Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#662197 Sat Jul 30 2016 03:10 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
It is Saturday. I usually close my shop at noon but today kept working. My phone rang three times after my normal hours. One call was a wrong number but two wanted answers to a quick question....Pump values were the question. When I state that I can be of no help unless I see it in person, they usually pursue that they only want a general guess. I tell them that on my site, there is a block to click where I offer handwritten estimates of value, using photos that they need to send me along with a $50.00 fee for the service. Surprising how quickly they end the call with "never mind." Although I don't get many thoughts these days worth a darn.... but today was different. I was finishing up a pump in my shop and having done several hundred restorations....your mind wanders as your hands do the regular stuff. It occurred to me that there have been tons of newbies on this site over the years. They all come here seeking knowledge of one sort or another. Most talk a good game. They ask for help and advice but rarely do they offer anything in return? Since I am not a member on any other forum, I have no experience as to whether this is normal or not? After the initial contacts, they seem to just fade away??? Sad to waste so much time helping folks who can not or will not try to help themselves? As I age, my time has become more precious to me. I like helping people but hate the lack of appreciation that I am given. It is as though they expect this to be a free venture on their part?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gasmansgp #662200 Sat Jul 30 2016 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unfortunately it is common today.The carpetbagging younger "I'm entitled" people who demand an answer like value,only to be never heard from again.Their attitude precedes them inperson,which is why I don't take any calls from strangers pertaining to such inquiries as yours.

Blame this instant technology world we live in,and thus they too were raised in.Unfortunately,common sense or doing their own footwork is not any of their virtues.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
gasmansgp #662205 Sat Jul 30 2016 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I stopped handing out values years back . It's not because I'm antisocial or some "Know it all " . I catch enough hell on Facebook when I'm the slightest bit off in a year or a dollar amount because all too often there are the Value trolls .....

see ya on the road folks !
gasmansgp #662209 Sat Jul 30 2016 05:59 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I see this issue differently.

Many times on this site I see members deriding other collectors for asking seemingly innocuous questions such as: How can you tell a certain globe or sign is repop, Is it better to leave something unrestored, or what is the approximate value. Quite often the response is "go do your own research". In my opinion asking an experienced collector in that area is part of doing your research (in addition to watching auction values, seeing the items at shows, buying reference material etc.) Automatically assuming they have not done their research is presumptuous. After collecting for 40 plus years I have expertise is some areas. I am not offended when someone asks my opinion. I appreciate that if you are in the business that the time cost of fielding those queries is a real factor to be considered. I also see that in some cases the attitude of the person readily indicates there will be no quid pro quo i.e. no sharing to their knowledge or expertise.

As an antique car collector as well I am seeing our antique car clubs dying for lack of new blood. I would hate to see the same happen to our petroliana hobby for lack of encouragement to the new (possibly younger) collectors. Lastly with the onslaught of repops, I hate to see new collectors disillusioned with the hobby because they have been burned as a result of those experienced collectors not helping them out.

I am off the soapbox.

Last edited by muntzman; Sat Jul 30 2016 06:01 PM.
gasmansgp #662212 Sat Jul 30 2016 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This topic comes up like the daffodil's very year. Been doing this a long time because I enjoy doing it. Won't say it I love it because sometimes it just it ***** me off. With all that said I don't understand why a charge to guess what something is worth is required or worthy? I question how someone knows the actual value of anything? Desire and personal interest makes the value so to pay someone what they think it is worth is valueless, so why would you want to pay for for an opinion.

Be happy with what you have and maybe pass on an oppinion that is based on assumption.

Have gas all the time
gasmansgp #662215 Sat Jul 30 2016 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its more like dandelions! I agree with Muntzman for the most part. I have been lucky to have learned on the fly the last 4 years with most help coming from this site and its members. However sometimes the curt remarks and gruff responses are a façade like DB maintained to weed out the sincere and persistent newbie. I conned DB into believing that I was that kind of guy and he sure was a big help and a great guy once that veneer melted away. Now when I can help others, I "pay that forward".
But I do know why people on OG have become cynical. Some abuse the help given them just for profit and disappear from OG never to be seen again.

Last edited by Gasman84470; Sat Jul 30 2016 08:26 PM.
gasmansgp #662219 Sat Jul 30 2016 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First, Paul
Don't answer your phone after hours! lol
Second,
Why not put a recording on saying you give estimates for $50? Or when you get that question during hours, first say you do estimates for $50, and then only when they are interested, go into the spiel about photographs etc. It will end those kind of phone calls quicker so you can get back to work...

I would have been one of those newbies who traveled through because I came on to get information to paint an early 1930's gas station commission. But the graphics, colors and designs hooked me. Kinda addicting to a visual person like me. Plus it was fun to give DB a hard time.

But I do see new folks recently who have found a family item or bought one thing that was cool and want to know about it. And then when they find out all they can, are gone. The bug doesn't bite everyone.

As far as those other types of newbies, Jim does not have DB to help him screen the users that take advantage of this site. The site has grown since I joined, and it's a lot to ask that Jim screens them himself.

I don't have the time or expertise to volunteer, but I just try to do my best in posting from time to time. And fortunately for the users of this site, there is block function if folks get annoyed at my blather... laugh

gasmansgp #662224 Sat Jul 30 2016 09:13 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I do this as a hobby. If I sell a pump, great. I was doing it 15 to 20 years before I got on this site. I have learned 99% of gas pump stuff on my own. But since I've been on this site I have asked some questions or opinions. And if some one throws a question out there, I will give my answer or what has worked for me. From what I have seen on here over only the past few years there are some that get ***** off that people ask questions or ask ones that have been asked years earlier. If you don't want to answer questions, don't respond to the post or don't pick up the phone.. Years ago right outa high school, an ole boy was teaching me how to run a CAT (dozer) in the woods, logging on rocky and steep ground, he was 63 at the time. He told me, if you think you know it all, you better go home cuz something will happen. He said that he STILL learns something new EVERY day. Nobody knows everything....

gasmansgp #662261 Sun Jul 31 2016 07:21 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Guys, Thanks for the responses. We are all generally on the same page here. I too am happy that there is a younger following in this hobby. It should help the hobby continue? My main point was that the newbies, not all but enough, expect things given to them and most do not bother to even thank you. I still will spend time trying to help anyone that needs it. That is my up-bringing. Farm life instills this in a person but it also teaches manners. I guess my gripe should be that and nothing else? Sorry for the rant. By the way....my fee for an appraisal is used to [deter] the request. It usually works....if....they read the information, which most do not. I have never used it. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #662263 Sun Jul 31 2016 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A person new to me,who says is interested in this hobby,has to prove it over time with me now...why? because I've been burned sooooooooo many times by posers looking solely for financial gain,that I've become disenchanted with meeting new people lately. frown

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
gasmansgp #662276 Sun Jul 31 2016 09:42 AM
It's rough being a nubie. Going on my 6th year collecting signs. Not just gas and oil. But gas and oil seems to be the the most challenging.as a nubie I've been burnt a few times. I look to this forum for advice Occasionally.matter of fact yesterday I posted some photos looking for help and I got 1 response! Thanks again to that person for responding.but once again it's a repro. Very discouraging.im not giving up yet probably never will. I'll be the guy at your estate sale. So if you help people like me. You might get the money you want when it's time to cash out.im not interested in value when I post,just authentication. I do not sell i only collect. Also, I've been to a half dozen gas bashes,(not many on the west cost) talk to many collectors and read forums trying to educate my self. I as a Nubie have a lot of respect for for the elders in this hobby and highly value there opinions.

Thank you all Howard K

gasmansgp #662278 Sun Jul 31 2016 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Howard part of the process is slowing down your expectations. It will take time for the answers to be written but they will be there. But I feel your pain as we all have when it comes to repops, LOL. In the meantime you have eBay's guarantee that the item is as described. Welcome aboard.

gasmansgp #662285 Sun Jul 31 2016 11:07 AM
I bought that sign a few years back. Im willing to except it as part of my education cost. Lol.These mistake don't happen as often these days.thanks to the good folks @ old gas. thank for the condolences.

Sincerely Howard

gasmansgp #662286 Sun Jul 31 2016 11:47 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
How about the oldgasser who states away and responds to your CL ad. Saw something in the background, not what your selling. Can you send me pics, take the time to take it down,take pics and the price. Oh, the expert says it only worth this, buy it from the expert, never even a thank you for your time.OK if you don't buy but, Really ticks me off when you take time to send pics and never even get a thank you.

gasmansgp #662326 Sun Jul 31 2016 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People ask for values or other help on a lot of forums. Recently a newbie to the hobby asked for some help determining the value of some items on one of the FB groups. Several of us gave him the info he was looking for, and the reasons that lead to our value estimates. He contacted me afterwards. We've become friends and talk a couple times a week. The guy has a bunch of questions and I try to help him as much as I can. He has joined this forum but doesn't post much yet. He's really enthusiastic about the hobby.
Sure, some are just looking for info so they don't sell an item from a family member's estate too cheaply. And some are re-sellers that playing games. But every now and then a true collector just needs some help.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved