Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#705014 Tue Feb 20 2018 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

Have an opportunity coming soon to pick it up but not sure what the value is with bad neon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

ford oval 2.jpg ford oval.jpg
Last edited by PlainBroke; Tue Feb 20 2018 08:32 PM.

Steve
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Do not know Value , But Killer sign !

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
trifiver #705021 Tue Feb 20 2018 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by trifiver
Do not know Value , But Killer sign !

ditto .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #705031 Wed Feb 21 2018 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd say the neon is a fraction of the value on that sign. you already have the can.
Pretty sure the bottom link from above would be closer. maybe a little low? The one at 21.5K was part of the V8 sign which is smaller and more desirable. Plus i thought lots of that stuff sold at top end. JMO.

Last edited by JimT; Wed Feb 21 2018 09:53 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve... Id say $5-9k

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I see this FORD sign is two-sided, and with reasonably good porcelain. Since the can is included, I'm thinking this sign value (to me) is in the $8,000 to $10,000 range these days. Just my opinion, of course. I should note that I'm conservative by nature! By the way, I don't think the broken neon affects the value by all that much. That is expected by many collectors in a "as-found" neon sign. And, in my opinion, correctly repaired or replaced neon won't hurt the value much at some future point in time. After all, every sign collector wants these things to light up! Of course, a sign that was not originally punched for neon, but has been made into a neon sign is an entirely different story. Obviously, that's not the case here.

TWO guys had to think that first FORD sign at the Miller auction was worth the $20,000+ price. I realize what Jim is saying about the prices at the Miller auction being on the top end, and I feel the same way. However, how many times over the past five years or so, have we seen what seemed like high auction prices for these goodies become the new normal? In my mind, there's no doubt that high auction prices push prices up in general. Sure, we still might come upon a seller who doesn't know gas and oil things, or who hasn't kept up with prices over the past decade....but ask yourself, how often does that happen any more (compared to ten years ago)? John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Wed Feb 21 2018 12:30 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide input on the value of the Ford Oval, appreciate the feedback.

Working on a deal that includes some pumps to go along with the sign so your feedback will help me with a starting point.

Wish me luck!

Steve

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, I was trying to say that the one that was 20k+ was the four foot version that accepts the v8 sign as well-not apple to apples. The other link was for a 6 foot painted tin sign. IMO your estimation is pretty good. Id say like 7-8 but im pretty cheap. Its a great sign Steve. Good Luck!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Jim....I appreciate your cordial comments above. Thanks for understanding that I wasn't taking a shot at you with my pricing thoughts. I respect your experience, and thought your analysis was very thorough. You're right about "apples-to-apples" comparisons being super important to setting values on this stuff that we love! Here's to an early Spring in your neck of the woods. More snow coming here in northern Wisconsin.

And, Steve, please let me echo Jim's wish for you: Good luck, as you work to bring this nifty FORD sign, and those pumps home! John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this doesn't mean anything yet as there are no bids but something too watch (compare with) , .. ... cool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-Ford-Neon-Porcelain-Dealership-Sign/173175768067

RANDY

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved