Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Stoneyd Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi All,

I have a Gilbarco 1006A pump that I would like to start restoring soon and would like to know if anyone has any information or tips they'd be willing to share with me? This will be my first gas pump (petrol bowser... I'm from Australia) restoration and being new to this any information/tips I can get will be greatly appreciated, along with suggestions towards any reference material that may assist me.

I'm missing 2 items (that I know off at this stage)
1 facia (4 slot not the 3) how hard are these to come by?
2nd thing is the hose. Can anyone tell me the length and size?

The last time is was in commercial use must have been a Mobil station, still has parts of the Mobil sign one side and is Blue and white (not sure if these were just the general colours or a regular/premium colour??).
At this stage, I'm yet to decide on the theme for it.

Many Thanks
Stoney

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Regarding the colors ... the Premium (Mobilgas special) was red with white doors and regular (Mobilgas) was all red. Diesel and others could differ. In the US they were all red, but ie in Sweden where I come from the diesel was red with blue doors.
br
Claes

S
Stoneyd Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok, so I had a real good look over it today.
It was Mobil Super, it's on one of the clear windows (Perspex in my case not glass)
Yes, the main body of the pump is red, top panels are white and the lower ones are blue. (I will try to get some photos up soon).

Two other things I have notices is
- I'm missing the cover around the bowl on the side
- The nozzle that came with the pump is possibly incorrect

Does anyone know where I can source these items from?

Many thanks
Stoney

S
Stoneyd Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Some Pictures.

1006a 01.JPG 1006a 02.JPG 1006a 04.JPG 1006a 05.JPG
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Stoney
Great to see another local on this forum... other than I'm from melb and your from sunny qld

I've restored over 10 Gilbarco 1006 (Salesmakers) over the years and happy to help...

RE: items missing...
*face plate - will need a left point to visy bowl version (can help you there)
*hose - usual for a 60's onwards pump it was a 3/4" i.d. hose size... the length would vary but when I restore my pumps it ends up approx. 2-2.5metres as the hose gets attached to the underside of the light frame (above calcometer)
* missing cover around visy bowl (can help you there)
* Correct nozzle - over the years I've seen gilys running STM, OPW, SVA nozzles and onto versions you see still getting used today. Early 59-63 model, some still had the aluminium polished "Gilbarco" versions that you see on Gily CM & CMD pumps .. up to you which version but you can easily find local or online.

That Mobil scheme is circa late 70's early 80's but of course Gilbarco Salesmaker pumps were superseded by the Trimline then stainless steel round (Dr Who Dairlek) version.

If you want to go down the line of a correct sixties version, here's a couple Mobil versions I've had on file.

cheers

Martin

1965 Mobil service station - Salesmakers.jpg 100 years of Mobil - CMD - Salesmaker.jpg 1966 NT road map - Gilbarco Salesmaker pumps.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Geez Martin you look dashing in the white coveralls. Do you have a Dalek picture? Did they say 'exterminate" if you didn't pay? That would be a neat pump look for sure. And if you see a Gily running in the American SW you run the other way.
The Mobil quart service bottles in the rack look to be bottles and topped with a Filpruf spout as late as the early 60s judging by the cars-and hairstyle LOL
Fred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok, something is wrong with google translate when it can't translate Australian or Canadian...

"And if you see a Gily running in the American SW you run the other way" ????

Stoney,

Is this going to be the first of many future pumps, or do you have a specific display in mind (car, gas station reproduction, etc)? You don't need to say smile but we'd love pictures when you are finished.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gila monster Nicole. Kind of a slow moving reptile with a poisonous bite. Some say it's a "gilly" because phonetically it would be a Spanish G sound. Maybe my reference was too obtuse.
However I don't think Dr Who was too popular in the States more of a Commonwealth thing. The Daleks were recurring evil doers that looked like upside down aluminum 50 gallon pails with broom sticks projecting out of their bodies that were death rays and they never said anything nice and in harsh voice. I'm sure there is a YouTube video or two on them.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Gasman84470
Geez Martin you look dashing in the white coveralls. Do you have a Dalek picture? Did they say 'exterminate" if you didn't pay? That would be a neat pump look for sure. And if you see a Gily running in the American SW you run the other way.
The Mobil quart service bottles in the rack look to be bottles and topped with a Filpruf spout as late as the early 60s judging by the cars-and hairstyle LOL
Fred

Fred

exterminate... exterminate... lol...

that first original pic of driver standing next to the Jaguar is from 1962-63 I think... I've created a version of that pump before for a client of mine... red frame with white panels as it was a "Mobilgas Special" version....
I also had that version of oil rack in my collection, but sold them.... usually standard quart size on top shelf and pints on the bottom... they had a gold coloured tin top (most companies in Australia had painted versions like Castrol, Shell etc.) but not the chrome stainless steel versions I see the US have... come the 70's plastic tops/pourers were introduced.

cheers

Martin

1980's Mobil pump.jpg 1980's Mobil pump - 1.jpg 1980's Mobil pump - 2.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Martin, its a kind of cool looking pump, maybe more R2D2 than Dalek, but a good garage pump. Now put that beside a phone booth and wear a long woolen scarf and you've got the props for the show pretty much covered.

S
Stoneyd Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Martin, hi.
Thankyou for your very informative reply, it helped a lot. I'll contact you to talk further about those two items at the end of the week, if that's ok

In regards to the calcometer what is the normal thing that is done to the bottom of these where the coupling/connecter rod is? (ie, a small handle so it can be rotated from time to time)

I seen a picture of your JD pump, looks great. It did add to steadily growing list of designs for mine, a Devil's Cut (Jim Beam) style one, though I'm a bit skeptical on how the colur would look it. Just one of many ideas, but that's a decision for a later date.

Nicole,
At this stage, I'm not sure if it will be the first of many or the first of a few. I would like to pick up another 1006 down the track at least and have them set up either side of a jukebox.

Many Thanks,
Stoney

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Stoneyd
Martin, hi.
Thankyou for your very informative reply, it helped a lot. I'll contact you to talk further about those two items at the end of the week, if that's ok

In regards to the calcometer what is the normal thing that is done to the bottom of these where the coupling/connecter rod is? (ie, a small handle so it can be rotated from time to time)

I seen a picture of your JD pump, looks great. It did add to steadily growing list of designs for mine, a Devil's Cut (Jim Beam) style one, though I'm a bit skeptical on how the colur would look it. Just one of many ideas, but that's a decision for a later date.

Many Thanks,
Stoney

yeah no probs... drop me a message when you can...
cheers
Martin

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks like most of it is there. I have one of these pumps, it sits outside (between my garage doors). I needed porcellain faces with (4) slots and ended up buying faces with three and cutting the opening up to accomodate my needs.
I ended up going with Texaco colors and signage.

Here are a few pics,

Good luck!

Wally

O
O
Hi Martin,
My name is Owen, we live on the Gold Coast and I have just entered the world of Bowsers. I have three sales makers two 1026 & one 1006. I joined this group for info but as your in OZ would like to call and chat.

My number is 0414895060

Cheers Owen

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved