Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
I know that there are those in this hobby who would not dare add or take away anything that was not original on the pump, and there are those who say have fun with it restore to whatever and however you feel. just for fun I thought it would be interesting to see how the overall vote would go on oldgas. Which category do you fall under??

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Although I prefer originality, very few pumps are found that are in decent enough condition NOT to restore. A clockface was found a few years ago still in its shipping crate. This pump would need to be left original. Other then examples like this, restoring these rusty, beat up, multi layer painted pumps is really saving them for future generations to enjoy.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with Gary. If it's even borderline I'd say preserve it, not restore it. A perfect example is the Texaco lubster that Neal posted in Showcase awhile back. Neal says its really not that great and is restoring it for a friend. To me it looked like a piece well worth preserving.
It's a no brainer when you're talking about a rusty pump or one with several layers of paint. Bottom line is the owner can do whatever he wants.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's the lubster Neal posted.

To me its in incredible condition and should be preserved.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 01-29-2005).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
To elaborate a little more on the question of originality...if you meant a Mobil branded pump being restored to a Texaco, I see no problem. The majority of pumps went through many brandings, hence the multi layers of paint. What I would cringe at would be, for example, a visible pump being done as a Sinclair Dino brand. But then again, a guy may love Dino branding and love to have a visible pump. It's his investment, so...!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree Bob, that's one nice original lubster.

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Original works for me especially if you can find them in + condition like these.No decision to be made in this condition.In my opinion a original pump like in the picture is worth twice as much or more than a restored pump.I have noticed several oldgasers have striped the paint down to the original color its worth the effort.
FIND EM RITE LEAVE EM RITE.

ORIGINAL REX

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have not found one yet that was good enough to leave in its original condition. However, when restoring one I try to leave everything as original as possible-meaning using original parts if at all possible and using correct paint schemes.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Z
Z
I say do what you want, these were gaspumps a device to pump gas out of the ground and into your car so that the man behind the counter could make a profit, they were not built nor designed for what we have all made them into which is a really cool hobby. And in the same breath i say that if you find something that you want to keep in its unrestored state then do it. The only pump at Seth's house is a really nice green and white original 766 Bennett, sure he could have it restored but he likes it the way it is. OF course I understand that if you have a Blend a Matic it shouldn't be done in polly or if you have a Mae West it shouldn't be done in Dino, unless that is what the customer wants. Bottom line is have a good time do what you want to do, Just make sure you buy your parts from VIC'S 66 (ha ha, sorry)
Zach

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I'm certainly no expert and fairly new to the hobby, but what I have learned and come to appreciate the most by hanging out on Oldgas is the importance of coordinating the proper globe, decals and color scheme for the right time period on a pump. Whether the pump is restored or not it seems like the pump should display the right logos, etc. for the period when it was in use.

It's certainly okay to produce "fantasy" pieces when very little information on a company is available, but to mis-match on a obvious brand is a shame. (That being said I have a green and white Skychief pump in my backyard).

Here's an example of a Texaco pump from Ron Bettins Barrett-Jackson post that is absolutely hideous and no doubt going for big bucks.

C Cragg
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thanks for all of the input, nice topic! Honestly guys, if this lubester was mine I would do super duper cleaning job on this and do as you guys agree, display it as is. My friend is building a small service station area and wants this pump Fire Truck Red. So I suppose we can say it'll still be 100% original except for the paint.
Again THANKS for the thoughts!!

Neal

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Find him an agreeable trade, even if you have to restore one for him!

Do the RIGHT thing and save it!!...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have five pumps now, and since they are mine and not for sale, I do them the way I want them. I would never put a DINO globe on a clockface ( not that I have one - but some day I will ), but I would NEVER do up a M&S 80 like the one in the photo ! IF I ever find a pump that is in the rough but good enough not to restore - then it is NOT getting restored. I do want to thank Poor Man for posting the Pics of the Richfield pumps - I now know how I am going to do my next pump. Brady

L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
What I meant by my post, was not whether or not to restore or not restore, I really have'nt seen a pump that I had a choice, most all are rusting so I restore to preserve.If I actually find one that is in good enough shape, then it might be neat to keep as is, but haven't found one yet. What I was really talking about was would you paint a pump an oil scheme (paint, signs , globe) that was not ever used on that paticular model of pump.Some would some would not where do you fall in that category?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My only pump is a Tok 39 Amoco, done that way because I had the globe already. Ironically the pump had newer logo Amoco decals on it. From books I found the paint scheme to be green on top and black base..that seemed plain to me so where the green met the black I had the guy paint two red stripes with small white stars in between like old logo cans have. This was not original but looks sharp and matches the cans next to it.

Off the other end of the scale, my next pump will be black and yellow/gold, with Signal globe and magnetic "sign" and and Pittsburgh Steeler magnet and globe (If I can find). I can make it a Steeler pump during football season or most all the time, but have a traditional option.

IMO, Many common original spec color schemes are just too "vanilla" without a little something to make them pop. If I only have a few pumps, and I am going to blast and paint them (or have it done), I don't want one to be plain red and the other to be plain silver.
Certainly just my opinion.

Found original & left original is another story, I'm all for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved