Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#66176 Fri Oct 28 2005 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Paul, glad to see you are keeping your collection. As far as Rex and others can't give a clue. Must be or have been a retirement plan. Me I like my collection too much to dump it. I invested in CA real esate and would hate to give it up but might have to sell off when I retire to keep up my expensive life style. I think the top might be close so have everyone panic and sell out. I will be there still collecting but at a lower price. I don't care if the bottom falls out of signs and all the rest. I never paid anything more for an item than I wanted and if the whole thing goes south so what. I sure as heck wouldn't count my collection as my best investment. If it goes up great or down fine I won't be the one selling it. I have one son that likes the stuff but it is up to my wife (if she out lives me) to do what she wants with it.It's only money. Win some lose some. My 2 cents. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Home of Roach & Darnell Texaco 1952 -1963 & Richfield Arco 1963 - 1972
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 10-28-2005).]

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#66177 Fri Oct 28 2005 06:36 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hey Ted,

I agree 100%. Myself, I enjoy the collecting hobby but truly enjoy the "finding" more than the "having". Some of my collection I treasure enough that my wife will have to sell it because I won't do it before I die. That's why I wonder when life long collectors sell out their collections. Of course, it's their personal business, whether for a "retirement plan" as you mentioned, estate planning or just bailing out.

By the way, if your main investment has been California real estate, you have been doing extremely well for yourself! You ought to be buying a lot of Rex's auction items next year!!

Paul

#66178 Fri Oct 28 2005 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul,
Long time collectors sell their collections for a variety of reasons. Some want to downsize in their later years, some consider their collections investments and they want to cash in, for some its because of health reasons, others because they don't have anyone to pass their collections too. For some its a combination of some of those reasons or others. I don't really think Rex needs to explain his decision to sell to anyone. I'm with Ted. I like my collection too much to dump it. I plan on keeping my stuff until I die. I want a few pieces to go to certain people but my wife and son can figure out what to do with the rest.
What's important now is Rex is happy with his decision to sell. This is a great opertunity for the rest of us to add some great items to our collections.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#66179 Sat Oct 29 2005 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ROGER LIKES REX. WHEATHER HE HAS STUFF OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#66180 Sat Oct 29 2005 06:42 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You said it Roger

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#66181 Sat Oct 29 2005 07:59 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm selling a couple of different collections in February. One for a guy that has no intention of stopping collecting, he just wants to lock in the dollar gains his stuff has experienced in the last 5 years. The other guy wants to buy an airplane. SEE...different strokes for different folks!!

#66182 Sun Nov 06 2005 04:33 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is a topic near and dear to my heart being a fairly new petro collector. I’ve been buying signs for about the past 5 years….just about the same timeframe that has seen the highest dollar appreciation for this hobby. To me prices have always been high since I wasn’t collecting when the stuff was cheap.
Perhaps we are at the top of the market but so is housing, classic cars, fine art, etc. Everything seems to go in cycles. This market may rescind for a while as does everything else but as long as new collectors keep entering the hobby, the bar continues to raise.
Me personally, I know I spent too much on some of the signs I have but I only buy what I like. This way if the market does drop for a while, I still get to enjoy the beauty and pleasure my collection brings regardless of current market value. Rex selling his collection just allows me to add another piece to my collection and it allows Rex to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Good for you Rex!
Chuck

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
#66183 Sun Nov 06 2005 05:23 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Never gave this topic much thought, my biggest worry was that my son or daughter would sell a restored clock face for a few hundered dollars after I died. I'm 35 but anyone could go at anytime.
I don't plan on selling my collection, thats not why I collect. I collect because, one I want to preserve and restore, second it drives Kristin (my wife to be) nuts, third I just like going out to the shop and looking at it.
I look at this aution as a way of meeting people and driving Kristin a little more nuts. Looks like a lot of great stuff, I will see you there.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 11-06-2005).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#66184 Thu Nov 10 2005 04:14 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The online catalog for Rex's auction is now available at www.aumannauctions.com . 1129 items in full color. Set aside a couple of hours and enjoy the show!!!

Richard

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 11-10-2005).]

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 11-10-2005).]

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#66185 Thu Nov 10 2005 07:26 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
i wait to win some mopar stuff at rexs like that mopar oil filter rack sign .

where's all the mopar stuff anyone

#66186 Thu Dec 01 2005 07:18 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
rex i saw you had an reo sales and service sign and i look through your auction on aumann did not see it listed wondering if its for sale if so contact me at ls95400@cox.net and if is listed in the auction what is the number thank you

#66187 Thu Dec 01 2005 08:09 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
HEY MOPARMAN THE REO SIGN IS #594 BEING SOLD ON THE SECOND DAY......THIS PROXIBID BID LINK WILL TAKE YOU TO THE HOME PAGE (I HOPE) GO TO THE JANUARY CALENDER THE AUCTIONS DATES ARE JAN 27,28,29......THERE YOU CAN USE SEARCH BY ITEM OR NUMBER. http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Home.asp
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST HOPE YOU GET EVERYTHING THING YOU LIKE.
REX LIKES SIGNS

#66188 Fri Dec 02 2005 08:37 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
As far as your collection goes after you die...It would be a big help for your survivors if you took the time to photograph all of your items and put it on a CD, along with what you paid, the date, and what you or an appraiser preferably would value the stuff on a said date....that way your family will at least have a ball park idea of what it is worth.

Then again, the auction system works well at dispersal time; some may go a little cheaper some a little higher but it should work out over all. I too would be bothered to think one of my visibles or clock faces, fully restored, would sell for pennies on the dollar like 35 bucks or something stupid. Then, you could specify some type of reserve...

#66189 Fri Dec 02 2005 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Then again, the auction system works well at dispersal time; some may go a little cheaper some a little higher but it should work out over all. I too would be bothered to think one of my visibles or clock faces, fully restored, would sell for pennies on the dollar like 35 bucks or something stupid. Then, you could specify some type of reserve..."

That's why its important to use an auctioneer that is not only reputable, but knowledgable about what they are selling. Aumann's easily meet both of those criteria.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#66190 Fri Dec 02 2005 03:00 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I just received my "auction flyer" in the mail this afternoon from Aumann's for Rex's big event!! 57 days and counting!!!

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved