Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#70530 Thu Aug 11 2005 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well I see that everyone that was going to say anything did so lets let the beaten horse die. There was a lot of points made and opinions taken.
I will add I can buy some cool items off ebay or oldgas but nothing can beat going to a gas show and seeing you guys there and talking and chatting with other crazy people like myself. If you go to a show... it's not all about buying it's also about friends!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#70531 Thu Aug 11 2005 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its a viscious cycle. The more guys trade early and leave, the more the crowd dies the later days of the shows. No matter how you look at it, that is not good for the hobby.

It is good for the hobby (and the show) when the promoter makes the vendors stay.

Early selling is impossible to police EXCEPT at a show site like Peotone or Ohio Gas. Noone is saying that guys shouldn't trade at the hotels (other than guys setting up early at the hotels where the big shows are held).

Just because someone has an opposing viewpoint doesn't mean they're complaining. Its dialog.
Like I said before, I thank the promoters for their efforts. One year the vendors gave Wayne a standing ovation after the show at Peotone. The show promoters aren't getting rich from doing these shows so its possible to conclude that they are doing it for the love of the hobby. Much like the reason most of us participate on this site.

I only use Peotone because the buyer/vendor ratio is higher there than any show I've attended including Iowa Gas. The promoters at Peotone must be doing something right.

Although Peotone is realitively close to Chicago don't be mistaken thinking that's where all the buyers come from. Its not unusual for buyers to come from surrounding states. They get more buyers than the other small shows for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is they know the vendors will still be there when they arrive.

Collectors all spend the same amount....all we can.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#70532 Thu Aug 11 2005 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi- Am I too late-??? not much left to be said-I do about 6 shows a year- Columbus being the largest- Im usurally one of the last standing as Im by myself - have a bunch of small stuff to pack up and not in any great rush to go-I always end up selling some small stuff to the people who arrive at the last minute-when you are one of the few still there you get most of their attention- I do quite often hear "Wasnt this advertised as running to noon??" Most say that next year they will come earlier-At Columbus I did very good sat morn selling some signs etc to other vendors who had some money to spend as they made their last lap around before leaving- also was offered a variety of items at very good prices by vendors who were packing up-I always stay for sat morn- have already paid for nite in Hotel- got a 8+ hr ride home- why rush to leave-might as well get every last $$$ thats out there- Just my 2 cents-thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#70533 Thu Aug 11 2005 09:15 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I love my VENDOr 44.. keeps the rodeo pop cool while I read this..

#70534 Thu Aug 11 2005 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IT DON'T MATTER WHAT YOUR DOING.

"YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL THE PEOPLE, ALL THE TIME.
AND SOME PEOPLE YOU CAN'T PLEASE ANY TIME "!

#70535 Fri Aug 12 2005 04:20 AM
Online Cool
This topic has gone off track. I have removed most of the comments after the topic started going off on a tangent. Political correctness also seems to be one of those unwinnable fights. It is OK to disagree, as long as we stay away from name calling, personal negative comments and try show respect for each other, including those who are reading this and are not active in the current discussion.

I'm closing this topic to let everyone take a deep breath and get back to helping each other and sharing the fun of this hobby.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 08-12-2005).]

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved