Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello everyone, I'm mid-restore of a 1970s model Southwest ETA-1 originally manufactured for the Gulf Oil Company. The pump has two features I'd like to pick everyone's brain about. The first is in the third picture below, large arrow. The pump has this little rod that sticks out that is hooked to the lighting circuit. The switch no longer works. I'm assuming this is just a switch, but is there a chance this is a circuit breaker? Question 2, the two small holes
(small arrow) on each side of the top of the pump: was this for some type of topper? If so, would anyone know what one looked like?

Thanks is advance.
Joe

All the information I've compiled for Southwest Gulf ETA1 pumps:
http://1964buick.com/gas_pump/gas_pump.htm
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I believe that the large hole was for the light rod with a rubber grommet? The smaller holes were designed to allow a hose hook, made of aluminum, to be bolted on. Thereby the hose could be looped over the hook and kept off the pavement. That kept cars from crushing a good hose. If you don't like them, go to Lowes and buy hole plugs. Problem solved. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

OP Offline
I finally took the top off my pump and pulled out what was coming out of the large hole. Turns out it is a typical push on/push off Leviton switch in an explosion proof housing. The switch was shot, and the plunger needed a coating of oil before it would spring back again, but for those following at home looks like the mystery of all holes has been solved.

Plunger which presses down on switch is in the top of picture:

All the information I've compiled for Southwest Gulf ETA1 pumps:
http://1964buick.com/gas_pump/gas_pump.htm

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved