Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Can anyone point me to a source to determine the value of a large stained glass window. This is out of Tommys Joint pub in San Francisco and is from 1872 as best as I can determine. I've owned it since 1984. It is in perfect condition with many jewels and is very unusual, measures 30" x 5'
thanks for any help
Ray

DSCN1799 (500x375) (Custom).jpg
Last edited by hotcidr; Wed Aug 26 2015 05:52 PM.
Please don't ask

Sellers may not request payment for the sale of an item to be paid through Paypal as a gift.
All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You probably want someone who specializes in stained glass. To find a stained glass appraiser in your area, contact the American Society of Appraisers

http://www.appraisers.org/

You can also go online and type stained glass appraisers for California.

Perhaps some appraisers can give a ballpark appraisal on line?

All for a fee I am sure.

Nicole
p.s. It is beautiful!

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Aug 26 2015 06:02 PM. Reason: didn't see it, then I did!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice window. I would think it would be priced 900-1200 and sell 750-950 at a regular antique show (IMO) This is one of those items that at a high end shop it would be priced much higher-and may catch the right eye. Like lots of other things, stained glass took a hit and went the other way in the past ten to fifteen years. There are lots of the newer pieces from abroad, that seem to bring no where near what you would think they would cost to make. Just my opinion, Ray.

Last edited by JimT; Thu Aug 27 2015 03:05 AM.
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Thanks Jim I'm hoping with the known history and the fact that the pub is still open with the same name and on the main street of San Francisco after 145 years

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was just there this weekend while moving my daughters to USF. I love the brisket and pastrami sandwiches. As far as I know, the Joynt opened in 1946 or 1947 and was run by the same family until it sold earlier this year. Doesn't seem like the new owner plans on making any changes to the old standard. I don't know what was there before but you have a really nice piece of history there. FYI - they are at the corner of Van Ness and Geary. Can't miss it.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Very intricate and great use of color. With provenance it helps the value though from what I can see Tommys was established 1947.

Serious California glass collectors would bid that beyond what a retail antique shop/decorator shop would have it priced at. I'd research the pub in old newspapers, it might mention what artist or company produced the glass. If it were done as a custom order through one of the big glass houses it might be a 5 digit piece.

I'd expect retail would be somewhere in the 2500 minimum in one of SF's serious shops.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
A couple of shops here in Oregon that are of national attention. One is out of Pendleton and the other in Portland. Both do restorations on Povey and other old high end windows. They also sell quite a bit especially the one in Pendleton. Look on ebay, for sometimes they have quite a few $20,000.00 and up. They would also be a good source for info and of possible direction if one were to want to sell. Nice window though, and would look good in a victorian home.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm just in awe of the time and skill it required to cut so many small pieces...

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
There was a huge shop in Portland that did this all the time from about the 1870's to early 1900's. They are just incredible, but remember wages then were pennies compared to now and craftmanship was as old European carvings, just the best. Would love to own many of those, have some in an old house and you can just sit and awe of them especially when you look in from outside at night.

Craig
B
B
I recently purchased two similar windows at different venues for about $400 each. One was a semi-arch top, approx. 24"x 48". Got it at the Portland Expo Antique Show. There were others priced a little higher, but none sold before I left on Sunday. The other was purchased at an antique store in Coburg, Oregon and measures 21"x36" and has a lot of beveled glass in it, as well as cut jewels and color.

Windows like these were bringing $1000 - $5000 twenty years ago, but the Victorian "retro" fad has really died out and prices reflect it.

I have been buying them for a restoration project.

H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
I sold this window for $5k but it is being reinstalled into it's original spot at Tommy's Joint in San Francisco

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
You did very well, nice window, probably Povey.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump Globe auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved