Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#703637 Wed Jan 31 2018 08:08 PM
K
K51 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I've been a member here for a couple years. I own many porcelain pump plates, as well as oil field well signs. Far from an expert, though. Every now and then I come across restored gasoline pumps, whether at retro gas stations or in antique stores. All gasoline pumps I see will have the decal-type pump plates affixed to the front of the pump from your favorite-flavor gasoline. I was at Barrett-Jackson auction two weeks ago in Scottsdale, AZ. In the building adjacent to the auction hall you see on television, there were many restored gasoline pumps. A few of the pumps had legitimate porcelain pump plates attached to the front of the pumps. Most, however, had the decal-type pump plates on the front of the pumps.

While restored gasoline pumps with the decal-type pump plates show well to the public, why do these nice, restored pumps have a decal pump plate instead of the porcelain pump plates that are attached with screws? Did some of the gasoline pumps back in the day have these decal-style pump plates, or is this purely a convenient way to complete a restored gasoline pump because it shows well? The decal-style pump plate certainly cuts down on theft.

Sorry if this question has been beat to death before.

Thanks, Kevin

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Restorators take liberties and some for cost to appreciate more money. The pumps I have done over the years I tried to be period correct. Which would be water transfer decals or the porcelain plates. I would not consider Barrett Jackson pumps as a good example of correct restorations.

Have gas all the time
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
If your question is whether pumps had decals instead of porcelain pump plates originally, the answer is yes...many more had decals than porcelain pump plates.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Many people also do not like to drill holes in a pump for a plate. One of the reasons is that you will end up with the same kind of pump that you originally started with when going to restore. A pump with many holes from different signs.

Craig
K
K51 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for your input.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved