Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I recently purchased my first visible gas pump - it's a Fry 117. The actual pump that's located in the base is frozen up, and I'd like to disassemble it and clean / lube all of the internal parts, to see if I can free it up. The body bolts came out without any problem, but I can't separate the cover from the body much more than 1/4" before it gets pretty hard. Does the black piece that fits around the shaft (with the two spanner wrench holes in it) need to come off before I can remove the cover? If anyone has any pictures of the internals of one of these pumps, please share them. I've been unable to find anything online. Thanks!

IMG_2722.jpg
Internal pump

Last edited by elsinore6; Fri May 20 2016 07:14 AM. Reason: Add photo
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
You will have to take a rigid putty knife and go around the centerline of the pump and break loose the old gasket that has set up like glue. When you get it loose, use a pry bar to separate the two pump halves. The packing material around the pump shaft can also become so hard that it can prevent the shaft from moving. Inside the pump housing are two brass impellers and two sets of one way valves. Be sure you observe how the valve assemblies fit into the interior of the pump housing. Once you get the two halves apart, take a wire cup brush on a drill and polish up the inside of the housing where the brass impellers move and polish the sides of the brass impellers. Then, rub bearing grease or chassis grease in the two areas where the impellers (paddles) rub on the steel housing. It is a tight fit to put the two halves back together because the two brass impellers must fit tight against the inside of the steel case.
Joe

Last edited by model72; Fri May 20 2016 12:39 PM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
No the black piece does not have to come off it will come apart in two pieces Follow Joes directions

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are several variations of this pump with different valves, packing nut, impeller, etc. Yours is like this one. Take your time and take photos. Dave

Fry 70 009.JPG
Last edited by Catauladave; Fri May 20 2016 03:55 PM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
OP Offline
Guys,
Thanks so much to all of you! This helps more than I can tell you. I didn't want to get too rough with it, without understanding what was inside. Thanks again!

OP Offline
Quick update - with much guidance from Joe and Dave, I worked through this successfully. As Joe indicated in his earlier note, the packing was the issue - it has become hardened and had a death grip on the impeller shaft. This was also my first experience at using Aerokroil, and I can't say enough good about this stuff! In the end, I wound up using a gear puller (as shown in the first picture) to force the shaft down through the packing. I took my grip on the bottom edge of the gland nut cover, used two large hose clamps to hold the arms tight, and pushed against the shaft. It took some time to work it down through the packing, but it eventually got it. The next hurdle was the impeller removal, as it had become stuck to the case. I heated the case several times before resorting to the Aerokroil again. I saturated the impeller in all of the areas where it was contacting the case, and after letting it soak for about 4 hours, was able to work it out with a couple of pry bars, by going very slowly and very carefully. Thanks again for all the help Guys! I couldn't have done this without your help!

IMG_2759.jpg pump 2.jpg pump 3.jpg pump 4.jpg
Last edited by elsinore6; Mon May 23 2016 11:54 AM.
OP Offline
Back together and working like it was designed to....

pump 5.jpg
Last edited by elsinore6; Mon May 23 2016 11:56 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has been a very informative thread, with a lot of helpful information! Kudos to Joe & Dave & Bill, that took the time to do the explanations and post the photos! You guys are top shelf!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Experience is the best teacher and sharing our experiences through photos and narrative can perhaps prevent someone else from wasting time or worse...lol Those Fry pumps are a lot of fun. I am still working on finding the patent for the actual pump. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
R
R
Thanks for this info guys. I have a frozen pump that I want to get cranking again, and this shows all I need to get it done.

H
H
Another big thanks for all the info. on this thread. My Southwest OK7D has a similar, if not same pump. I'm sure I can now tackle completing the cleaning. Hector

R
R
Just adding a little to this valuable discussion... I tried unsuccessfully to take my pump mechanism apart (in a Southwest OK-7D) early-on in the restoration, and almost gave up. After reading this, I talked with Ken Bruce who suggested I remove the pump and soak it. Rather than total removal, I stood the pump up, plugged the bottom pipe, and poured diesel and a bit of Stabil down the pipe, then let it soak for a week. Then I drained the mix, tipped the pump into my pickup bed, and went back to work on separating the face plate.
To my surprise, I was finally able to wedge it open, then used wood wedges to minimize damage as I removed the plate (pics).
After cleaning and greasing, I replaced the pump and face, and...
for the first time in 50 years, our family pump was free and working again.
Now the brass valves make a pleasant ringing sound when the handle is pumped. We will present the 80-year-old pump to my Mom on her 80th birthday, and she'll be able to pump the handle like she did as a kid on the farm.
Thank you all for the help.

pump guts 2.JPG pump guts 1.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings