Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
BryceG #663474 Mon Aug 15 2016 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By BryceG
not sure why they always choose to have them on weekdays... the retired folks and full-time dealers can travel and attend regardless, so why not cater to the M-F working folks?

...agreed...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tbert1 #663475 Mon Aug 15 2016 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a guess but it may have something to do with the hotel, insurance and the rates? But I agree that it would be sweet to have it on the weekend.

Have gas all the time
tbert1 #663477 Mon Aug 15 2016 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I completely agree..
But if I recall years ago & when DB was alive,this particular issue was hashed out many times.The consensus was back then that this show puts the vendors first,the spectators second.
The Majority of the vendors were/are retired and could come during the week.
Organizers subtly suggested without vendors,there is no show.So the vendors got to set up early and trade amongst themselves when they wanted to.
Anything that came afterwards was gravy.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Ohio Oil #663488 Mon Aug 15 2016 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Ohio Oil
Personally .... I think all shows should be Friday and Saturday. Most working guys can't make a Wed/Thurs show.

I agree. On the other hand I manage to find more globes and signs than I could ever hope to buy without going to Iowa Gas so I don't feel I'm missing anything by not going.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
tbert1 #663561 Mon Aug 15 2016 09:21 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Guys, I haven't read all of this but the promoters themselves were selling from the ballroom on Tuesday afternoon.
The original plan, NO setup or selling until Wed evening would have worked well and everyone I know was on board for that. Many rooms were open on Tuesday evening and not many more on Wed evening, I was disappointed with that. It's the promoters fault for changing everything at the last minute

tbert1 #663636 Tue Aug 16 2016 03:40 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
How would you like to go to the Super Bowl, only to find out the teams decided to start the game several hours early and you are walking in during the 4th quarter?

What happened at Iowa Gas was NOT right. The promoter's participation and failure to act was a breech of faith and is a poor reflection on their integrity. Wisdom is knowing the right path to take. Integrity is taking it!

tbert1 #663653 Tue Aug 16 2016 06:32 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good example about the football game, so true.

Craig
Speedracer #663712 Wed Aug 17 2016 05:58 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
[quote=Speedracer][quote=Mills]One thought on preventing vendors from leaving early is to get a deposit from the vendors refundable at end of the event.

I Agree with the deposit idea , I remember the first time I went to Dixie gas it was on a Saturday and I walked thru in a few minutes and was so disappointed . Since then I go on Thursday or Friday .

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Tim Rohr #663734 Thu Aug 18 2016 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Tim Rohr
How would you like to go to the Super Bowl, only to find out the teams decided to start the game several hours early and you are walking in during the 4th quarter?

What happened at Iowa Gas was NOT right. The promoter's participation and failure to act was a breech of faith and is a poor reflection on their integrity. Wisdom is knowing the right path to take. Integrity is taking it!

Yep.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Cold Pizza #663737 Thu Aug 18 2016 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
The Majority of the vendors were/are retired and could come during the week.

...then they could just as easily come on the weekend - their schedules are the most flexible...

Originally Posted By Tim Rohr

...an excellent analogy...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
tbert1 #663741 Thu Aug 18 2016 07:11 AM
G
G
Here's an Idea. If the show stars on Wednesday then you get there no later than Monday Noon. You get Business cards from the dealers the year before and call all of them before the show. Find out what they have that might interest you and ask when will they arrive. Be sure to keep an eye out for people parking out front who just bring items to sell but are not registered. At your spot on the field bring items and price high prices to meet new contacts. This is how it's been going on for years. If you notice it's always the same group of people who show up early and they don't sell Cheap.

tbert1 #663809 Fri Aug 19 2016 01:46 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have never attended Iowa Gas for the main reason it has been during the week. Up until just this year, I worked a Mon-Fri(Sat) job and hard to burn vacation unless I burned a whole week for Iowa Gas. My time was better spent buying at swap meets, auctions, and private sales. I feel for folks who cant make Iowa Gas or go just to find out that the promoters broke their own rules by allowing sales to start early. If the promoters really want to increase sales and attendance, move Iowa Gas to a Fri - Sun schedule. This is a win win solution. I would much rather burn 2 days of vacation (Thur and Fri) than 4 or 5 days of vacation and I would have attended Iowa Gas in the past. Also have the auction Sunday afternoon, vendors who have sold items have more money to spend on the auction and those who just come for the auction will not have to burn vacation at all unless they happen to work that weekend. If heat is an issue which sounds like it is year after year, then hold it indoors or move it to the Spring/Fall of the year. IF you move it indoors, then you control the early buying/selling except between vendors and that is almost impossible to stop. Thats just my opinion for what its worth.

TN Volunteer #663810 Fri Aug 19 2016 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By TN Volunteer
Thats just my opinion for what its worth.

...worth quite a bit - at least it attempts to solve the problems, instead of just shrugging and saying 'if you can't beat'em, join'em'...

tbert1 #663869 Fri Aug 19 2016 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You would have to have a huge building to get everyone inside.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
tbert1 #663886 Fri Aug 19 2016 08:32 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Confusing or not I sold more stuff in volume and dollar amount than ever before. I also bought several super items. There will always be a post Iowa Gas thread with issues to discuss.

Coryell 70/Nebraska items wanted
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved