Print Thread
#698560 Sat Nov 11 2017 08:31 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
I know that 4 gasoline companies owned Martin/Schwartz. And there are only a handful of different ad glass available for M S or Wayne 80's. I have done one (Ad glass top 80) in Conaco and an other in Mobil, and have other pumps in some of the other "M S 80 gas brands". I am trying to not have pumps with the same gas brand. I deal with a guy that has made me some nice Ad glass... What is you guys opinion of maybe having Ad Glass made that normally isn't in a MS 80?

DSCF0416.JPG DSCF0470.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Sorry if there is any confusion. The picts are of the Ad Glass that I have had made for other pumps. ( Just to show how well they look)....

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Looks good to me. I would of done the firestone in blue lettering but no harm no foul.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You are assuming to much. Service station owners cared less about the pump, when I owned a shell station in 1970 I could care less about what was on the pump. If Shell wanted something be put on the pump, I didn't care, nor did I care who made the pumps that were on my island (actually I never looked to see who made the pumps, my memory tells me they probably were Wayne pumps).

Normally, selling gas brought the customer into the station, now what should I do to get his car in the bay where I can make the money it took to pay my help, and pay for all the other things that it took to keep the station open, and maybe there might be enough left over that I could take something home. I didn't and when my dept reached $15,000 I told Shell where to stick their station.

There other assumption is that a pump stood out there for many years. Not true, large oil companies who owned stations changed pumps every four or five years. Think about it, the only thing that hung out there was the air meter, they were rarely replaced, that is why it very hard to find one today. OK, back to the pump, they were traded in when the old pumps were replaced. These were rebuilt, repainted, so if a M&S pump branded Sunoco was replaced, eventually sold to a Shell station owner, Shell would be out there the next day with Shell ad glass and a Shell globe for the pumps.

When I was restoring pumps, there was always one that had many coats of paint on it, each one a different oil company and since the oil companies gave away the ad glass and the globes, any given pump could have many different pieces of ad glass or globes on it.

Your are also assuming that M&S only sold their pump to the four companies you mention. Again, they would sell these pumps to anyone. An example: The blend Wayne pumps, many believe these were only sold the Sunoco, they were sold to anyone who wanted one.

I am not typing this to be critical, I have always said "have fun with you pump." Years ago I invented a statement "There are no pump police out there who will tell you your pump is incorrect (many give DB credit for this this statement, but I was the one who first used it). Again, have fun with your pump.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Thank you Jack. I guess I was stuck on that assumption of the 4 or so owners using the "80" because of the few gas companies ad glasses available in the Repo parts today. Thinking of that, I know ESSO owned G & B but I've seen photographs of ESSO signs and ad glass on National 38's . So yeah, that makes cents. Thanks again

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Standard oil owned Gilbert and Barker?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved