Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#695181 Fri Sep 22 2017 06:44 PM
M
marcbr4 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I need advice on how to remove the top layer of paint from a pump. Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure there is a fail safe way but I'm sure someone will offer suggestions. I have yet to find a solution. I've been told easy off works, going to try it on a painted sign that has been painted over. Good luck.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a product called Peeler by Kleanstrip that is designed to remove delamenating base coat clear coat but it won't remove the factory applied primer. You spray it on then let the top coat bubble then blow it off with an air hose.

I have always wanted to try it but never got around to it. Sounds like it might do one coat at a time. Disclaimer: If you try it and it eats down to bare metal....oops!

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have used EasyOff oven cleaner to strip paint from a 30's automobile trunk, it worked very well; right down to the base metal, which is what I wanted. spray it on, let it sit for a few hours and hose it off.

I had read that one could use CLR to clean off a 1928 license plate. I made up a small tray of tinfoil, poured it on the plate and let it set for a couple of hours and it took the paint right down to the base metal as well. That was NOT what I wanted.

I might be tempted to try EasyOff, but watch it closely and not let it sit too long.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Had a friend use Easy Off on some pot medal parts. I worked but a few years later the pot medal started to detreat. I think there was a chemical reaction with the Easy Off. Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved