Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#643721 Thu Jan 14 2016 03:05 PM
OP Offline
Selling all six porcelain pump signs used by Flying A. Auctions start tonight at 9. Shipping will be a flat $12 no matter how many you win. Please bid through Oldgas, by entering the auction number in the 'ebay search' box at the bottom of every Oldgas page. The auction numbers are listed below:

Thanks!

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
is that eastern

OP Offline
Yes eastern time. Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for posting that info here!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I've seen these in person - they are the Real McCoy, and very nice...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Outstanding set of ppp...Never need to upgrade.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Ended early. Really wanted a chance to bid.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By Jamie P
Ended early. Really wanted a chance to bid.

Yah I was watching them. And boom!! Gone!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone must have paid up then, none of them had met reserve yet and one was nearly at $800

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
OP Offline
Yea I know it sux. It's happened to me a bunch. I couldn't pass up the offer I was made though. Thanks for any and all bids and interest. 💩

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By The Brain
I couldn't pass up the offer I was made though.

Yes, you could have. It's easy, just say NO. 💩

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
OP Offline
If any of them would have met reserve I wouldn't have pulled them, and I don't say no to offers like that, and neither one anybody else, unless you got more money than you need.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
WHAT A BRAIN???

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Think about it for a min the person that made the offer would have bid AT LEAST as much if not MORE than he offered as he obviously wanted the items BAD enough to make an offer on the side that the seller THOUGHT was a great price so by doing so the buyer got the items at HIS price. By making this offer the buyer was also able to keep dozens of others from driving the price up to above what he WANTED to pay not what he would have paid. Oldest trick in the book!
I have had bidders contact me with stories of how they did not know how to bid or they would not be home and could not bid or were headed to the hospital for surgery Blah Blah Blah ONCE about 18 years ago I made the mistake of taking an offer that I THOUGHT was more than an item was worth. Once the deal was made 2 others contacted me and made offers that were almost twice what I had excepted. Since that time I have NEVER ended an auction early, first I would like to get as much as possible for my items as would anyone that sells. That does NOT happen when I end items early. Second it makes other bidders unhappy and skeptical of sellers when they ended items early. Personally I will NEVER bid on an item from an EBayer that ends items early.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Forgot to put a buy it now option on the teaser auction or just fishing like red hot relics would seems to work lately

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
What's worse...... Oldgas members who are sellers on ebay and end auctions early or Oldgas members who contact ebay sellers and try to get them to end auctions early?

Wondering if indeed it is an Oldgas member who ended up with the signs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You know they are the property of the owner to do with what they like. It is as simple as that. Whether he wins or loses is the owner's issue as long as no contractual agreement was broken.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Gasman84470
You know they are the property of the owner to do with what they like. It is as simple as that. Whether he wins or loses is the owner's issue as long as no contractual agreement was broken.

agreed. and its especially OK in this instance... seller had a reserve and reserve was not yet met. sometimes waiting to snipe isn't the best idea, especially on items with reserves

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, the owner of the property can do what they want and act how they see fit, BUT... if you read the fine print on ebay, you ARE entering an agreement once bids are made. Ebay threatened to charge fees when items are pulled like this, but doubt they do. As a bidder, when I bid on an item, I enter a contract to honor it and pay if I am the winner. As with sellers pulling items with bids, it's also too easy for non-paying bidders to back out, as well.

Making the judgement that reserves won't be met 3 days into a 10 day auction, is a joke. Poor argument.

With that said, it's over. "The Brain" advertised his collection of signs for free here at OG and on ebay, and got a backdoor offer that he accepted.

Last edited by GILMORE; Tue Jan 19 2016 09:37 AM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This has been debated to death on here before, it is a argument that can not be won. Those with morals/honor/even a strong sense of right and wrong will do the right thing. Those who are greedy will always choose what's absolutely best for them no matter the rules they break or the people they effect....and they will argue to the death there right to do it and try and justify it any way possible. For a seller greed is for a little extra money they want so desperately... for the buyer it's the item they have to have or there collection and life will just plain suck without it, both are shallow reasons that will never rule MY life.

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Jan 19 2016 10:13 AM.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By GILMORE
if you read the fine print on ebay, you ARE entering an agreement once bids are made. Ebay threatened to charge fees when items are pulled like this, but doubt they do

for clarity sake... the fine print, aka eBay requirements section, states that fees will not be charged on a auction format item if it is ended early, as long as it's prior to the reserve being met. once the reserve is met, the penalty for ending early is the final value fee of the current high bid

this scenario falls into a loop-hole, in which it is allowed to be cancelled because it has 12 or more hours left and also has not had the reserve met. resulting in no penalty & breaking no rules...

ebayending.jpg
Last edited by BryceG; Tue Jan 19 2016 10:17 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
would have loved to see what these plates would have brought though... i too was watching and planning on bidding

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Point taken, Bryce. I guess I'm not quite up-to-date on the manipulation practices of sellers, and the penalties for them.

I was only interested in one sign, as an upgrade. So, kudos to "The Brain" for finding a buyer for all, and avoiding penalties.

Last edited by GILMORE; Tue Jan 19 2016 11:28 AM.

M
M
Well put.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
He didn't avoid penalities ! The policy Bryce posted is only a fraction of the entire contract, and is taked out of context. You are only allowed to end a auction early ONCE without penalities being sanctioned and reasons are "supposed" to be lost/stolen/broken etc. NEVER to sell outside auction for higher money and avoid fees. After the first time they start to charge 10% of highest bid at time of cancelation regardless of reason, if it continues further sanctions will apply including loss of ability to sell on eBay.

Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around. For this reason, we may charge a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received at the time you ended the listing.
We charge this fee if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.
We don't charge this fee if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, normal final value fees apply.)
This fee doesn't apply to listings in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicle categories, and the Classified Ads selling format.
Because we understand that sometimes it may be necessary to end a listing early, we don't charge a fee for the first auction-style listing you end early (where a fee applies) per calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

Reasons for ending a listing early

When you choose to end a listing early, buyers may be disappointed. If you regularly end listings early, your account may be subject to account restrictions and other consequences. However, we understand that sometimes you may have a good reason to end a listing early

Other terms

We still charge listing fees (such as an insertion fee and any optional fees) if you end your listing early, even if you don't sell to the high bidder. If you want to change or improve your listing, consider revising your listing instead.
Sellers aren't allowed to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet a desired sale price. This is considered to be a violation of our reserve price policy.

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Jan 19 2016 12:01 PM.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i hate it too, but he did avoid the fees. like i said, its a loop-hole because his items had a reserve price that had not been met. all of the language above applies to regular auction style with no reserve. that is why the last statement includes the language regarding ending an auction early is considered a violation of eBays 'reserve price policy'. because ebay is trying to deter people that avoid paying the reserve fees by means of cancelling auctions early.

if you don't believe what im saying then list a couple things with low reserves and then cancel them prior to the reserve being met, you will not be charged a fee (other than the initial reserve cost when listing). Or call eBay, they will tell you the same. It is not condoned, but is also not against the rules.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bryce, I have spent lot's of time on the phone with eBay regarding this subject in the past and just did again to make sure I was stating facts.... Reserve price auctions are NOT exempt from the rules and fees associated with ending a auction early. You cannot end a reserve auction early that has bids without paying a 10% fee of the highest bid at time of cancellation (except once).

What are the guidelines?

Allowed
Allowed
Using a reserve price to set a price below which the seller is not willing to go.
Using a reserve price to make the item more attractive to buyers.
Not selling an item unless the reserve price has been met.
Sharing the reserve price with your bidders. Sellers don't have to tell buyers what the reserve price is, but they may want to in some cases.
Lowering or removing a reserve price after bids have been received on an item.
Setting the reserve price at any amount.
Not allowed
Not allowed
Stating a reserve price for an item when the reserve price feature wasn't used when listing the item.
Stating that the high bidder is required to buy the item even if the reserve price hasn't been met.
Trying to avoid reserve price fees by canceling bids and ending a listing early because the seller's price wasn't met.

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Jan 19 2016 03:09 PM.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
^^^I hope you are right! it wasn't that way a year or two ago.

personally, i think they should treat sellers who end items early more like they do with sellers they catch shill bidding. give them a one or two chances, and then give them the boot for a few months.

E
E
Nothing has been said about the loss of income to Oldgas. Hopefully, the seller will pay Oldgas the loss of income that it did not receive from Ebay.

We all enjoy Oldgas, without funding it could cease to exist. That would be a sad day.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Certainly promoted the "auction" on here

Online Cool
Several posts removed and topic locked

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings