, time and care involved. This will be set up so that it can be pulled by horses, but for now it will be pulled by a mule (Kawasaki). We have decided against branding, so it will be generic. Colors will be Phillips orange and black. With gold lettering for the signage. My wife picked the colors off a Phillips shield in the shop. The wheels are in So. Dak. @ Hansen wheel and wagon. We are having the hub bands tightened and rubber tires installed instead of the steel. Quieter, softer ride on pavement, and the wheels should stay tight longer. The oak bows for the top are steam bent and purchased from the Amish.

Edited by Stu K. (Mon Dec 07 2015 08:06 PM)

#640457 - Sun Dec 13 2015 12:48 AM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
toychaser2005 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Hibbing,Minn,US
Damn !! Nice Work !!

#641257 - Sun Dec 20 2015 07:00 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: toychaser2005]
Young's Union Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Maltby, WA
GREAT JOB on the TANKER!! My Grandfather always talked about his 20's WHITE gas truck. He is the one on the left. The tank and rear cabinet look very similar to this one. Would these been retro-fitted from the horse drawn to these WHITE trucks? One thing that he always talked about was rod under or in the cabinet with washers on it. He would slide a washer over every time that he poured a 5 gallon bucket so that he could keep track to know what to bill the customer. j

Attachments
White gas trucks.jpg

#641263 - Sun Dec 20 2015 07:08 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Young's Union]
Young's Union Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Maltby, WA
Front view

Attachments
IMG_3843.JPG

#641325 - Mon Dec 21 2015 05:49 AM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Young's Union]
Stu K. Offline
Petro Enthusiast

I have noticed that the truck tanks are round and most of the horse drawn are elliptical. But, I don't see why they couldn't be fitted to a truck. I like the washer idea.

#641332 - Mon Dec 21 2015 08:15 AM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Nicole Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maryland
It looks like the center and right tank in the photograph may indeed be elliptical...

#641335 - Mon Dec 21 2015 08:53 AM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Mike M. Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Western, WI.
Excellent Job Stu, Thanks for posting.

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

#641992 - Sun Dec 27 2015 10:27 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
huskybob Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Near Tracy Rock
Here is a smaller horse drawn tank wagon that has been restored.
There is a slider bar above the picture to zoom in.

Standard Oil Tank Wagon

#657457 - Sat Jun 04 2016 11:08 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Iowa Junk Hunter Offline

Loc: Iowa
Saw your pictures of horse drawn tank wagon.Was just wondering where you got the rear leaf springs and front ones for it? I have one to restore and was just wondering about the parts mentioned. Thanks Kevin Please call me 319 283 8347.

#677792 - Fri Jan 27 2017 05:17 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Iowa Junk Hunter]
Stu K. Offline
Petro Enthusiast

So, an interesting journey this has been the last year. Sent the wheels off to get rubber tires installed and the hub bands reset. That only took 4 1/2 months. After we got them back, I sat on my duff for about 6 months and did absolutely nothing to this project. I see now where folks start a restoration project (such as a car ), get a bunch of money invested and then lose interest. Now much more is invested than the project is worth finished. Then they try to sell it for an astronomical figure. And no one bites. Fortunately that did not happen here.
I took some days off starting around Labor day and took this all apart and sanded the wood and blasted the metal. We had a great autumn for painting. It took about 6 weeks to paint. I used a building that I previously used for road salt storage for my paint booth. A picture of modifying a pole (tongue) blank to fit the wagon. The booth. Blasting the front axle.

Attachments
DSCF0842.JPG

DSCF0846.JPG

DSCF0849.JPG

DSCF0859.JPG

#677794 - Fri Jan 27 2017 05:28 PM Re: For the love of the hobby [Re: Stu K.]
Stu K. Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Some of the progress. There were 7 sets of painting, each had primer, first and second coat. The wheels had 5 coats. The wheel stands took 2 hours to make, but were well worth it. Just spin the wheel to paint where it was comfortable.

Attachments
DSCF0855.JPG

DSCF0860.JPG

DSCF0857.JPG

DSCF0861.JPG

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved