Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
tbert1 #662968 Mon Aug 08 2016 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Had a great show...buying and selling...met a lot of great people from Oldgas and Facebook and socialized with some old friends...no matter what the promoters do, some people are going to bitch and complain. I look forward to next years show no matter when it starts and ends. If you attend this show and don't have a good time it's on you, not the promoters...plenty of positives to out weigh the negatives....

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tbert1 #662970 Mon Aug 08 2016 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dennis,

I agree completely! Very well said. That is my thoughts exactly. I had an absolute blast again this year. I cannot wait until next year.

Braden Splichal

tbert1 #662978 Mon Aug 08 2016 09:05 PM
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm not trying to complain to much. Just trying to let my thoughts out in the open. I'm just your average 40 hour a week, 6 pack Joe that gets 2 weeks vacation a year. I take a few days out of my 2 weeks vaction to attend this show.
It's hard to figure out which days to show up to get there early to try to find some good deals. We all are trying to find a deal and get a bargain. We all agree that the prices are getting out ragous. I like most everyone on this site have bills to pay and good jobs aren't what they use to be. So getting to a show hoping to get a good start to try to find so deals just to find out that people started 2 days before you got there at the advertised time is avervating. To walk around for 1/2 to 3/4 of a day just to look at vendors selling $1200 to $2000 pumps and asking $1000 to $4000 for beat up porcelain signs is a bit of a let down. I can't afford those prices.
I found and bought a pump for $450 and was happy with that. It wasn't the condition I was hopeing for but I can work with it. I love looking for the parts(it's the hunt that's fun)I'm glad I didn't wait to long to think about it though. That vendor was packed up and gone shortly after that.
There has to be a better way for the average guy that only gets a few days off to get to Iowa Gas to experience more of it.

Last edited by tbert1; Mon Aug 08 2016 09:09 PM.
Mills #662984 Mon Aug 08 2016 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Mills
One thought on preventing vendors from leaving early is to get a deposit from the vendors refundable at end of the event.

Not a horrible idea...

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
tbert1 #662992 Tue Aug 09 2016 06:14 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have never been to the Iowa show, but it sounds similar to other shows I've attended in having issues.

The first thing I believe is odd is having the Auction take precedence over vendor selling being the 'first' day of the event. An auction should be a culmination or collaboration of an event, not a kick-off since it tends to gobble up the available money pool. Further, plenty of vendors likely want to bid on items so if they've had a chance to sell it means they'll have more money to bid with at auction, a win for the auction venue. However the Auction should not be the focus, vendors are the backbone of these shows and if they want to sell during the auction it is reasonable especially for people who may not care to bid on items currently being offered at that time of the auction, thus they could walk around and buy from vendors.

Promoters have the right and responsibility to police their event. If someone is selling early when the rules stipulate otherwise that seller should be removed immediately, period. Yes some vendors will be mad for being kicked out and say they won't come back, but if they are causing the problem then really is this an issue? Let them put on a show and have people cause issues.

We all know a lot of pre-selling and delivery occurs during these events. To reduce confusion 'pre-sold' items should be picked up during the event time rather than delivered onsite prior to start time. Exchanges well distanced offsite are of no concern. It's the use of the event 'out of event hours' that may cause rumors of selling when prohibited.

Weather is fickle, heat, rain, wind, etc; it generally effects the casual browser more than the diehard. This year it has been hot and that has had the effect on every venue I've attended since May.

Personally, mid-week shows are odd to me, and therefore a terrible idea for hobby shows where much of the participation is from blue-collar working people. It's fine if there are 25% able to take time midweek, but that means that 75% have to weigh the cost/benefit.

Most successful big auto shows I go to Wednesday is setup/vend-vend sales, Thurs is vendor setup/public sales, Friday is Vendor sales and Auction.

In the final analysis, if the promoters don't hold the vendors feet to the fire it doesn't matter how you rearrange the schedule.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
tbert1 #662996 Tue Aug 09 2016 06:54 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
People were posting buys on the Facebook pages as early as Monday! Tuesday was even worse, some even saying they were bought out and leaving Wednesday. Not the promoters fault if people don't obey they rules, and they don't own the site! They could however have somebody patrol the site, and if seen selling or even displaying, throw them out FOR GOOD! Ask people who screw around with Chip Flohe, he catches you it's BYE FELICIA!!

Blair Underwood #662999 Tue Aug 09 2016 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Blair Underwood
People were posting buys on the Facebook pages as early as Monday! Tuesday was even worse, some even saying they were bought out and leaving Wednesday. Not the promoters fault if people don't obey they rules, and they don't own the site! They could however have somebody patrol the site, and if seen selling or even displaying, throw them out FOR GOOD! Ask people who screw around with Chip Flohe, he catches you it's BYE FELICIA!!

Apparently the show has to have a city selling permit which specifies the days that vending is allowed. Since the promoters won't crack down on the early vending, maybe it's time to get the city to do so?
Or the promoters could do as Blair suggests and toss out those that break the rules.
Everyone is talking about the vendors and promoters being at fault. Don't forget the buyers that arrive days before the show is supposed to start.

I'd love to see the show go back to the Thursday-Saturday format with the auction either Thursday or Saturday, and no early vending.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
tbert1 #663001 Tue Aug 09 2016 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I missed the show this year. My first time at Iowa Gas was in 2003, think this is the second show I missed since then. That first year for me, I remember waiting until they moved the gate and let people into the parking lots to set up. They had the hotel parking lot and the one lot across the street with vendors. No one set up until the gates were open and people were let in. (People did complain about having to wait when they were there and ready to set up) Back then from what I recall, the auction was after the show, it was not cataloged or on the internet. If you had something to sell, you could give it to the auctioneer the day of the auction and they would sell it. Somewhere along the way, they started letting people in early, people showed up sooner to find the deals and it turned into what we have now. It is easy to make rules, harder to enforce them. You have to have dealers to have a show, bottom line. Kick out to many and the show will fail. From what I see, there are a lot of new/ younger collectors/ dealers/ pickers/ flippers in the hobby right now. This is both good and bad. If a show gets to heavy handed, people will stop going to sell.

The Peotone show is nice because the gates do not open until the promoters open them. You can pretty well plan on knowing what time to be there. Iowa and Columbus are nice because they also have the room to room vending and an on site place to stay overnight.

I always enjoyed the Iowa Show, got a lot of stuff there over the years. Just had to figure out what day to get there..

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
tbert1 #663036 Tue Aug 09 2016 02:54 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have been to Iowa Gas only once and thought it was a good show. Chip's Dixie Gas is my favorite and when I can be there, I abide by his rules. They are for the benefit of the public. I was at Chip's a couple of years ago and it was the day before we could open. I was looking through his barns and found some parts that I needed. I drug them out to Happy, his Dad, who sternly told me that I couldn't sell that stuff....I was a day too early! When I told him that it was Chip's and I just wanted to pay for it.....he said..." that's OK then." LOL! The very best show of the year in the Fall AACA show at Hershey, Pa. Oct.5-8. There are 9000 vendors who set up on Tuesday morning and most stay until Saturday morning. With this many sellers, no-one should complain about not seeing the stuff they came for. The show is open from 8 A.M. until 5 P.M. on those days. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

carolinaskies #663044 Tue Aug 09 2016 04:38 PM
I agree, it was a disappointment to see that when i showed up Wed. morning, that selling was already going on and some stuff already marked SOLD. I as well had heard that promoters were selling stuff early as well, don't know for sure, but heard it. I think it would be nice if they let vendors set up Wed. afternoon, and let vendors trade amongst themselves(only if they display a vendors badge,no public selling) that evening as well. Open to public Thurs. morning to sell all day, Fri. all day with an auction on Fri. afternoon(allowing vendors to consign anything they may want to sell). This allows the average Joe to attend the show the same time as the rest of the general public and only burn two vacation days to boot! I am not a vendor, but believe they should have a slight advantage as they are paying to be there anyway.I bought a lot of neat stuff and will attend again, but FIRMLY believe, if you say your going to do something, you should do it. I think integrity says a lot of who you are and what you stand for!!!

tbert1 #663045 Tue Aug 09 2016 04:59 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
there are three ways to get in the parking lot. Have the show start say 7am wed. morning. No one is allowed in lot until then. Pay a kid to move a bracade (there already there.) at 7am. start selling then on setup. If any body sells off site who cares that's out of everybody hands. The show ends when the vendors are gone. Problem solved. By the way when I went outside wed. morning everyone was selling and they shut down the ballroom for 6 plus hours and said it would open back up at 630pm. But they changed that to and reopen at 530 pm

tbert1 #663065 Tue Aug 09 2016 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Haven't been to Iowa in a long time, not that I didn't want to go, work seemed to always put the brake on the adventure. As a guy in the cheap seats looking in at this problem it is as old as me. I feel bad for everyone, especially for the guys that have to burn vacation days to attend.

This has been going on since someone started a "swap meet". Do I have any suggestions, hell no! I'm just glad we have these things be what they may be. But, the more you guys and gals talk about it I'm willing to beleive change will be done or at least tried. Nuff said.

Have gas all the time
tbert1 #663092 Wed Aug 10 2016 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Personally .... I think all shows should be Friday and Saturday. Most working guys can't make a Wed/Thurs show.

Ohio Oil #663465 Mon Aug 15 2016 04:00 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My 2cents, this year was my first time at Iowa Gas, I had a great time, took some things home, happy as a clam! Largest show I have ever been to, the room to room was an awesome new experience. I went to most of the auction but didn't end up with anything. Humidity and distance from home are a bummer. grin

Ohio Oil #663472 Mon Aug 15 2016 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Ohio Oil
Personally .... I think all shows should be Friday and Saturday. Most working guys can't make a Wed/Thurs show.

x2

not sure why they always choose to have them on weekdays... the retired folks and full-time dealers can travel and attend regardless, so why not cater to the M-F working folks?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved