Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#651518 Mon Mar 28 2016 07:09 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Not many old guys left on here but am going to try anyway. Looking for the old style set in brick or concrete gas pumps faces that instead of a whole gas pump on the curb. These would just be in the wall.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Flekenstein? was the only visible I know of. Tokheim? were the ones that could be set in a wall. If Im not mistaken.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
No not a visible attachment. There were Erie, Jenny, Milestone, sharmeter. They were just like the faces of a gas pump except cast iron around the outsides and set in brick, stone, or concrete.

Craig
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Erie and Sharmeter seem to have been the most common. In 23 years I've never seen a set for sale but I've seen a few in collections. Cool pieces.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Fleckenstein did not make a pump that was set on a wall, their pumps hung on a wall.

Tokheim, none.

The others, yes.

Craig, you have directed our attention into an area where we just look at the pictures of these pumps, but unless there is still one in Siberia, I don't think you can find one here in the U.S. I don't really understand what you are looking for. The closest thing I have ever seen in almost 30 years are some original Sharmeter M-811 plates that a friend of mine found and sold at CTO about 15 years ago. The Gieger brothers (spelling is probably wrong) have found more Sharmeter pumps/etc. than anyone else in the the country, maybe they can help you.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Thank you Jack, that info is some I was looking for. Older collectors would have knowledge of these. On page 195 of your second addition book there is a Milestone MN-202 Double large dial on Metal Plate for masonry mount. Erie on Page 135 same book.

These did not set out from the Wall, they mounted in the wall. I do not know the Gieger Brothers or how to get in communication with them. As I say the older collectors that have seen some of these may be long gone.
Thanks

Craig
T
TC Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Vulcanizer made a wall mount clear vision with the 10 gallon cylinder, same as the regular pump but the bottom casting 90 degreed into the wall.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Again, not a wall mounted visible. Here are some pictures.

DSC04639.JPG DSC04640.JPG

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very unique pumps....

Braden Splichal

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
For everyone's info, Craig is asking about pumps that were encased in a cement/brick/etc. stand. Let's face it, there are none of them around. My assumption is that he wants to create one of them, but they were not gas pumps, they were just meters. Actually, we do not have gas pumps, we have cabinets (and that is what the pump companies called them), these cabinets had a motor, a pump and a meter (the computer or clock was considered part of the meter) in them.

(Actually, after we remove the motor and the pump and 1/2 of the meter from any what we call them "Gas Pumps" they are not gas pumps, they are a cabinet with 1/2 of the meter in them.)

The ones Craig is asking about, are just the meter, who knows where the motor or the pump are, they could be off site. We don't have enough info to determine what they had inside them.

So Craig, I believe is asking, does anyone have any of the (I don't know what to call them), the plates that are shown in the above pictures.

Somewhere in all my 41 file drawers are one or two pictures of the ones I mentioned in the above post. Don't know where to start, but if I find them, I will post pics of them.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Mar 29 2016 10:17 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Jack is very correct on this, and I am looking to recreate a pump set up like these pictured. Just thought that someone would have possibly either seen or had one laying around. If so I would like to purchase one.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I remember seeing one of those in the late ninties on a building around Cleveland Ohio. It seems like it was along the road near that big lake. Anyone know if it's still there?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Oh they are around Jack, in my neighborhood anyway, lol. I do know of one (the Sharmeter version). I'll see if its available Craig, however, it won't be a simple acquisition, not with this individual. I've been looking for the Milestone version because I collect pumps made in Cleveland, the Sharmeter is much easier to get. Good Luck

Goober smile

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Great news !! Thanks

Craig
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Here is a 1929 ad that shows you all the towns in Ohio that had Sharmeter pumps, also below is a picture I took of a couple of plates that were found in Pennsylvania.

I spent 45 minutes trying to post these pictures, first they were too big, and now they are small.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Mar 30 2016 06:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved