Next Thread
Print Thread
#656094 Thu May 19 2016 07:18 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
How is the post removed from the base on a pedestal air meter?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Can you be a little more specific, or how about some pictures.

Possibly the diagrams shown on my website might help.

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/eco%2090%20parts.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
R
Mine was just a pipe through the center of it. Remove the 4 screws that hold the head to the upper flange and there will be a large pipe nut. Remove that pipe nut and the upper flange and tube come off. The pipe is just screwed into the base.

ECO Assembly small.jpg
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Thanks for the great explanation.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Original ECO Model 98 (pedestal) used a special slotted screw that attached the pedestal to the head. When screwed in the screw could not be seen as the head went into the flange. Reference this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/pedestal%20parts.htm

Now scroll down to #8, part number 7160. See the head is round but and it would screw up into the flange. I have restored over 350 of these meters and personally I have only had a few of the old pedestals that had this feature, my assumption is that they discontinued this early in their production, but they didn't bother to change the Parts Manual that identified these screws.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
R
Thanks for posting this. Interesting about these screws. I found the 2" ones in your kit were too short only engaged by a few threads I opted to replace these with 2 1/2" 5/16 -18 Stainless steel socket head cap screws with Aircraft AN 916-5 washers.

I know this violates originality but these can be changed at any time. I used SS socket head screws for all parts of the build because I like them and I have no plan on selling it.

Had I known about the pocketing I probably would have done that

I also had a question about the face plate screws. I found the ones in the kit would not fit. So I measured the originals?? which I only had 2 of, they were a slotted pan head screw with an 8-36 thread which is a very rare thread size. I could only find this thread from McMaster Carr as a button head. Your kit came with 8-32 screws and I was wondering if someone jammed in 8-36 screws effectively re-threading them or did some units at one time come with 8-36 threads.

FrontClose.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved