Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#709035 Wed May 02 2018 07:50 PM
OP Offline
Any one know who made either of these metal toy gas pumps? I got them in a ebay lot with some plastic marx pumps and gas pump salt and peppers. My guess would be Tootsie toy or Migitoy or the like but can't find any markings on them. Kind of wonder if they got Shell's approval for the globe on the one. Thanks. (oops, sorry the pic loaded sideways)

toy pumps.JPG
toy pumps

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
PetroJeff #709045 Wed May 02 2018 09:39 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have about 100 of them and they are for sale. None of them are marked, but I do have a number of pictures of the toy stations. This way you can match them up.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
PetroJeff #709170 Sat May 05 2018 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love the Shell one, had contacted that seller multiple times about it with no response, unfortunately. Glad to see someone got the lot. If you ever part with that Shell pump, I’d love to add it to the couple of toy pumps I have, can’t say I’ve ever seen that particular one. It’s a bummer but more times than not these pumps have no markings other than a “Made in ____” marking, so when they get separated from whatever they were originally part of, it makes it near impossible to tell who made each.

It seems these sets were more prolific in Europe (more so in England than anywhere else). One of the more common sets are from the manufacturers of Dinky Toys. These usually came in station island sets with two pumps and a pole sign. The older ones were cast iron and more detailed (seperate globes, hose/nozzle, etc) the newer sets eventually becoming less and less detailed before turning over to plastic.

Some of the coolest ones you’ll come across are the lithograph toy stations (whose pumps occasionally get separated from the rest of the station) the best of which, in my opinion, are the ones from Germany. I’ve been biding my time to grab a full lithograph station that wasn’t 300€ or more.

The two in the picture I’ll attach really impressed me with their detail, I couldn’t not pick them up. From the ad glass, the globes, faces, just really neat little toys. I found it even more fascinating that they took the time to make each detail specific to a pump used in England with the proper matching brand on the globe and ad glass. I’ve seen BP, FINA and a couple more brands with this level of detail...really neat items.

3957B712-6891-4031-A142-67262C70C365.jpeg

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Jack Sim #709171 Sat May 05 2018 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Jack Sim
I have about 100 of them and they are for sale. None of them are marked, but I do have a number of pictures of the toy stations. This way you can match them up.

Jack, I’d love to have a crack at any of those hundred pumps. Feel free to contact me if you would ever like to unload some. Thank you!

Last edited by RedHat; Sat May 05 2018 01:18 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
PetroJeff #709185 Sat May 05 2018 06:10 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Since my book is finished and with the person who is putting it together, I now have some free time. My intention is to put as many items here on OG and on Ebay. Watch the Petro Items for Sale with prices section.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
PetroJeff #709762 Wed May 16 2018 08:04 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. I guess for now it's just another mystery.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved