Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#703694 Fri Feb 02 2018 06:40 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Like most of you I often do business on EBay. Is it just me or have others noticed the repetition of postings? I did not think a lot about it at first....but it has gotten so bad it is difficult to see new entries. Someone tell me....am I crazy or have others noticed it as well. PLEASE help me in my dementia.

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Yes, the same listings/items pop up continuously. It literally takes me minutes to go through hundreds of "new" Mobil listings each day. It's almost to where I'm on "auto scan" and I can spot an actual new listing in between all of the junk repro items that get relisted and relisted. My biggest complaint is all the reprint photos and old advertisements that get endlessly relisted, as they are overpriced and won't ever sell. Asking $5 to $10 each for old advertisements is ludacris, not to mention the additional $3 to $5 they want for shipping. The only time I've bought any ads off Ebay was last year, when a seller listed a lot of over 100 Mobil ads from the 1930's through the 1950's for $15, 15 cents each. That was a decent price, lol.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The crazy part is doing what Darin describes daily in the hope one finds a "real gem" and not the same old same old repro posting. Thankfully in my case my searchable items have a smaller number of items to scroll through than say Mobil or Texaco would have. But yes it is a real problem.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have always thought that it was against Ebay's rules to post the same auction twice, but I see so many, I don't think Ebay has the time to check the new listings. I was told they get about 1,000,000 new listings per day.

Darin: I sell most of my gas pump ads for $10.00, I have to, I paid around $20.00 each for all the National Petroleum News magazines I was able to find. I sell my copies for $5.00 each.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I understand completely Jack. I guess I should point out the difference I'm talking about is advertisements out of mass produced publications of the day like LIFE, Look, or Saturday Evening Post magazines, which had circulation in the 100's of thousands at the time. Service station magazines had a far more specific target audience and obviously were never printed in those quantities. I would certainly pay $10 for a nice pump ad if it was what I collected, as the availability of such ads is much lower.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sun Feb 04 2018 09:32 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ebay has a repost feature that if the item does not sell it will automatically repost the item.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved