Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
A closer look at the Bowser visible kit cylinders shows the selector valve.....Return-Fill-Car are the three selector positions.

See the hinged door with a lock to secure the selector indicator needle.

BowserVisibleAddImage1 (2).jpg
Last edited by tokig; Sat Dec 30 2017 02:33 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
I was able to purchase an American Oil Pump & Tank company sales poster, from gaspumpfrank, that identifies some of the kits they offered in 1922 or so..........Bowser, G&B, Wayne, Milwaukee, Rapidayton and an artist drawing of the kits.

Bowser cut 241 is shown, and the kit differs significantly from the Bowser visible kit, but accomplishes the same thing.

FrankVisiblePoster3.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Sun Dec 31 2017 05:02 PM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Happy New Year, welcome to 2018.

The later built Bowser cut 241 have more information in the form of tags screwed to the base plate of the pump,

You learn the vertical, plugged pipe with a drain cock facing outward is a centrifugal water separator.......and must be drained weekly.

Earlier versions of this Bowser cut 241 tagging referred to the same pipe as Filter, with similar instructions.

The other tag simply states full stroke to measured stop and back is the correct operation.

20161118_164223.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Mon Jan 01 2018 08:52 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Happy New Year to you as well. Thank you for the large amount of information that you have contributed since you've joined.

tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a closer look at the American Oil Pump & Tank kit installed on a cut 241.

Rather simplistic and without enough detail to determine what the kit consisted of in total.

Possibly a 5 gallon pressed steel top, 5 gallon cast base, etc.

Fill comes up thru the center, discharge is to the hose, the third pipe could either be an overflow, electrical conduit, cylinder drain.
Anyone have photos or info on this particular visible kit?

VisKitAmericanOn241.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Thu Jan 04 2018 10:32 AM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is an example of an unrestored Bowser cut 241.
I only have this one picture of this exact pump.
I thought it would give a good view of the pieces that make up a 241, so I started numbering the pieces to allow discussion.
I want to see if this photo will post, as the file size appears okay.
This Bowser 241 photo is a little tall.
This Bowser 241 is missing the top light bowl, but I picked it because of that fact and clarity it gives the upper pieces.

electrical conduit 5 is not connected to the discharge hose adaptor 4a, altho it might appear that way because they lined up in this photo.
electrical conduit 5 runs behind 4 and 4a directly to electrical box 3.
electrical box 3 and hose/pipe 4/4a are not connected.

241UnrestoredSlider_2_y.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Sat Jan 06 2018 06:11 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My 245 Oil Pump has a hole in the pedestal top plate for conduit.
It is a different plate than the 241, and the top cast piece has threads for the conduit to come up through the pedestal plate,
and there are 1/2" pipe threads in the cast top under the cap
If I am not mistaken Bowser invented the water separator.
I seem to remember seeing a patent for it in my searches.
I made you a copper copy of the part you are missing and will send it to you if you email me your address.
It will be a little over sized, you will need to make the new one out of stronger material, cutting the hex hole will be tricky.
Thanks
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Joe, I need the pattern. I took a guess and made this drawing using a slugging wrench sketch I found on line.
I don't know how I will make a hex hole in the steel or aluminum.

Looks like a 9/16" hex hole = 0.563" AF

calibration2.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Mon Jan 08 2018 06:35 PM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Also found a reference to Lincoln Highway and Bowser cut 241 Swing door.

LincolnHiwayBowser241SwingDoor.jpg
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
This 8" x 10" photograph was acquired at an estate sale in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. It depicts an artist's rendering of the Bowser Model 241-H. This gasoline pump bears the logo of LINCOLN HIGHWAY. Logo was red on top, white in center and a blue stripe across the bottom. Several early national highways were named/lettered prior to numbering. The Lincoln Highway ran through the Midwest and the city of Fort Wayne. Model 241-H "Long Distance" Pump had an exposed hose; the exposed hose model first became available in 1904 by the S.F. Bowser & Co. of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Lightly stamped on back: Herb Harnish Collection. History of Fort Wayne (2006, ed. Beatty, p. 189): "Sylvanus Bowser became the first local entrepreneur to step out of the shadows through the importance of his invention: the first modern gasoline dispenser. The pump made Fort Wayne a world center of cutting-edge technology. Bowser himself was almost as legendary as the auto moguls of Auburn, Indianapolis or Detroit. Like Ford, he had a knack both for marketing and public relations. His Bowser pumps proclaimed his name up and down the Lincoln Highway, and his marketing catalogs reflected the high quality of workmanship that he motivated his staff to produce in all aspects of their work. Having become the preeminent leader in a rapidly growing field, the industry attracted competition by both Tokheim Corporation and Wayne Pump, both of which were also headquartered in Fort Wayne." Note: The digital i.d. (jbk archive) is not printed on the actual photograph.

s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Mon Jan 08 2018 08:02 PM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Lincoln Highway map.

LincolnHighwayMap2.jpg
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
The first gasoline pump was invented and sold by Sylvanus F. Bowser in Fort Wayne on September 5, 1885.
This pump was used for kerosene lamps and stoves.
The term bowser was used to refer to a vertical gasoline pump.
Although the term is not used anymore in the United States, it still is used sometimes in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

The Bowser Company produced special gas pumps for filling stations along the Lincoln and Dixie Highways.
The company had an agreement with the LHA that Lincoln Highway pumps would be available only to businesses along the official Lincoln Highway route.

This photograph captures the Bowser Company's 1915 Lincoln Highway Day parade entry
featuring the Bowser cut 241 Sentry Pumps for the Lincoln and El Camino Real Highways.
There are two other Bowser cut 241 pumps which appear to have different graphics but are not clearly seen.
Sylvanus F. Bowser is on the left. (Courtesy of the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society.)
Bowser Parade Truck

Lincoln Highway Map

BowserDisplayTruck175.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Wed Jan 10 2018 08:02 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I finally got the part in a box.
Now to try to get to the post office again.......

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting and historical photo of a early Bowser cut 241, swing door, being used to fill a 1911 Auburn.
Evidently the Auburn gas tank is under the front seat.
Note there are no high pipes coming out the top of the Bowser 241 pump.
The gasoline fill hose is plumbed off the swing nozzle.

1911 Auburn Bowser 241 curbside fill

1911-Auburn-w-Bowser-pumpCrop2.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Thu Jan 11 2018 06:44 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You sure have contributed a ton of info on these pumps. Thank you.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved