Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70398 Tue Feb 13 2007 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...you're at a show, and you see a great piece, one you've been looking for, stacked in with a lot of less than great pieces, in a seller's booth...you go over to ask about it, and are told "it's not for sale, I just brought it to display"...now, I'm not talking about stuff that you'd have to get downright nosey to find - (like behind the table, under a blanket, in the guy's car, etc.) - or items segregated from the 'for sale' items, clearly marked with a sticker or sign that says, "Display Only - Not For Sale"...I mean items lumped right in with the 'for sale' stuff, no way to tell it from anything else without asking...

...to put it CLEANLY - I think it's a rather tacky thing to do, and a waste of time for the potential buyer...I feel people who go to shows want to BUY STUFF, not be told it's not for sale (there's enough of that when you're out looking for stuff in the wild)...if you want to share your collection, bring a photo album...nobody likes teases...

...what do y'all think?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#70399 Tue Feb 13 2007 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would just put an extreamly high price on the item. Then only a fool will buy it and we are then both happy!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#70400 Tue Feb 13 2007 05:46 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm with Travis. Great idea!

Seriously though, some people bring rare or high dollar items to shows that they would rather trade then sell. Having the bucks won't necessarily get the piece they're looking for. A great trade also leaves two collectors happy.

Paul

#70401 Tue Feb 13 2007 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...Pablo, you're right about the 'trade-only' thing, sometimes you can only get good stuff for good stuff...if you have something that you would trade only, and you put a sign/sticker on it, stating that...that's fine, it's labeled, I got no problem with that...but that's not what I'm on about...

...Travis, if I really thought your idea of a good show was bringing things you don't want to sell, and annoying people who ask about them with insulting prices - well, I don't know...

...I can't believe that anyone who feels passionately about collecting this stuff, wouldn't be put off by someone basically jerking you around...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#70402 Tue Feb 13 2007 08:28 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
gulfiend,
What are your thoughts on the "Its already Sold"? Ask who bought it and you'll get "The buyer requested confidentiality" or something.

Almost all stores do it. Its a leader, especially around Christmas time. Its in the advertisement, but the chain store only received three. An example would be the Nintendo DS my kids wanted...but there are too many examples. Its the same reason why restrooms and sodas are in the back, forces you to walk by most everything else in the place.

I don't condone it, but it got you there didn't it.

I do like the idea of "For Trade Only"

Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#70403 Wed Feb 14 2007 09:48 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
While we're kind of on the subject, what does everyone think about people who set up at shows and don't put any prices on anything?
Bob

#70404 Wed Feb 14 2007 09:56 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
never cared for that practice... if its for sale... PUT A PRICE ON IT....

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved