Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#686036 Wed May 03 2017 05:23 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I just purchased a visible butler model 42 and am told it is a very rare pump. I cannot find any information on this pump at all. Does anybody know anything about this model. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
pump grump #686038 Wed May 03 2017 06:05 PM
I have seen several over the years.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

pump grump #686040 Wed May 03 2017 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's what I make for the pump.
http://www.gaspump.com/Other_Parts.html#part1
As Ryan stated there are quite a few around.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
pump grump #686050 Wed May 03 2017 11:48 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am the author of the Gas Pump Identification book, but I admit I do not have anything on the Butler 42. I do have some info on the 41, but again nothing on the 42.
Most of my information on Butler items is shown on this page of my website, is any of these the 42? http://petrolianacollectibles.com/lit-butler.htm

I hope the 3rd edition of my book will be out soon, and if there is any chance you could supply me with a picture of your pump I would like to include it in the next book. I will acknowledge your contribution.

I have found very little info on the Butler company and it is a shame that those that do have some info don't want to let others see it.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #690696 Tue Jul 18 2017 01:25 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jack I totally agree with you.This should be a forum where openly share their information for the benefit of the group.

There are three archetypical types on this website: Givers, Takers, and Matchers:
1. Takers mooch off of others, always looking out for #1 and taking advantage of every connection and opportunity for themselves but contribute nothing to the group. They expect their questions to be answered but hold onto their own knowledge like it's gold.

2. Matchers are those with a tit-for-tat approach: willing to help others in return for a favor or in anticipation of a favor, generous, but only with a definite expectation of a “return on investment” for their generosity. I see too many posts go unanswered because the Matchers sees no benefit for themselves in answering the question.

3. Givers. We need more Givers. Givers are people who are willing to give to others of their time, knowledge, energy and enthusiasm. Givers expect nothing in return, other than the satisfaction of helping for the sake of helping.

pump grump #690806 Wed Jul 19 2017 08:13 PM
C
C
Just my opinion but I would add another installment to that list. Not sure what you would call it but would consider myself in it. As a younger collector ( 31) I find the information from the experts on this site to be extremely valuable. I have been collecting for about 4 years, and when I ask a question such as a value of something it's not so I can buy something and turn it and make money. I never sell anything. It's just to inform myself and who better to get an education from than the experts. I greatly appreciate all of you that post on this site, and I have made some local friends in the hobby from it, and hope that one day some young gun will ask me an opinion on something and I will have the knowledge that I've learned to give them an educated opinion.

pump grump #690817 Wed Jul 19 2017 11:12 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Put your name/website out there and automatically become someone who can tell a person who has just found something the value of what he has found. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't get a email from someone that has just found something. The emails are always the same, "I just found this/This was out in my grandfathers garage/someone has this for sale" and I need some more information about what I just found. ".......and what is the value of this item."
I will admit I still find myself the victim of this type of request. I answer their questions, and finally give them a value. I usually say, I am very interested in purchasing the item they have for sale and let me know what they want for the item.
As I have said this happens almost once a week, but guess what, I have not been able to purchase anything in months.
I keep asking the seller "what do you want for the item" and get no response.
Since I am an author of gas pump and air meter books, I don't like to ***** people off, but since they have not purchased a copy of my books should I offer my opinion on the value of the item they have found? Obviously giving them the knowledge and the time I have spent does not benefit me, and because we all face this, should we continue to offer our knowledge just to find our time wasted?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved