Print Thread
#650621 Sat Mar 19 2016 07:17 PM
W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
I walked into a flea market booth today and saw a NOS soda thermometer that I was interested in to hang in the kitchen. It was in perfect condition except for the price sticker stuck to the front. The owner of the booth was in the mall and we struck a deal under one condition. He had to pull the sticker off. Now I warned him to take it to the other side of the store where there was a hair dryer and heat the sticker so as to loosen the stickum. "Ive done this a thousand times"was his answer. I reminded him that the reason for this caution was I had seen this happen before and that the paint could possibly come off with the sticker. Well I wont keep you in suspense any longer. The paint stayed.... right on the back of the sticker. I just smiled when he looked up and told him thats why I wanted to heat it up and that you should never stick anything, under any circumstance, to the front of a painted surface advertisement. "Well youre gonna pay me for it anyway" he said. Once again I smiled and reminded him of the deal. Mad at me he stormed off. What a jerk! So please dont be stupid and put anything on the front of a painted sign. Yes, I said stupid. There is no count how many times I have walked away from a sign I would have bought but there was a price tag or tape or sticker stuck to the front of it and I will not chance it. Please tell anyone you can this good advice especially the new guys to the hobby, and some of the old ones as well. Whats that saying about old dogs..........

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
xlnt advice .. ... cool

RANDY
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Good for you!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like a good learning experience for him!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A sticky situation.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will remember that and the hair dryer is a great idea.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I carry a small container of "Go Joe" waterless hand cleaner (without the pumice)... It softens paper stickers and tape after a few seconds to a couple of minutes...

(also remember to carry one of those small travel packs of Kleenex, to clean up the Go Joe)

It has always worked for me. (a little trick my Father taught me back in the day)

(For those wondering if I carry a container of "Hand Soap", with me everywhere? LOL I carry a small container tin with the Go Joe in it... A great container for me, is a vintage tin White Cloverine Salve tin... They can be found as small as a quarter to approx. half again the size of an old silver dollar and larger...)

Last edited by Bob Richards; Sun Mar 20 2016 02:05 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
That's why i hate it when people put stickers on the face of a can,the longer it stays the worse it gets.Just stupid.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL ... That is true, sure enough!...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This should also be a lesson for sellers. Office Depot does sell removable stickers.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
S
Unfortunately the loss of a NOS soda thermometer. A little WD40 sprayed on it would of softened right up to remove without damage to paint.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved