Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Larry Ivy's Father worked for Skelly oil for years, he asked me to do the art of a rare Skelly image for a 15" globe lens so i did. He's keeping so many for his sons to honer his Dad and ask if any of you would like to buy the rest. 6 have already been spoken for so there are 5 open spots on the production list. check it out http://bigcheesepetro.com/phpBBpitstop/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=f82590b82be2eb27c0ae24c977e66190

------------------
Dwaine.
pca-west.org
Globe-Logos

GLOBE-LOGOS

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 12-05-2006).]

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Yeah, it's real rare. Skelly never made a lens with this lettering and a red border. And the lettering is different on an original lens.

Later . . .

Jim

A
A
The red border and dark blue lettering were added by me, (1) because I like them, (2)to keep the cost down, and (3) because its my money and I get to chose what, when and who.

Lenses will be produced by Slama and his quality, attention to detail, and price speak for themselves. Bodies will be available at a reduced cost when purchased with a set of lenses.

Rancho lenses/waterslide decals will also be available in January.

Dillo

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...not to be TOO picky here, T-Way - but in the spirit of your post: even a cursory examination of your website offerings show several examples where you (or whoever did the artwork) took 'artistic license' when it came to recreating lettering - lettering, mind you, that would have originally been hand-generated - with the 'closest' computer font...

...one need only compare your Tiwoser with an original (heck, just compare it to Mike Slama's Tiwoser repro, his is pretty close) to see the shortcuts you (or whoever did the artwork) took in their haste...and any graphic artist worth their salt can tell the difference with a glance...especially if they collect this stuff...

...but I guess it's your money, so you get to choose what, when and who, right?

[This message has been edited by gulfiend! (edited 12-05-2006).]

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
No offense to anyone involved in this thread so far, but this is going to get mean-spirited. I am sure there are factors involved I don't know about and frankly, don't care about. I vote to lock it down.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am inclined to beleive that T-ways response is questioning the authenticity of the artwork. There should be NO PROBLEM with speaking the truth in advertising. In fact, the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION actually requires it. Thats known as FEDERAL LAW. Its not a "rare" image. it is a "fantasy" image. If the designer chose to take that route, thats fine. But it SHOULD NOT be allowed to be advertised as a rare image.
http://www.lawpublish.com/ftc-adfaq.html

This is where this post should be locked!

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 12-05-2006).]

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I say keep it open so all you Buck haters can be exposed once again for what you are!
And for one globe maker to take the first shot at another tells me a lot about his character.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I think it's pretty tough to ever definitively say this or that was or was NOT ever made. New discoveries are coming out of the woodwork every day. I'm not real sure there was any intent to mislead. Both guys make some pretty kick-butt lenses and are filling a niche in this hobby nicely. Like I said though, I couldn't care one way or the other, but these little spit-fights on here are sure getting old.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You bet they are Seth!!!!! Thanks for bringing that up. I'm glad that you did not play the "HATE" card, like so many before you have played. I posted a link to the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSIONS mandates. Larry Ivy has stated "The red border and dark blue lettering were added by me, (1) because I like them, (2)to keep the cost down, and (3) because its my money and I get to chose what, when and who." That staement makes the product as a FANTASY piece. That fact makes it UNLAWFUL to advertise it as "a rare Skelly image". The item should be listed as "A fantasy lens, based on a Rare Skelly image".

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 12-05-2006).]

Anything Chevron
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It seems that we are seeing a new definition of the term "GAS BASH". Why is it necessary to BASH someone elses work? If you don't like it go to the next post! As this site is approching 5000 members, it may be interesting to see how many no longer visit or post due to this behavior. My 2 cents.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'll let somebody else go get the $250/hr attorney and take it on. And without resurrecting a dead guy from Cincinnati Advertising Products, it would be awfully hard to make it stick. Come on guys....is there not room enough out there for everybody?? Live & let live....it's Christmas for goodness sake.

And about the hate card, I didn't realize everybody was dividing into camps of their favorite globe vendor. I'm just trying to be a peacemaker and hopefully a decent guy like when I give away water-decals & t-shirts to guys that I like.

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 12-05-2006).]

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Gulfiend:

Not to p*$$ on your parade - but our Tiowser art was taken directly from an original lens. And I'll put one of our reproductions up against anybody's original lens if you want to compare it.

Mike did a nice job on his lenses too. He just worked from a different original than we did. That's why his is different than ours. Again, as you said, "Artistic License" - but with the original artist's/production company's.

My comment was directed to an offer for sale of ". . . rare Skelly image for a 15" globe lens . . .". The statement makes it sound like a reproduction lens offering - it's not as Larry states in his follow-up post.

Later . . .

Jim

(P.S. Thanks for the kind comments on our artwork.)

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Jim...you're doing good work my friend.

Dwaine...keep the neat lenses coming.

Merry Christmas to both of you.

(P.S. Love Ya Thunder, Nice Talking To Ya)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love ya' too Seth.... Kiss kiss.... ROTFLMAO....

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I for one like the lens. Makes it simple to tell the differance from the original.

You guys messing with "NEW" stuff seems like you don't have as much fun?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved