Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#628578 - Sat Sep 05 2015 04:55 PM Wooden Standard Oil Grease Container Barrel Drum
Carlock_Sales Offline

Loc: IL
Picked up on a sale anyone know approximate age? Value? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#628716 - Sun Sep 06 2015 10:37 PM Re: Wooden Standard Oil Grease Container Barrel Drum [Re: Carlock_Sales]
Robert77 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, Mich
Might be a War Time piece. pretty cool, probably not many that survived...

#628717 - Sun Sep 06 2015 10:43 PM Re: Wooden Standard Oil Grease Container Barrel Drum [Re: Robert77]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
Originally Posted By Robert77
Might be a War Time piece. pretty cool, probably not many that survived...

never seen that before, possibly turn of the century? ... cool

#699406 - Mon Nov 27 2017 01:10 AM Re: Wooden Standard Oil Grease Container Barrel Drum [Re: Carlock_Sales]
Motorace Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Plenty of manufacturers offered metal cans for grease before WW2, so it seems unlikely to me that it post-dated WW2. On the other hand, metal was a strategic material, so is it possible Standard Oil might have used wood to save metal for other wartime needs?

Most commercial grease containers show an SAE-rated weight for their grease by WW2, but this one does not, so again, that might be an indication that it dates from much earlier. The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) was formed in 1903 precisely to standardize things like viscosity ratings across the many manufacturers... so... could the lack of an SAE rating indicate that it predates the SAE? . I hope someone knows the history of this container and can solve this mystery.

Moderator:  Alex, Oldgas 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved