Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#699500 Wed Nov 29 2017 12:14 PM
Gerry Offline OP
OP Offline
HI, I have recently acquired a BOWSER pump , I would be most interested to know if anyone could tell me what model it may be ,also could the number on the id plate give an idea as to what age it could be ? . Am I correct in saying that this basic type of pump was on sale for a very long period of time ?.
I am also curious as to the purpose of the device that sits on top of the outlet delivery pipe?
Thanks for looking any information would most appreciated.
Gerry

forum big.jpg
plate

forum 2.jpg
pump

forum 3.jpg
pump 2

forum 5.jpg
device ?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Gerry #699512 Wed Nov 29 2017 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Your pump appears to be a Model 41 variation of the early Bowser pumps. These pumps were introduced around 1900 and were used in varying applications for many years right in to the 1950's. They were one of the first pumps to be used to fuel automobiles from remote tanks.They were equipped with a lot of different piping and valves for different applications. The one I have was actually labeled as a "Long Distance Gasolene Storage Outfit" and I have an old advertisement from 1911 showing it fueling a car from an underground tank.The number on your label is probably just a serial number and I couldn't find a reference to it in my books. The device atop the outlet spigot is probably a backflow preventer designed to keep fuel from draining back to the source when the pump stops operating.

Here is the one I restored. It had a large filter plus a gauge and gallon counter as accessories.

S7300002 (1).JPG S7300003 (1).JPG
Gerry #699532 Thu Nov 30 2017 01:12 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As Gary states, a 41. Actually first introduced in 1898, was sold for many years. Three versions are shown on page 41 of my Gas Pump Identification book, and here are some more pictures.

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bowser%2041.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Gerry #699559 Thu Nov 30 2017 12:08 PM
Gerry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the replies most helpful . further reading on this excellent site has made be realise that my pump was probably painted red when new , It had remains of green paint on it when I got it so I went for green again. I guess anything this old and used would more than likely not be in original colours for what ever reasons we will never know.
Thanks again
Gerry

Gerry #699574 Thu Nov 30 2017 04:08 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The green may have been correct. Pumps coming from the factory were painted red if the pump was set up to pump gasoline. Pumps made to pump kerosene were painted green. Your pump appears to have an overhead outlet which usually was the way the gas pumps were made, but who knows who made changes 100 years ago.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved